View Full Version : Exited... Should I be?

Safvt
01-20-11, 02:56 PM
So I've been working with a therapist for a couple of sessions now, and it seems we both agree on my next step.

Ever since middle school, I've had difficulty focusing, keeping organized, and was often inattentive/forgetful. All of my test scores and my AP course records indicate my potential, but it just hasn't shown in my grades; I recently passed a college Calculus 2 course with a 89 as a senior in high school, for example, all while failing out of Freshman English with a whopping 40. These problems have plagued me for years, so my parents and I finally decided to look into ADHD... apparently my symptoms match almost perfectly (inattentive type).

Anyway, I'm heading to the pharmacy in about an hour to pick up a pers ription for Adderol, and I'm actually incredibly excited. Should I be? I realize that meds aren't magic, but having been completely squashed by overdue college work in the past couple weeks, I'm really looking forward to anything that might help. How much have meds helped you?

anonymouslyadd
01-20-11, 03:07 PM
So I've been working with a therapist for a couple of sessions now, and it seems we both agree on my next step.

Ever since middle school, I've had difficulty focusing, keeping organized, and was often inattentive/forgetful. All of my test scores and my AP course records indicate my potential, but it just hasn't shown in my grades; I recently passed a college Calculus 2 course with a 89 as a senior in high school, for example, all while failing out of Freshman English with a whopping 40. These problems have plagued me for years, so my parents and I finally decided to look into ADHD... apparently my symptoms match almost perfectly (inattentive type).

Anyway, I'm heading to the pharmacy in about an hour to pick up a pers ription for Adderol, and I'm actually incredibly excited. Should I be? I realize that meds aren't magic, but having been completely squashed by overdue college work in the past couple weeks, I'm really looking forward to anything that might help. How much have meds helped you?

Be very excited about your adderall! It makes a fairly big difference in my ability to focus not only in the classroom but while getting to tasks while at home. It also helps with working memory. Adders are lacking in executive functions (ie working memory). I also have less thoughts when I'm on it. I'm taking amphetamine salts (generic for adderall) 10mgs 3 times per day.

Keep posting on here and you will get wonderful feedback from most people. I'm excited for you.

Lottie
01-20-11, 03:29 PM
good luck safvt

WhoaaaaaI'mADD
01-20-11, 11:19 PM
Consider us the same person. I'm called a "high achiever" in school because I push myself hard. AP courses, dual enrollment at a university, etc. However, I can read all of MacBeth and not remember a single word or understand any of what happens. Not to mention I practically kill myself because of the boredom I endure while reading it. If someone explains to me line by line what is happening, it gets a lot better, but otherwise I hit line 1 and I'm gone. It seems like I never interpret things correctly - I don't see symbols, motifs, or understand underlying motives in stories.

I'm good at math only if I visualize/logically go through each problem or have a pattern in the problems where I apply the same thing to each one. Otherwise things take a LONG time. And I can't zone out for math like I can for reading.

I've thought a lot about how I have a very good "buffer" in my brain. Things can flow in and out very easily, but don't get stuck anywhere and therefore don't allow me to learn much - I can sit through a whole lesson in a class and be very excited about the material. Once I get home, all i remember is the cool picture from the powerpoint and that I was really intrigued by the lesson.

Meds help a lot. I like doing work, I stick with stuff instead of zoning out to get through it and subsequently not remembering any of it or learning anything from it. I also don't forget as many things. Math, for some reason, is somewhat difficult for me with meds, but i still pick it up more quickly. And READING, oh my goodness, is fantastic when I take my adderall. I love it. I understand/stick with the book, and I understand the themes/motifs/symbols etc.

Good luck, if my experience is any indication, adderall will be fantastic for you!

Safvt
01-21-11, 03:49 PM
Consider us the same person. I'm called a "high achiever" in school because I push myself hard. AP courses, dual enrollment at a university, etc. However, I can read all of MacBeth and not remember a single word or understand any of what happens. Not to mention I practically kill myself because of the boredom I endure while reading it. If someone explains to me line by line what is happening, it gets a lot better, but otherwise I hit line 1 and I'm gone. It seems like I never interpret things correctly - I don't see symbols, motifs, or understand underlying motives in stories.

I'm good at math only if I visualize/logically go through each problem or have a pattern in the problems where I apply the same thing to each one. Otherwise things take a LONG time. And I can't zone out for math like I can for reading.

I've thought a lot about how I have a very good "buffer" in my brain. Things can flow in and out very easily, but don't get stuck anywhere and therefore don't allow me to learn much - I can sit through a whole lesson in a class and be very excited about the material. Once I get home, all i remember is the cool picture from the powerpoint and that I was really intrigued by the lesson.

