View Full Version : what is the price of vyvanse without insurance

mason2010
01-17-11, 10:07 AM
Hello all!!!! new here and i was wondering how much dose Vyvanse cost without insurance obviously.

anonymouslyadd
01-17-11, 10:10 AM
You can call your pharmacist for that one. That's what I did when I was trying to figure out how much adderall cost.

mason2010
01-17-11, 10:14 AM
oh alright so just call Walgreen's or where ever? Thanks should of known that one XD

anonymouslyadd
01-17-11, 10:19 AM
Yes, call whatever pharmacy you use or expect to use, and they'll be able to give you the price. Mine is Rite Aid.

anonymouslyadd
01-17-11, 10:19 AM
Sometimes we adders need a little prompting or someone to give us an idea.

mason2010
01-17-11, 10:22 AM
HaHa yup just like my teachers used to say to me its like pulling teeth to get information to me and from me.

anonymouslyadd
01-17-11, 10:26 AM
Sounds like you had a******* teachers. I mean that one.

Kimmy1989
01-17-11, 03:59 PM
It's around 190 for 30days supply of 30mg. I checked on CVS (I used to work there so my co workers have no problem informing me on the phone). If you have problems affording it, there's currently a coupon on their website for free 30day supply. Also they have patient assistance program that i'm enrolled on. It about 2-3 weeks to be approved and receive my card. Faxing the forms seemed to help hurry the process. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh I also checked with a neighborhood pharmacy and the price was around 170

drewm
01-18-11, 12:48 AM
40mg would run 150 for me at the local cvs for 30 pills.

I don't know if that is a special price though because of my insurance. I have a high deductible plan so I have to pay 100% of the cost until I hit my decuctible for the year - but it is possible that there is one price for the insurance company vs someone just walking in off the street.

Trooper Keith
01-18-11, 12:54 AM
Many pharmacies will not price controlled substances on the phone, so's you know.

As for charging people without insurance differently than people with insurance, I'm fairly certain that is illegal. I may be wrong though.

drewm
01-18-11, 01:29 AM
Many pharmacies will not price controlled substances on the phone, so's you know.

As for charging people without insurance differently than people with insurance, I'm fairly certain that is illegal. I may be wrong though.

I sure hope it isn't illegal. I think that if you buy a whole lot of something, like Adderall, you should be able to get a bulk discount.

I know when I go to the doctor, they submit one number to the insurance company, but get much less. I think that is part of the price they pay for being in network.

Canuck223
01-18-11, 04:38 AM

The price charged is the same. However, they may offer a coupon or other discount.

In Ontario, my son's 50mg 30 day supply runs $165 or so, so $170US at todays exchange rate.

Nickis2legit
01-18-11, 06:47 PM
I pay $7.50 with my insurance, I don't know what i'd do without it..

I don't see why anyone apposes the new healthcare bill -_-

Canuck223
01-18-11, 09:31 PM
I don't see why anyone apposes the new healthcare bill -_-

California is already broke. Picture your state budget when $.40 of every tax dollar collected is going to health care.

Ask your parents what percent of thier income goes to pay state and federal taxes. In my corner of the universe, a married couple each earning $45K a year will pay 25% of thier income in payrole deductions. That's besides a 13% sales tax on virtually everything, and a 1% average property tax on your home.

It's not a black and white issue.

elizadoo47
01-27-11, 07:37 PM
At my local Target I just filled a prescription. I was told the cost of a 1-month supply is $170+/-. I have a 1/2 price co-pay card from Shire that I am using, so my cost comes down to about $80 a month. However, the card expires in May.

I am looking for a substitute for the Vyvanse after May. I have already tried the Teva amp salts 10, 15 and 20 mg with no luck. Not even the hint of success. Coffee worked better.

drewm
01-27-11, 09:44 PM
Glad I found this thread again.

I went to a new pharmacy today. I was prescribed something that is a "compound" (not for adhd) so they have to make it there, which I was told the chain I go to would probably not be able to do.

