View Full Version : How long does Vyvanse last for you?

Microwench
01-22-11, 03:20 PM
Hi all!
I've been taking Vyvanse for a month now, 30 mg at first, just startd 40 mg today. It seems to me that the benefits wear off after 5-7 hours. I am definitely not getting the full 12 hours that it claims.

How long does it seem to last for you? I am curious to see what the consensus will be (ADD curiosity, LOVE it!):p

penguin
01-22-11, 09:06 PM
Hi,
Taken all at once, about 7 hrs. If I split the doseage in half and take half in am and the rest late afternoon, I get all day coverage.
Remember, sleep, exercise, and eat regular.
Good luck, Ken

Hoshi
01-22-11, 11:41 PM
About 5-6hrs for me.

abooth3
01-26-11, 12:40 AM
It's not like Adderall and others for me because it doesn't "last" a certain amount of time, it peaks in about an hour and a half, then slowly dies over the next few hours. I can never really tell when it's "done," but probably 6-7 at most. I get an IR booster to take in the PM when it wears off (if I need to study), which is also helpful if you wake up at 4pm on a Saturday and need to study or something, but don't want to take your Vyvanse and be semi-wired all evening--wired in that you can't sleep, not in that the medication is being effective. It can keep me from sleeping for 12 hours, but it never WORKS that long. Depends on the person and the dose, though, but I hope that helps.

happierin09
01-26-11, 09:02 PM
I really don't feel it kick in or die off. I just know I have more energy during the day and sleep way better at night. I'd say though, based on my energy level, 10-12 hours.

ADDBenMoolder
01-27-11, 06:22 PM
For someone on 40 mg for a year now, I agree strongly with the following statement:

I am definitely not getting the full 12 hours that it claims.

7-8 hours is generally what I see. After that it is pretty much completely faded.

What's either a blessing or a curse about Vyvanse is that there is no sudden dropoff like the one you get from Adderall or Ritalin, so you don't notice it until you find yourself less focused. Some people prefer knowing when it's worn off, but I felt it was too sudden and too severe a drop. For years, I would feel slightly anxious and depressed for no explainable reason at 5 p.m. while on those other medications - until I realized it's the drug wearing off and my neuro-receptors being shocked into deprivation. My doctor confirmed this was a common side effect of those meds.

With Vyvanse, I like it this way. I prefer not knowing the exact hour I'm done... to me it's kind of like not knowing the hour of your death... you just keep going until it's obvious you can't anymore....

kianaaaaa
02-06-11, 05:57 PM
Vyvanse's effects, including the crash and the insomnia after the crash, last a really long time for me. The positive effects only last for a couple of hours, but everything combined lasts like 14 hours for me, so I try to make myself wake up really early to take it. I'm somewhat new to the drug, so I'm not expert, but that's just my experience so far.

ktmcg
02-14-11, 10:32 PM
I'm still new to vyvanse, but so far it's been pretty consistant - I take it at 6:30am and it wears off around 12-1pm. Not sure when it kicks in, though - too mild to tell.

toothpick
02-14-11, 11:49 PM
dont see what you mean i must be one of the lucky ones as it lasts me more then 12 strangely, then again i take a few day breaks dont know could be alot of things but acidic things definately affect it and i avoid them like the plague (heh im saying this as i drink ice tea mix in water obviously)

davoidone
02-18-11, 05:59 PM
I am prescribed 70mg of Vyvanse. I have been taking it for over 6 months and I have to say for me personally it seems to last 5-6 hours at best. I have asked on several occasions about the possibility of getting a booster and have been told, "I do not think we will do that at this time" to totally ignoring the subject. This is not something I think I would need daily. I would want the booster for the days when there is a lot to do and the focus is a must. I work in a very detailed, stressful, deadline oriented world of IT and a booster on some days would be great. Will either wait and see or endlessly be frustrated and double, triple checking my work as I lose focus after 5-6 hours after onset.

aces
02-28-11, 02:55 PM
Hey,

I take 70 mg of vyvanse daily mon-fri. It lasts about 5-6 for my focus, but the energy i get lasts till about 7-8 hours. I will feel awake when I try to sleep if I take it late in the day, so the insomnia part will be there from the 11-12 hour mark.