Meds help a lot. I like doing work, I stick with stuff instead of zoning out to get through it and subsequently not remembering any of it or learning anything from it. I also don't forget as many things. Math, for some reason, is somewhat difficult for me with meds, but i still pick it up more quickly. And READING, oh my goodness, is fantastic when I take my adderall. I love it. I understand/stick with the book, and I understand the themes/motifs/symbols etc.

Good luck, if my experience is any indication, adderall will be fantastic for you!

Thanks, we do seem pretty similar.

I do often have that reading problem where I'm just glazing over the pages; I often think I'm getting through the book, but if someone were to ask me about what I just read, I'd probably blank out. Your problem seems to be more related to input though, whereas I've always had difficulty with output. It usually takes constant prodding from family members for me to even start homework or papers, and even accomplishing that, I usually just sit, staring at a blank screen for hours on end.

And the Adderall is fantastic. I just picked up a 10 mg trial perscription of Adderall XR from the pharmacy... and it's amazing how subtle (and yet powerful) the change is. I don't actually feel anything changing when I take it, but all through yesterday I was awake, attentive and satisfied. I've never really felt depressed or sad, but yesterday was the first time I've felt truly "happy" in as long as I can remember. Plus, the inexplicable positive change in my ability to just sit down and do work is awesome too :D

Thanks for all the positive feedback. One more question though... how common is it to build up a tolerance for Adderall? I love that I'm able to achieve these results on a 10 mg dosage, so I'm wondering how long I'll be able to stay with it that low.

WhoaaaaaI'mADD
01-21-11, 11:25 PM
Thanks, we do seem pretty similar.

I do often have that reading problem where I'm just glazing over the pages; I often think I'm getting through the book, but if someone were to ask me about what I just read, I'd probably blank out. Your problem seems to be more related to input though, whereas I've always had difficulty with output. It usually takes constant prodding from family members for me to even start homework or papers, and even accomplishing that, I usually just sit, staring at a blank screen for hours on end.

And the Adderall is fantastic. I just picked up a 10 mg trial perscription of Adderall XR from the pharmacy... and it's amazing how subtle (and yet powerful) the change is. I don't actually feel anything changing when I take it, but all through yesterday I was awake, attentive and satisfied. I've never really felt depressed or sad, but yesterday was the first time I've felt truly "happy" in as long as I can remember. Plus, the inexplicable positive change in my ability to just sit down and do work is awesome too :D

Thanks for all the positive feedback. One more question though... how common is it to build up a tolerance for Adderall? I love that I'm able to achieve these results on a 10 mg dosage, so I'm wondering how long I'll be able to stay with it that low.

I'll answer your question first. It's VERY common, as in you will most definitely build up tolerance very quickly. Take days off it as much as possible if you can. I cannot afford to take those days off with my schedule, so my tolerance escalated extremely quickly. You'll most likely start googling for tolerance solutions as soon as your meds wear off more quickly and aren't as effective, so let me try to summarize them for you. By the way, if you decide to try any of these, START NOW. Preventing tolerance is much easier than reversing it.

Magnesium, magnesium, magnesium! You'll read this everywhere. I haven't really tried it. I got some magnesium from the pharmacy, but realized that it was magnesium oxide and essentially useless. Without looking it up, I think people say citrate or caltrate are the best. Beware: magnesium is a laxative.

Working out helps for some people. My aforementioned schedule doesn't allow much of that in my life. I've heard of exercising really hard every three days to bring down tolerance. Not sure how much this works to be honest, it doesn't make much sense in a scientific way. But it does work for some people.

Lots of sleep and eating. Don't use adderall to stay awake or for energy, and make sure you eat small meals throughout the day even if you're not hungry. It doesn't sound like it does that for you (it doesn't for me either). However, it does give me insomnia a lot of nights, where I'm very exhausted but my mind can't calm down. I use melatonin a lot for sleep now and that works amazingly. I actually wake up refreshed in the morning as well.

Finally, ask your doctor about prescribing memantine ("Namenda" is the brand name I believe). There's a great thread about this in the Adderall section. It helps memory and makes tolerance nearly impossible (and reverse in many people). I haven't asked my doctor yet, but I will be asking at my next appointment.

These are the most memorable ideas i've heard. Start preventing it now. If you need to raise your dosage it will only make the higher dose work better.

Now, I'm curious about this input vs. output thing. Are you bad at describing how you feel? Or making decisions between two things? The "prodding" you describe is an exact image of my family until I started being more closed about my school life (I was tired of dealing with it). Even with other things, like brushing my teeth or taking a shower as a child, there would be pushing until I was dragged to the bathroom (sometimes literally).

Good luck with the adderall, I'm glad it's working.