View Full Version : Appointment in February

speculative
01-13-11, 01:33 PM
Greetings. I have an appointment in February to get evaluated for adhd. My cousin was diagnosed recently, and based on information she found out from that, my mom suggested I go get evaluated. It seems like evaluations vary highly. Some people see their family doc and he gives them a scrip right away, some people go to psychologists and are evaluated over a period of weeks, etc. I scheduled with a psychiatrist who does work with adhd patients. Never been to a mental health profesional before, so not sure what to expect, but the first appointment is an initial intake.

-irratibility: blowing up at small things, such as yesterday when I went to check my mail and I shut the car off, got out of the car, then when I went to get my key I had actually taken it off the car keychain and put it in the armrest like I had wanted to because I always have to shut off my car which I don't like if it is on my keychain, but then I forgot I had done that. So, I swore and slammed the car door after going back and getting the key out. (I will forget and shut the car off again next time.)

-excitability? (not sure, but mentioning this in case): Normally, I am fairly ok (mostly even-keeled, though still get worked up off and on) at home where I limit my stimulation to watching a tv show or listening to music. However, I work retail and there are lights and noise and it is so crowded you cannot physically move from one place to another because people are a few inches apart (if I don't hug my arms close to my side I bump into the people working next to me). So, after work I am "wound up" and talking a million miles an hour and I go to visit my folks and they do not like it and my dad frowns and gets very grumpy and I simply tell them that tough cookies because this is how I have to be all day at work because if you do not look like you are working for a few seconds you have a manager on you.

-difficulty when performing detailed, linear tasks: I work in tech support, and there are detailed, sometimes lengthy processes/procedures to follow. It seems like co-workers are much better at this. They hit the ground running while I am trying to figure out what to do, how to do it, and trying not to forget crucial steps along the way. Most people that know me say I'm intelligent - got mostly A's in high school and college. However, with people standing around talking, co-workers talking, managers randomly asking me questions while I am working on something, the customer talking while I am trying to work, loud music playing, I find it very difficult to concentrate. Then, I will get to the end of a process, only to find that I did the first step wrong and have to do the whole thing over. Some days are better than others.

-interrupting/arrogant: I browsed "Driven to Distraction" and found it useful so bought it yesterday. Mainly because of a part in it that I had not read in other adhd resources. There was something about adhd'ers coming off as a bit odd or arrogant to others because they cannot focus on people's reaction to them during communication. At one of my previous jobs, my boss complained about me interrupting him constantly, even though I would wait after he was done speaking what I thought was 10-30 seconds and then speak. (Usually if you speak then don't for 10 seconds, it means you're done, right??) Also, he said that other people thought I was arrogant. My family has never thought this, so I thought it was just certain people trying to cause trouble for me (because office politics was so rampant there, according to everyone that worked there, not just my opinion). But I wonder now if this is related? Now where I work it is so busy that everyone all talks at the same time and no one is concerned about it because if you don't talk while someone is talking to you that's all the time you have and you're both gone off to the next task 1 second later so this is making it difficult for me to judge across work environments.

-hyper-focus: my mom says I do this. I'm not sure how I would know. I have lived alone my whole life after graduating college, so there's no one around to notice if I "zone out." However, I have noticed that sometimes I'll get on the Internet after getting home like at 7pm, then forget to cook dinner, then cook something downstairs at 9pm finally, then run back upstairs to check the Internet for a few minutes while my food is cooling, then it is midnight and I've forgotton to eat. Also, in college I would write my papers the night before they were due. My longest stretch is that I wrote a 25 page final paper (for a senior English course) with a 5-page annotated bibliography in the 36 hours before it was due. I pretty much could not start on a project like that at all until it was due, except I did gather research right away and I did think about what I wanted to write beforehand. I used to moderate a forum, and could easily be logged on moderating from when I got home from work through most of the night. I also used to play mmorpg's such as World of Warcraft, and would think nothing of waking up on a weekend and playing until 2am that night. (I don't play those games anymore, nor will I ever again. :o )

-more difficulty in day-to-day tasks than what I assume is normal for other adults: I don't really have friends (all my college friends moved away after college), so I don't have other people to talk with, but my parents say I have great difficulty with "chores." To me, it seems like I do, but it's hard to compare to other adults. For example, if I have a whole day off, and I have to make an appointment, I consider it an accomplishment (not really, but in my world I mean) if the only thing I do all morning is make the appointment. I have been very irritated with my new house, because of all the little things involved. For example, it has granite counter tops, so instead of cleaning the counter in the kitchen when it looks dirty to me, now I have to clean it all the time because the counter top is fancy. The stove has a glass top instead of those metal rings, so now I have to clean it practically after every use, which is driving me totally insane. My parents are a bit ocpd about cleaning and clean their house even when it looks like it has just been cleaned, so they do not understand.