Davoidone, my psych also will not perscribe me any instant-release booster, because she flat out said she does not perscribe any IR meds bc it is highly abusable. I wish I could try dexdrine.

dmlaugh3r
03-01-11, 08:50 PM
Vyvanse always lasts 8 hours or more for me when I take 30mg and above.

jcargile
03-03-11, 01:13 AM
For me it was lasting too long. I would take my 50mg first thing in the morning and find that I was unable to sleep at 3am. It never really gave me the effect I needed either, just made me slightly more alert and made my extremities very very cold. Dextroamphetamine IR 30mg once a day first thing in the morning ended up being the ticket for me, but your mileage may vary.

robobrain
03-10-11, 04:58 PM
I think some effects last longer than others for me. The initial "high" where I'm really chatty and hyper focused, lasts about 3 or 4 hours. There seems to be an underling kind of reduction in fidgeting and impusivity that lasts like 7 hours, which is fine because I don't really care after classes are over. And lastly there's the insomnia for me that can last like 14 or 16 hours, but I think that's really just me.

Kimmy1989
03-10-11, 05:28 PM
NOT LONG ENOUGH. I take my dose(50mg) at 630am and it wears off my 1pm-2pm. And don't forget it takes about an hour to an hour and a half for my body to activate it.

425runner
03-10-11, 10:57 PM
I split the capsules because if I take it all at once it wears off in about 5 hours! The only thing I like about Vyvanse is that I get no side effects and it's very smooth.

muzikfreek
03-10-11, 11:42 PM
I work mostly in the evenings so my regular schedule is out of bed around 1 pm, take Vyvanse (40 mg right now, going for 50 mg) about 2:30 pm, sometimes 2 pm if I need to do stuff right away. I find that by the time 6:30 pm hits, I am already starting to feel less energy, less motivation. I can even go for a nap for a half hour at that point if it gets me too down.

When I go to work at night everything seems to be alright but I don't notice much. I have only been on it for just over 2 months and still trying to sort it all out. One thing I have noticed is that when I used to start getting really tired at work about midnight, I can now stay awake until about 4 am. Sometimes I could go to sleep at 1 am if I were home with nothing better to do. I guess I do get the 12 hour benefit but I definitely feel like there could be more, hence the asking to try out 50 mg.

I have been doing 1 x 20 mg at 2:30 and then 1 x 20 mg at 3:30 to 4:30, trying out the different effects... but I can't say much about that as of yet.

sir_taps_alot
04-05-11, 12:46 PM
I started at 60mg of vyvanse in june. Initially I felt it lasted for about 8 hours. After a few months, it seemed to drop off to about 5 hrs. I was increased 80mg recently. I was taking 80mg in one dose at around 530am. It takes me about 90mins to feel it work,so, it would start being effective at around 7am. I feel focused until around 12 noon.then it seems to be gone. I recently started taking 50mg at 6am and then 30mg at around 1030 am. It seems to extend the duration better than taking it in one dose...but, it's not significant in my opinion.

johnnyc00
04-29-11, 07:53 PM
I would take it at around 8, and not feel it til around 9. Then at around 2 all of the effects will start diminishing and my adhd came back worse. Then around 3-4 I would start having a physical comedown. I was on 40mg

I told my psychiatrist and he recommended me take one 40mg in the morning and one 40mg at 1pm. I thought it was interesting that when I asked for a 20mg/20mg dose, he told me that it would be ineffective because once I experience comedown symptoms, it is completely out of my system, so I would basically be taking 2 insufficient doses. However, things are phenomenal after the new dose. Every side effect is non existent now.

Vyvanse doesn't work for 12 hours, period.

stars
04-30-11, 09:40 AM
Hi,
I find that when I take Vyvanse (was at 40mg, now at 60mg per day), it takes about 2 hrs for me to feel its full effect. I try to time my dosage (7:00 am) so that when I arrive at work in the morning (between 8:30 - 9:00 AM), I am already experiencing the effects of the medication.

