View Full Version : Math problems?

Microwench
01-22-11, 04:22 PM
Despite being in the gifted program in elementary, and always reading above my grade level, I have always struggled horribly with math.:(

I just do NOT get it. :confused: I have worked my a** off trying. In HS I got help from teachers, as well as lots of after school help from my math-genious best friend.

Wondered for a while if I had dyscalculia (numeric dyslexia) dis some reading, sounded familiar, but not sure. Never been tested, not sure if it is even worth the time and money this late (I am 27)

Anyone else have major issues with Math?

Book_Addict
01-23-11, 01:11 AM
Yes! Right here! I've struggled with this my entire life...

I'm a junior in college, and I cannot pass the math part of my placement test to take algebra...

I was never taught in school, and now I'm stuck with nearly getting my degree and no credits in math.....

I've taken special classes, and have had special arrangements, and I just don't know what to do anymore

anonymouslyadd
01-23-11, 01:57 AM
I struggle with it everyday. Online websites help me out. You can youtube a lot of videos, which I feel helps me because I can stop them and am able to pick up on the little details, which seem to be so important.

Book_Addict
01-23-11, 03:37 AM
But its still stressful... percentages, algebra.....long division make my head hurt

Microwench
01-24-11, 03:30 PM
Book Addict
I find your name interesting, are you a big time reader too? I stink at math, but give me a book and all is right with the world!

I get stumped on simple stuff like multiplication :-( Makes me feel sooo stupid, but I keep telling myself, I am not stupid, it is the ADD....

sighduck
01-24-11, 03:56 PM
grasping the complex math principles has always been relatively easy for me, yet i always got low marks for maths and science simply because I struggle with the basic calculations. I wrote a grade 12 physics test last year were a freind of mine copied me, he got 12% better marks simply cause he fixed the calculation errors...

anonymouslyadd
01-24-11, 04:23 PM
But its still stressful... percentages, algebra.....long division make my head hurt

Long calculus problems make my head hurt. This is something where I definately benefit from taking breaks and seeking the help from professors to help fill in the gaps. I want to teach math, but I worry a lot about forgetting things. I don't want to be embarrassed. I don't know why I get embarrassed over that.:faint:

Sunflower111
01-26-11, 02:17 PM
I am 40, I had dyscalculia, and I am glad that I find out why I can't remember things and get lost so easy, my condition is very bad.

hypergirl96
02-02-11, 12:21 AM
word problems make my head hurt. i have to read through them at least four times to even understand them. i cant do long division, and my seven year old sister can recite her multiplication tables better than me.

and i can barely read a clock...anyone have problems reading a clock?????

i know ive learned and stuff and yeah i can pick out the easy times (full hours and half hours) even though i do sometimes have trouble remembering which hands are minutes, seconds and hours.

am i the only one who cant really read a clock???? practice doesnt work. makes my head spin.

eclectic beagle
02-03-11, 02:00 AM
I used to be good in math, now I'm not for whatever reason.