View Full Version : "I wish that wasn't there"

stef
01-16-11, 06:29 PM
I think there's a cleaning subforum, but I can't find it :)

Have you noticed, that it's just impossible to move or put away objects sometimes? then it's in your line of vision and annoying you.

we were quickly cleaning the bathroom yesterday (my mother in law came over) and my husband moved this small box of detergent which had been on the floor by the laundry hamper for weeks. really I hated seeing that thing every morning but it didn't even occur to me to MOVE it somewhere else.

then he even moved the laundry hamper to clean behind it (ah! wow good idea); and while I (more or less) finished cleaning the bathroom he cleared off the kitchen table (it's like a work island kind of, we don't eat in the kitchen) completely and cleaned that. I said "wow how did you do that"?! LOL
I never thought to move EVERYTHING off it, and clean it at once...

danelady
01-16-11, 06:37 PM
OMG! Now that you mention it,I so know know what you're talking about! Is it that our ability to adapt takes over and we adapt to every single thing that clutters our lives?

I dunno,but I so get what you mean,Stef!

stef
01-16-11, 06:40 PM
that must be it!!
(typing this, looking at the paper on the floor that was around the yarn I started using a few days ago...)

anonymouslyadd
01-16-11, 06:57 PM
OMG! Now that you mention it,I so know know what you're talking about! Is it that our ability to adapt takes over and we adapt to every single thing that clutters our lives?

I dunno,but I so get what you mean,Stef!

I think we can adapt, but I think the executive functions make it difficult for us to take care of the clutter that accumulates.

RedHairedWitch
01-16-11, 07:01 PM
It wasn't until I was like 26 or so that I learned to move stuff to clean. I still kind of have to make myself do it.

Another revelation I had around that time was also to clean from the top down, because you know, if you wipe off the counters after cleaning the floor you just got crumbs on the floor. LOL

meadd823
01-21-11, 02:17 PM
I mostly leave things in places because I do not know where to move them to - most of my stuff tends to be against walls. Me and Gary are both hyper so thing in the center of the room do not last long before some one falls over it and tosses said offending object outside- With that being said the only time tops of counters desk and tables gets cleaned off is when the cats knock stuff off onto the floor and then we fall over it and finally get around to dealing with it or tossing it outside -{ we have acreage } not a perfect system but I guess it could be called that

Oh and moving - we moved here three years ago this past November and I still have stuff in boxes from that move - I did manage to put most of the boxes out of sight and you know what they say - Out of sight out of mind :D

Joker_Girl
01-22-11, 10:08 AM
I hate all the clutter in my house but i feel powerless to do anything about it. When I look at it, I feel stressed out, but when I clean I just move it from one place to another.

It doesn't help that our kids are slobs. They are worse than I am about making a mess and not cleaning it up.

If I could afford it, I would literally have someone decorate my house, because I suck at it, and hire a maid. In fact, I have thought about that anyways, but somehow I just can't do it because I see a maid as something someone rich has, and I just can't do it. Plus I would be ashamed to let the maid see it like it is.

When my kids were little I was actually afraid sometimes I would get turned in for being a pigsty. I never have anything "gross" or "dirty" but more like piles of clothes in the laundry room, piles of folded clothes on the couch, piles of mail and papers, etc.

Scooter77
01-22-11, 06:02 PM
Sometimes someone else will move something, or do something differently and I'll be amazed because it just never occurred to me to do that!
And it's normally something really simple.....

I don't think it's being adaptive, I think it's more that my brain is thinking of other things or in other ways - I skip the basics sometimes, they don't even register with me.

stef
01-23-11, 01:53 PM
Sometimes someone else will move something, or do something differently and I'll be amazed because it just never occurred to me to do that!
And it's normally something really simple.....
that's exactly what I mean! mega frustrating.

tipoo
01-23-11, 07:23 PM
that's exactly what I mean! mega frustrating.

Yup, exactly

weeonekasey
01-24-11, 03:03 PM
ITs crazy... I am new to others with ADD/ADHD, and I get alot of ppl telling me I am lazy or such, but thats exactly what I think... its like a whole revelation. I hate to loose control of my stuff also, I like where I can see it because at lest I know I can find it (because I will in no way remember where I put it even if it is where it is supposed to be) so I just accumilate things around me.
Isnt it nice with mothers or in-laws come over just to help? My mother in law comes and as a christmas or birthday gift comes to help out. I had a end table with drawers that we never put stuff in, yet had a ton of things everywhere. She is a very organized person (husband has OCD tendencies) and she just looked at my kitchen table where I keep diapers, put them in a drawer. It was like you said, a revelation!! it can go in a drawer?? who knew? (okay, she did.. lol)