View Full Version : The ACHOO syndrome

sighduck
01-21-11, 04:58 AM
yes, the name does sound funny, but it is quite an interesting thing, some people can be caused to sneeze by various stimuli, the most common of these is "the photic sneeze reflex" it only really effects my when i look at the sky when it is blue or filled with bright fluffy clouds.

I was thinking bout it, and i thought that the hypersensitivity trait of most ADHDers would make it very common among us (the percentage of the general population with this syndrome is 18-35%) and now im interested to see how common it is among us

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACHOO_syndrome

fracturedstory
01-21-11, 07:58 PM
Yeah I get this. Also, does pulling out hair make you sneeze? It makes me sneeze.

Lunacie
01-21-11, 08:20 PM
I have Sensory Processing Disorder, a lot of things affect me that don't bother my daughter at all. But the second she steps out into bright light she sneezes. Her youngest daughter seems to be the same way.

sighduck
01-22-11, 03:41 AM
mine is actualy very minor, i can only sneeze like that by looking at the sky

Lunacie
01-22-11, 11:51 AM
mine is actualy very minor, i can only sneeze like that by looking at the sky

If my daughter puts on her sunglasses before stepping out the door she can usually prevent the ACHOO.

tipoo
03-29-11, 09:58 AM
Huh, so that's what caused it. I get the sneezing reflex whenever I look at a bright light like the sun or a lamp.

D2thejay
05-24-11, 10:02 PM
Hahaha this place is great. I love coming here and being able to read all these stories and FINALLY have someone to relate to. But anyway about my sensitivities.... This might sound weird but when I'm REALLY sexually aroused I sneeze hella bad! Never really noticed it with the sun tho.

manismom
06-16-11, 06:38 PM
Holy cow! Up til recently, I thought this happened to everyone. Husband would say he lost a sneeze, I'd tell him to try to look at the sun, he would look at me like I was crazy. Was trying to get my picture taken while facing the sun and got locked into sneeze face. Couldn't unlock til I put sunglasses back on. :D

D2thejay - now that must be hard to explain!

ginniebean
06-16-11, 06:55 PM
sun sneezes are well known.. doubt it has much to do with adhd..

Spacemaster
06-16-11, 07:11 PM
happened to me the other day, though I agree with ginniebean, doubt it has to do with adhd.

danelady
06-16-11, 07:16 PM
Gosh,I never knew anyone else that sneezed from bright lights! But then I don't know a lot people either,so that don't mean anything. I thought I was the only one!! I'm so glad to hear this because my son always looked at me like I was crazy when I had to stop and stare at the sun and let a good 5 or 6 sneezes rip.

sighduck
06-17-11, 06:42 AM
doubt it has much to do with adhd..

just wondering if ADHD and its comon sensory processing issues might increase its prevalence somehow

Lunacie
06-17-11, 10:48 AM
just wondering if ADHD and its comon sensory processing issues might increase its prevalence somehow

Interesting question. Both my daughter and I have some sensory processing issues, mine are much worse than hers, but she's the one who sneezes if she steps out into sunlight without dark glasses. And yet she's not as sensitive to bright light overall as I am.