So since it is the new year and my 1600 dollar deductible started over, I asked them if they had a ballpark of what it will cost. The pharmacist said they would have to see what the insurance company comes back with so I explained that I would have to pay the full cost since I'm using a high deductible health plan. He then explained that most people have the mosconception that the pharmacy sets the price, that it is actually the insurance company that sets the price so even though I would have to pay the "full amount" they wouldn't know what that number is until the insurance company tells them.

Has anyone else heard of this?

elizadoo47
01-29-11, 12:42 PM
Yes--that is exactly how it works through my insurance BC/BS. I was told this by numerous pharmacists and I still don't understand what it means.

Also, I was told by the pharmacist at Target that the price of the med changes from day to day and the amount the insurance company is willing to pay changes from day to day. Our insurance contacts are pretty much worthless.

I would like to know what the best insurance plans for meds are. For starters: BC/BS here in Florida only pays $10- towards Vyvanse, leaving me to pick up the $150+- balance every month.

That's why I am thinking of getting Dexedrine spansules as a back-up--much cheaper!

Canuck223
03-07-11, 08:41 AM
Glad I found this thread again.

Has anyone else heard of this?

I believe here in Ontario, it works similar. Essentially it is the province that is the purchaser of the drugs. The pharmacy get the drugs at cost from the distributors, and they don't mark up the price. They charge a dispensing fee to cover thier overhead and profit. The insurance companies pay the bill, either with a co=pay or deductable, or other arraingement.

My own drug plan covers most drugs, but there is a $7 co-pay. My wife's plan normally covers this difference, so we pay nothing out of pocket. However, her plan doesn't pay for advanced ADHD meds.

add_me
03-07-11, 07:42 PM
Is Vyvanse controlled substance like Adderall? With Adderall I couldn't get a 3 month supply. I had to see the doctor each month for a prescription.

Canuck223
03-07-11, 08:02 PM
Is Vyvanse controlled substance like Adderall? With Adderall I couldn't get a 3 month supply. I had to see the doctor each month for a prescription.

I believe every state has it's own particular rules about narcotic prescriptions, but it seems that most limit you to not more than 30 days.

Vyvanse is treated the same as Adderall in the US.

In Canada, it looks like you can only get 30 days of most opiates, but ADHD meds are slightly less controlled. In theory I could fill my 100 capsule prescription if I was prepared to pay for it. My insurance company only pays for 30 days at a time, so I just get 30 days at a time.

add_me
03-08-11, 11:15 AM
I believe every state has it's own particular rules about narcotic prescriptions, but it seems that most limit you to not more than 30 days.

Vyvanse is treated the same as Adderall in the US.

In Canada, it looks like you can only get 30 days of most opiates, but ADHD meds are slightly less controlled. In theory I could fill my 100 capsule prescription if I was prepared to pay for it. My insurance company only pays for 30 days at a time, so I just get 30 days at a time.

Thank you for your response, do you have visit the doctor every 30 days for a new prescription? I have no insurance, so would I have to pay for a doctor's visit each month and for the pills? Is this how it is done in the US?

Kimmy1989
03-10-11, 03:11 AM
Thank you for your response, do you have visit the doctor every 30 days for a new prescription? I have no insurance, so would I have to pay for a doctor's visit each month and for the pills? Is this how it is done in the US?

It depends on how often the doctor wants to see you. My doctor requires me to come in every month for a check up and then gives me scripts.

But other doctors will see you every couple of months if things seem to be controlled and it's unnecessary to see you that often. Unfortunately narcotic prescriptions can only be written for 30days at a time. If the doctor does not require you to see them every month then you can probably just go to the office and pick them up without a visit.

I've seen doctor actually mail the scripts to the patients. Even narcotics.

I work in a pharmacy so I do know a little about the ins and outs of insurance companies and pharmacies.

And I know someone asked about the deductibles and I believe I can answer that from experience. Some insurance companies will make you pick up the whole price till the deductible is met but there are some that will cover a small bit of it till the deductible is hit. Pharmacies are pretty reluctant to give you a price off the top of their head because they may be wrong and people will hold them against it. I've seen it happen and I never give prices off the top of my head just because it causes problems at times. Other times, the computers that the pharmacies use do not have the updated prices of medications in it so just looking up the cash price of medications can also be inaccurate.

