View Full Version : Have you ever heard of a learning disability Dyscalculia?

Sunflower111
01-12-11, 04:05 PM
Well, it has been found just couple years ago, the 3rd annual Dyscalculia and Maths Learning Difficulties conference will be hold in London 2011. I just want to list how Dyscalcuila impacted my adult life? Dyscalculia isn't something you can take a pill for ,it's something you have to live with. The good news is that it is a recognized learning disability, just like dyslexia or dysphasia.

1. I can't go to the college because all my scores from that 3 classes (Math, Chemistry and Geography) are terrible.
<O:p</O:p
2. Mom bought me a keyboard when I was 17, and send me to a class learn how to play. I had to quit because I can't read the notes and use 2 hands play the same time.
3. One day the cop block the high way exit (the one I get off from work to go home) after the Hurricane. I freaked out because I don't know how to get back home from a different way. The cop yelled at me " Mam, you need to learn how to go home in a different way. " So I had to call my husband let him direct me on the phone to drive home from the next exit.
4. I also work at the front desk, I can't remember the guests face or their names. When I had to check back with the manager about the issues, all the sudden I can't recall their names and faces. I always make a joke myself that I can't never be a witnesses at a crime scene, there is no way I can't remember what I saw.
5. When I am at the intersection, I usually get so confused should I turn right or left, and most of the time I made the wrong turn and get lost. And other times I just keep getting lost where ever I go.
6. When I am at the department store, I do not like to look at those lay out screen, I prefer to ask the information desk in person. Because I can't read the map.
7. I have very poor ability to "visualize or picture" the location of the geographical locations of states, countries, oceans, streets. Since I am from China a lot of my American friends who have been there will tell me things about China, when they ask me a city if located at the place they think it is , my answer in my mind will be OH My God, I don't know. That is a terrible feeling and I am so afraid when they ask me this kind of questions.
8. I love watch movies, but after couple months I can't remember what's the story or who is the actor, unless I re watch it again.
9. When have a multiple doctor appointments, I have to write down specific what its for, if not I get confused which is which. I had to call the doctor office to reconfirm it.

10. When I am doing shopping I only can add up 2 or 3 items in my mind, more than that I can't do it. I have to either write down the price or use the Calculator.

11. If I have 5 files with numbers(like bills) in my email, I only can work on it when it is print out. I can't do it by switch the computer screen.

Ok, that is how I live with my life, I saw so many videos they talk about how it affect the child but not much more about adult life. I tried to call my Psychiatrist here in Dubai, but the receptionist sounds like she never heard this Dsycalucia before. I really hope they have the knowledge about this and get me some help. I was so worried my Alzheimer's( I thought I had this) will be getting worse before I am 70. The Article about Dyscalculia I saw like a OH MY GOD to me.

RedHairedWitch
01-12-11, 04:23 PM
I have it. I avoid math at all costs.

Sunflower111
01-12-11, 04:30 PM
I have it. I avoid math at all costs.

Do you have other problems like me? Dyscalculia not only impairs math and number abilities (forgetting concepts, transposing numbers), it also involves direction sense and memory of how things are laid out, Difficulty sight-reading music or learning instrument fingerings, bad memory for names...

bree
01-12-11, 04:41 PM
is this a spectrum thing, i mean can some have it worse than others?

Sunflower111
01-12-11, 04:57 PM
is this a spectrum thing, i mean can some have it worse than others?

It just been discovered I believe 2 years ago, and all I know is my condition fit perfectly. I did reserarch on it and looks like they have some ways to help the kids with this condition by games. But like me, I never had any help, so after school gets really bad in adult life. Just like ADD I believe, the earier find out the better for your future. But since it is so new, so there is not so many places to go. The good news is I find out so many adults live just like me, and also have a fourm like this one, so I am not alone. :) I need to get this message out so more people can see it. If they are like me, they will understand what I am talking about right away. That was also how I found out what I have.

mctavish23
01-17-11, 12:34 AM
Yes.

It's been around a long time.

It's considered a neurological impairment.

The prefix determines the designation.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

sighduck
01-21-11, 05:15 AM
http://www.awasu.com/weblog/content/MathAtheist.jpeg

i just find this picture to be an epic win with regards to this topic :D

EYEFORGOT
01-21-11, 08:39 AM
http://www.dyscalculia.org/

I know there's a forum out there as well, but I don't think it's from this site. I noticed several books on there but I never thought of reading about it; I just figure I can't do anything about it so I'll go through life hoping I don't make any major mistakes with my checking account.