I tend to feel the positive effects for the majority of the workday, but I definitely feel a drop in focus at about 3:00pm, and it is essentially gone by 5:00 or 6:00pm when I'm driving home. (Great time to be losing my focus, right?) :p

I don't experience a crash, but I do feel tired at the end of the day.

hnelson3
05-02-13, 07:01 AM
I have been taking Vyvanse for at least a year not (30 mg) and it seems to wear off about 4-5 hours after I take it. Which does not help me in my night classes where I need it the most

TerephthalicPte
05-02-13, 09:04 AM
Yeah no way it lasts 12 hours. I feel like my doctor thinks I'm lying when I tell him this.

I take the stuff at like 5 in the morning and it's all worn off by 12. That's only really 5 hours of full coverage 6 if you count the sort of half way point I get to in an hour while it takes to kick in.

Doctor says it should last 10-12. Yeah okay. I wish it lasted 12 hours.

Oh, and I'm on 40mg right now. I'll probably push to be bumped up to 50mg when I come back from my summer internship.

Blanched Dubois
05-02-13, 10:48 AM
waiting for pdoc to call on his day off cus focalin xr is bad for me

the vyvanse worked at 50mg but maybe it was too high a dose? anyone know if it comes lower?

years of suffering is making this process almost unbearable

curxxx
05-02-13, 11:23 AM
5-6 hours on a good day, which is why I take 2 doses a day :)

Take it at 10ish (but lately been around 8), wears off at 2/3, so I take another dose at lunch which makes it last until 5, when I can start feeling it wear off, then it's almost completely gone by 6.

AnnaBanana85
05-02-13, 01:04 PM
New here, hope I'm doing it right. I've been on 40mg of vyvanse for 3 weeks now. I take it when I wake up at 630 because I have to, I noticed it's much harder to get out of bed now that I'm on it. It's noon now and I can feel myself coming down already and I'm bracing for the crash. When that comes, I'm completely miserable and have no motivation.

Yummmy
05-02-13, 11:22 PM
After some trial and error with coverage issues and side effects, my doc recently prescribed 140mg of Vyvanse. He said to try taking both 70mg pills at once or split the dose about 4-5 hours apart. He also have me a PRN booster of 20 mg Adderall in the evenings for long days of work, class, and studying. The 140mg has been giving me the full 12 hours I need on most days. I'm still able to sleep when I'm need to at the end of a long day. I experience some of the crash, but by that time, I'm usually prepping for bed anyway and I just sleep it off. This seems to be working really well...I hope I didn't jinx myself! :-)

kimical
05-03-13, 01:00 PM
8 hours for me. I take 40mgs. I also sip coffee throughout the day which amounts to two eight ounce cups total.

etteed
05-04-13, 10:35 AM
Take vyvanse 50 mg at 6:30 am. By noon it is worn off. Anyone take a second dose?

oreomunky
05-08-13, 10:14 AM
Take vyvanse 50 mg at 6:30 am. By noon it is worn off. Anyone take a second dose?

I'm thinking this may be my problem. I take my 30 mg at 6 am and around noon, it feels like a bus hit me - Completely fatigued (worse than when I don't take it at all) and massive headache.

A few have suggested my dose it too low, and I think they're correct. I'm wondering if I should add a little booster around noon so that I make it through the work day without getting headaches/being tired.

curxxx
05-08-13, 08:58 PM

I take 50 at 8, wears off by 2/3 completely. So my pdoc gave me a 20mg Vyvanse booster at lunch.

Dmcgreevy
07-23-13, 04:14 PM
I just started taking 30mg and it only lasts about 4 hours for me.

ADDarren
07-24-13, 06:13 PM
I take a 30 before breakfast, and a 30 before lunch. Seems to cover till 12 hours at least. I sometimes take ambien or sonata for sleep.

oreojazzycat
08-02-13, 04:43 PM
Hi,
Taken all at once, about 7 hrs. If I split the doseage in half and take half in am and the rest late afternoon, I get all day coverage.
Remember, sleep, exercise, and eat regular.
Good luck, Ken how do you split the capsules? I need all day coverage as well. I feel so productive in the morning and by the late afternoon it starts to wear off :/