The costs of medication do change often unfortunately. I don't know why they do that but yea, it sucks. If you have insurance though, the changes don't matter. You just pay the co-pay.

The best insurance that I've seen so far are the ones for government employees. I don't know about all states, but here in NJ generics are $3 and brands are $10 unless the medication is at a higher tier which is pretty rare and I've only seen it happen like once in my 2-3yr experience and it was to my boyfriend.

Canuck223
03-11-11, 11:35 PM

In Canada, you can get a script for whatever the doctor feels is appropriate. There are rules about how the script is to be written, depending on the class of drug.

For stimulants like Adderall or Ritalin, the doctor can call in a prescription, or write one for as many pills as common sense suggests.

My son's doctor writes his for 6 months at a time, with instructions to dispense a 30 day supply every 28 days. I thought that odd, but it's supposed to provide flexibility in picking up your prescription.

My doctor was seeing me every month while we played with the dosage and checked my blood pressure. Now that there's no changes pending, I get a script for 100 days. However, since my insurance only pays for 30 days at a time, I'm going to ask next time for multiples of 30.

Again, this is Canada, so your mileage may vary.

WorkAholic
10-17-11, 08:44 PM
My psychiatrist sends me 90 day prescriptions but I have only been getting 15 filled at a time because I am in the process of trying different strengths and medications and it is very expensive (no insurance). The pharmacies will fill 90 but if I only take part of the prescription (anything under than 90) the remainder of the pills won't be able to be filled (says the pharmacies). I'll just need a new script. I would rather only have part filled then pay all the money and be on the wrong med or dose. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

BR549
10-17-11, 10:36 PM
My psychiatrist sends me 90 day prescriptions but I have only been getting 15 filled at a time because I am in the process of trying different strengths and medications and it is very expensive (no insurance). The pharmacies will fill 90 but if I only take part of the prescription (anything under than 90) the remainder of the pills won't be able to be filled (says the pharmacies). I'll just need a new script. I would rather only have part filled then pay all the money and be on the wrong med or dose. I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

You're saying that you get a script for 90 pills, but ask for 15 pills instead, right?

Your pharmacists is correct. The pharmacy is able to do a partial fill of a scheduled prescription. If the remainder of that prescription isn't filled within 72 hours, you will have to go back to your doctor for a new prescription.

From DEA Diversion Control, Section X-Dispensing Requirements, Emergency Dispensing:

Partial Dispensing

A prescription for a schedule II controlled substance may be partially dispensed if the pharmacist is unable to supply the full quantity of a written or emergency oral (telephone) prescription, provided the pharmacist notes the quantity supplied on the front of the written prescription, on a written record of the emergency oral prescription, or in the electronic prescription record. The remaining portion may be dispensed within 72 hours of the first partial dispensing. However, if the remaining portion is not or cannot be filled within the 72 hour period, the pharmacist must notify the prescribing practitioner. No further quantity may be supplied beyond 72 hours without a new prescription.

www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/manuals/pharm2/pharm_content.htm#10

It might be easier to just ask your doctor to write you a prescription for 15 pills at a time if you are titrating up or down.

WorkAholic
10-17-11, 11:16 PM
Right, that's exactly what I was trying to say!

He writes a full script even if I tell him I am only going to fill part of it. He's less than average, I'm in the process of trying to find another doctor.

WorkAholic
10-21-11, 06:31 PM
Ok I just picked up a script of Vyvanse (trying it instead of Adderall). I got 30 pills, 50mg, no insurance, and the price was $167

zabalex
10-21-11, 06:44 PM
Different pharmacies have different arrangements with suppliers, and it varies from state to state, from country to country.
I know in the US for example, the price for the same medication can differ sinficinantly, and be as much as 2 time or 3 times more than another nearby pharmacy. Walmart, Target, Wallgreens, RideAid all have different prices.