View Full Version : New Clonidine extended release drug FDA approval (Kapvay)

willzzz
01-22-11, 02:21 AM
http://www.kapvay.com/

Approved Oct. 2010.

Wonder how it compares to Intuniv with 2 difference chemicals but very similar to action (direct-acting α2 adrenergic agonist on both). Only approved for 6-17 ages right now, i'm waiting for adult approval. Hopefully soon... I'd like to try a non-stimulant again (Straterra was a disaster with fatigue and drove me straight to sleep, this is totally different with my science reading...). Anyone have experiences?

Sheila99
03-30-11, 01:16 PM
I'll let you know how it goes with my twelve year old, we are starting Kapvay tonight. You take a .1 mg tablet at night for the first week and than increase to one in the morning and one at night the second week. After that, you continue to go up to two morning/two night if you are tolerating the med. well.

catmk5722
04-05-11, 09:32 AM
How has it been going with the new medication?

Rampage
06-01-11, 09:40 AM
My 7 year old has been taking kapvay for a few months.

He is now at .2 in mornings and .2 in evenings.

It has helped a lot with impulse control, anger and aggression.

Very pleased.

namazu
06-01-11, 10:11 AM
I have been taking it for a couple of months and am currently up to 0.2mg twice a day.

It has been extremely helpful in reducing restlessness at night -- whether it was the ADHD or Restless Legs Syndrome (or both), I don't know, but it's much less disruptive to my attempts to lie still in bed.

It has also had a bonus side-effect of markedly reducing a compulsive/tic-like behavior I'd been having trouble with.

Kapvay hasn't seemed to do much for the inattentive symptoms for me, but I'm pleased with what it does do.

hollywood
06-02-11, 11:54 AM
hows the fatigue ? They say these meds counter stimulant side effects thus helping focus on a targe stimulus? Yet, I haven't heard people raving about it.

BlackTieDad
08-02-11, 04:39 PM
My son just started Kapvay today with his after-lunch Adderall. He has been having some OCD-like behaviors and anger/aggression/low frustration tolerance in the afternoons.

I will update when we know more. He did settle down at quiet time/naptime today, which is a start (especially as the boys were up late last night). I'm looking forward to seeing how afternoons/evenings are now.

hollywood
08-02-11, 08:06 PM
I guess I was having a lot of anger , frustration and issues at work with stress overload. I tried intuniv but never made it past two or three weeks. My focus did improve but man I got angry. Now I am trying cymbalta in hopes it will help my frustration related worry. So far my physical anxiety signs are gone on just 5 mg si I basically have stress overload symptoms. Cymbalta is negatively impacting my memory . Ssris have not worked but I feel I may need the mood boost hence the snri. If cymbalta doesn't help I will go back to tenex or intuniv with stimulants

BlackTieDad
08-15-11, 02:45 PM
Update with my 4 year old on Adderall and Kapvay: He does get a little sleepy sometimes. At the very least he gets quiet and involved intently in quiet activities (puzzles, looking at books, playing quietly with cars/trucks/etc).

He just started a new daycare (they also do pre-school when school starts up), and he has been wonderful there, no equivocations (like "He's mostly good, but he gets a little wild/mean sometimes"), and according to them he takes his meds like a champ.

So focus is improved with no aggression/anger issues anymore.

He takes Adderall in the morning, Kapvay around noon, 2nd dose of Adderall in the early afternoon and Clonidine at bedtime. I'm not crazy about giving him all these meds, but the improvements in his ability to handle frustration and concentrate well have been frankly amazing.