View Full Version : Automating perscriptions

indolering
01-17-11, 06:48 AM
I haven't (yet) implimented this fully, but I was contemplating the huge PITA it is to go pickup my ADHD meds from the doctor and physically deliver them to the pharmacy.

I forget, I run out of meds, I drive to the docs offic, I drive to the pharmacy, I wait 20 minutes, I get my meds. Everything else comes in 90 day shipments from a mail-order pharmacy.

Which got me thinking: my doctor could mail the physical perscription to the pharmacy and I can pick them up. That would cut out 75% of the hassle but I would still forget and it requires more effort on the doctors part.

Then I remembered that Freshbooks has an automated snail-mail invoicing system: I can set-up a monthly "invoice" that is sent to my doctor with a reminder of what I need him to perscribe and he can mail it to the pharmacy via the return envelope. I need to give him a book of stamps, but even then the yearly cost will be under $20!

Lunacie
01-17-11, 09:53 AM
I haven't (yet) implimented this fully, but I was contemplating the huge PITA it is to go pickup my ADHD meds from the doctor and physically deliver them to the pharmacy.

I forget, I run out of meds, I drive to the docs offic, I drive to the pharmacy, I wait 20 minutes, I get my meds. Everything else comes in 90 day shipments from a mail-order pharmacy.

Which got me thinking: my doctor could mail the physical perscription to the pharmacy and I can pick them up. That would cut out 75% of the hassle but I would still forget and it requires more effort on the doctors part.

Then I remembered that Freshbooks has an automated snail-mail invoicing system: I can set-up a monthly "invoice" that is sent to my doctor with a reminder of what I need him to perscribe and he can mail it to the pharmacy via the return envelope. I need to give him a book of stamps, but even then the yearly cost will be under $20!

It can't be done that way here. The family doc can fax a script for Risperidone to the pharmacy and all we have to do is pick it up. But for the Class 2 stimulant meds, we have to go to the doc's office and pick up the script and deliver it to the pharmacy ourselves. Yeah, it's a hassle.

Joker_Girl
01-19-11, 01:25 AM
That would indeed be wonderful to not have to hassle with it.

But same here, schedule II drug, I have to call them when I am getting low, either go up and get the script or have them drop it off (can't be faxed or called in), and go pick it up.

This, and the fact that the Ritalin seems to be less and less effective, are reasons that I am going to TRY Strattera when they come out with a generic of it. If they will let me, which I dont know why they wouldn't. But who knows.

water
01-19-11, 02:02 AM
In Washington state there is no legal impediment to a doctor mailing a prescription directly to a pharmacy. However, your doctor can only write prescriptions in one of two ways: one prescription, or three prescriptions that provide you with a 90-day supply (issues on the same day) that are considered "sequential" and must be marked with the dates on which they can be filled. The latter is logistically difficult because now your pharmacy somehow has to remember to fill those drugs for you on certain dates, and that may be considered "refilling."

Be prepared for your doctor to decline to do this. It puts the burden and responsibility on your doctor to ensure that the prescriptions are mailed and received and incurs more work on the part of their staff.

A better approach is to ask your doctor if they can electronically transmit prescriptions to your pharmacy. This was legalized federally in 2010 and there is no WA law to prohibit it. Note that "electronically" does not include faxing.

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfcfr/CFRSearch.cfm?CFRPart=1305&showFR=1&subpartNode=21:9.0.1.1.6.3