View Full Version : Mirtazapine (Remeron/Miron etc. etc.) for sleep

addhell
01-17-11, 01:10 PM
I've read a lot about this medication for sleep. Well, maybe too much because you almost get proportionally as many different opinions as how much you read :rolleyes:

My question for those who use it for sleep is (based on YOUR experience);

How long before bed to take Mirtazapine? How long does it take for the drug to make you sleepy?

Please share your experience, thankssss! :o

APSJ
01-17-11, 01:21 PM
I've been taking it for sleep for a couple of years, and it takes about an hour to work for me.

Cnkack
01-13-13, 11:19 AM
I take it as needed for sleep. The lower the dose the more sedative it is. It doesn't matter if you have been taking 15 mg for months, as soon as you break it in half and take it (at least for myself and for most others) it will make you want to sleep. It normally works for me within 30 min. Sometimes sooner if let is dissolve under my tongue.

Raye
01-20-13, 03:22 AM
I took this on a trial basis along with abilify. Within an hour I was passed out, but the next day I could hardly keep my eyes open.

sarahsweets
01-20-13, 09:55 AM
I believe(from a really awesome friend who pointed this out to me) that Remeron is a tetracyclic antidepressant...mainly used for depression but also more off label for sleep. My son has been taking it for years and it takes about an hour to work.

theloner
01-23-13, 08:00 AM
I take it before I go to bed, 15 min I'm asleep, it does make you more tired in am but the adhd drugs will take that right away.

It sure helps with my mood, I never did well on the so called designer anti depressants

known_guy
02-02-13, 03:46 AM
Remeron is my favorite medication for sleep... it also helps with my appetite when I'm depressed (or taking stimulants regularly), so it's a win-win-win medication for me. I'd generally take it an hour or two before bedtime.

delaware13
04-05-13, 08:10 PM
I've only been on Remeron(15mg) for 4-5 nights now and believe it is somewhat better than Trazodone but with some trade offs. The first 2 nights, I slept until 7:30am and woke up completely refreshed, but I kind of mingled in bed for an extra 15 mins watching the morning news and I did NOT want to get up and go and I felt like I wanted to go back to sleep. This has gone away now and the only thing that got me out of that slump was hopping out of bed and taking my vyvanse.

Pros (for me): fast acting within 20 mins I can sleep, no grogginess in the morning, no vivid nightmares, fairly cheap prescription ($6 with my insurance for 30)

Cons (for me): the desire to want to keep sleeping some mornings, feels like my ADD meds take longer to kick-in in the AM, and increased appetite.

I think the increased appetite is noteworthy because for me at least it makes me want to late night snack if I don't go to bed immediately, and for breakfast I crave a huge meal. While on my vyvanse I don't have much of a appetite suppressant so I'm kind of at a net gain of appetite which I don't really need for my BMI.

Mac181
04-18-13, 08:16 AM
What would this do for someone who isn't depressed but has sleeping problems? I'm a rather happy person, so the idea of messing with my serotonin system is not something that fills me with optimism. I've tried Valdoxan for sleep, which is also an anti-depressant (technically) but a melatonin receptor agonist. It isn't doing much for me (positive or negative).

APSJ
04-18-13, 07:58 PM
I took half of the smallest tab, which I believe is under the minimum recommended dose, for quite a while for sleep before moving up to the therapeutic dose when depression returned. Didn't really notice any effects other than helping the insomnia on the lower dose

known_guy
05-05-13, 01:29 AM
I also eventually dropped down to a dose of 7.5mg (albeit during a tapering off period), but luckily the help with sleep was still present. Reflecting back, I think it may've been best for me to have just stuck onto that. I'm considering talking about adding back on Remeron, whilst ridding myself of Tenex, Vistaril, and maybe even Cymbalta. It sounds like a very good trade-off and medication simplification for me.

Nate W
06-14-13, 09:27 PM
I'm here to tell you at some point of taking Remeron, it completely looses its hypnotic effect. I've been taking 30 mg/day for about two years now. It no longer makes me feel the slightest bit tired. I think that after four or five months it no longer made me sleepy.

--Nate

APSJ
06-14-13, 09:52 PM
I'm here to tell you at some point of taking Remeron, it completely looses its hypnotic effect. I've been taking 30 mg/day for about two years now. It no longer makes me feel the slightest bit tired. I think that after four or five months it no longer made me sleepy.

--Nate

I've been 15 mg for a few years now, and it still helps me sleep. One odd thing about mirtazapine my psychiatrist told me when I started on it is that lower doses have a greater sedating effect than higher doses, because, as best I recall, the medication has a stimulant effect that counters the sedating one at higher doses.

known_guy
06-17-13, 01:39 AM
I've been 15 mg for a few years now, and it still helps me sleep. One odd thing about mirtazapine my psychiatrist told me when I started on it is that lower doses have a greater sedating effect than higher doses, because, as best I recall, the medication has a stimulant effect that counters the sedating one at higher doses.

I concur. While the first couple days into taking Remeron result in super long nights of sleep, I find that things nicely settle into a "normal" sleep routine. I feel like it regulates my sleep cycle such that I can sleep at a recommended hour and wake up at an ideal time. It doesn't knock me out like Restoril does when, say, I am in an inpatient unit and in dire need of sleep, but it really works wonders for maintaining regularity with my sleep schedule.

Dunner
02-25-14, 04:40 AM
Sorry for bringing up an old thread, but Google found posts I was looking for.

I've read where less Mirtazapine is more sedating, but it is not working for me. PC wrote me for 30mg last Thursday. Tried that the first couple of nights and nothing. Had to resort to my Ambien CR to get to sleep. Tonight, I took 1/4 (7.5) and nothing. An hour later, another 7.5. Still nothing. Just took (1am) 15mg.

Called Dr and since it's a new med, he wants me to stay on it and see if it works.

My question is: If I stay up, should I feel sleepy? I tried every night to lay down, but I kept tossing and turning. I don't take naps. I was prescribed 2 Ambien CR per night, but my tolerance has built up and they quit working.

I must admit that my tolerance for most meds is pretty high from previous alcohol abuse. What would be a good sleep med to get. I liked the way Ambien worked. 15 minutes and I was out. Woke up refreshed 8 hours or more later. I'm retired and have no time table.

Dunner
02-25-14, 05:28 PM
Just found out I have another appointment with my primary, Thursday for sleep problems. News to me. Hope we can get something worked out.

Dunner
02-25-14, 05:45 PM
Just called my primary for his instructions. Not available. Also just found out I have a sleep med appointment for Thursday. News to me. And then a follow up 3/19. This Dr just moved his office over 20 miles from me. Gonna have to keep track for tax purposes.

Raye
03-01-14, 06:23 AM
remeron put me to sleep fast..but i was
so drowsy when i woke up i felt drunk.

Dunner
03-01-14, 04:23 PM
I have been taking 2 Zolpidem ER 12.5mg every night for about 18 months. My PC wants to detox me for about 3-4 months, as my tolerance got so high, I needed 3 to get good sleep. I love Zolpidem as it puts me to sleep quickly and I sleep 8-9 hours and wake up refreshed.

He wrote me for 1-2 Trazadone nightly. The last two nights I took 2 and waited to get drowsy. Nothing happened. Took another one and still tossed and turned when I laid down. Finally got some sleep, but when I got up, I felt groggy all morning. What am I doing wrong?