-distractibility: I noticed things more than others. Like a plane far off in the sky that someone else can't see even when I point it out to them, until it comes closer. Or a noise across the room that doesn't catch other people's attention.

-organizing: I didn't feel stressed when I was growing up as a kid, because I knew where everything in the house was. None of it was "organized" well per se, but after being there 10 years I just memorized where everything was at and could easily find things. Since getting out of college and living in various apartments, houses, etc., I never feel comfortable like that anymore because I never know where anything is at, even after I take several weeks to clean/organize and supposedly everything is tidier and neater. At various times, I have had an apartment full of piles.

-motivation/completing tasks: Sometimes, I have had severe lack of motivation for completing tasks. When I lived in the "big city" for a couple of years, I probably had full-blown depression which may have accounted for my lack of motivation, I don't know. So anyways, a few examples. The first is that I am extremely unmotivated to make my bed after I do my laundry. So much so, that I will not clean my sheets unless it's in the morning, because it will take me all day to get to making the bed so I can sleep at night. At times when this has been the worst, I will just sleep in the bed without putting any sheets on it, just on the blankets. Then, I had the idea that I could use my sleeping bag, put it on the bed, and sleep on that instead of making the bed. What?! I now realize how crazy this was. Instead of taking 4 minutes to make the bed, I took 10 minutes to find my sleeping bag and spread it over my bed with the blankets so I could sleep on the bed without having to "make" the bed. I even had a study group over and my computer was in my bedroom so we were using it and people were sitting on my bed/using it as a couch and my sleeping bag was on there like a bed spread because I had not "made" the bed. Another example is when I wouldn't do the dishes. For a month, I simply did not do the dishes. There were too many to put in the sink, so I also put them on the counter top. Then, that filled up and I found every space to set dirty dishes I could think of. I put them in the cabinets where the clean dishes had been (once I ran out of clean dishes). I put them in the fridge, in the living room, on the kitchen table, even in the oven and the microwave. I also put them in the dishwasher, but not to wash them, just to set them there so I would not have to deal with them. It became pretty much like that "hoarders" show, but only with dishes not with anything else, because I just would not do the dishes for anything, even though it took more effort to find places to put them than to just rinse them off and put them in the dishwasher.

-time: I am always running late for work, even though I get up hours early. My dad is always frustrated with me that I need to get up two hours before work and I am still running late all the time. I also seem to have a different concept of time than other people. Others seem to remember dates when things happened; I never remember what year I graduated from high school college, what year we went on this or that vacation, etc. I don't see how people remember those kinds of things.

-listening: I usually have to ask people to repeat things several times when they are verbally communicating.

-relationship issues: I don't really have friends or girlfriends; I've always had trouble making friends. However, I have had friends at school, or friends at college, or friends at work, that I have gotten along really well with.

-impulsive spending: when I was a kid, I never had money. Once in awhile, I got an "allowance" that was about 5 cents a month if I did hours of chores every day. When I got to college and had money in my checking account, I spent it on cd's, comic books, etc. Since then video games has been a big money draw. I buy a lot of games that I never even get around to playing. I am not near to going into debt or anything, but spend way more than I want to on unnecessary things.

That's all for now, just wanted to get a first post out there. Cheers.

Oeshi823
01-17-11, 01:13 AM
You must be a long lost twin of mine or something. Good luck at your Appointment, I'm sure you'll get some good answers.

And let me guess, you work at best buy?

I'm the same way with interrupting people when they are talking. I feel like it's an appropriate time to chime in, but apparently it's not. I mean I do listen, hence the reason I have so much to say. It just sucks that I have a response for, quite literally, every word they speak.

StoicNate
01-17-11, 02:37 AM
It's great that your family is supporting you to get diagnosed.
I hope everything goes well.

add_girl
01-17-11, 03:43 AM
Sounds like ADHD to me. Do you find you have a short attention span when reading, listening in class/meetings? Can you read a page of a book without your mind wandering? I think those must be present for you to have ADHD.

speculative
02-15-11, 04:03 PM
Went to my appointment today and got an initial diagnosis of ADHD. They asked a lot of questions to rule out other mood disorders as an explanation for ADHD symptoms and seemed professional and thorough. Starting treatment for anxiety first, and then after that is addressed I will begin addressing the ADHD symptoms after a blood test to rule out other medical possibilities for ADHD symptoms.

I've been reading Driven to Distraction, and just checked out a couple of other books at the library. Now that I have an initial diagnosis, I'll be doing more research. This forum seems like a great resource.