View Full Version : Klonopin for 7 years, looking for alternative

den4
01-23-11, 06:23 AM
Hi, I have been on Klonopin 7 years. I have gone gold turkey many years ago because I had ran out. I had no clue back then how dangerous that was, and yes it was hell for a week. I am a very lucky person nothing really bad happened. I did not know you could have seizures from this med.

Anyway! Basically, months ago...I wanted to get off of klonopin completely to see if I could function a normal life without it.

So everyday I cut the clonopin in half...did that for about a month...then cut more and more gradually within months. Finally I was not on anything. I felt completely fine for about a month & then BAM I nearly had a panic attack in a social situation. There was no reason for me to panic. I just did.

Would you think it's a withdrawl from klonopin hitting me later? Or is it just my anxiety I've had since I was a young teen coming back? My anxiety before klonopin was horrible. I could not function and live normally. It ruled my life. So I feel that klonopin saved me in a way. But it does make me tired and I dislike that.

What would you do in this situation? Klonopin for life? Find some other benzo for anxiety? (SSRI's are a no for me, I know they do help anxiety.) I would prefer not to take klonopin forever. What would be your alternative?

Jester
01-23-11, 10:14 AM
Hi, I have been on Klonopin 7 years. I have gone gold turkey many years ago because I had ran out. I had no clue back then how dangerous that was, and yes it was hell for a week. I am a very lucky person nothing really bad happened. I did not know you could have seizures from this med.

Anyway! Basically, months ago...I wanted to get off of klonopin completely to see if I could function a normal life without it.

So everyday I cut the clonopin in half...did that for about a month...then cut more and more gradually within months. Finally I was not on anything. I felt completely fine for about a month & then BAM I nearly had a panic attack in a social situation. There was no reason for me to panic. I just did.

Would you think it's a withdrawl from klonopin hitting me later? Or is it just my anxiety I've had since I was a young teen coming back? My anxiety before klonopin was horrible. I could not function and live normally. It ruled my life. So I feel that klonopin saved me in a way. But it does make me tired and I dislike that.

What would you do in this situation? Klonopin for life? Find some other benzo for anxiety? (SSRI's are a no for me, I know they do help anxiety.) I would prefer not to take klonopin forever. What would be your alternative?

When you talk about 7 years of medication you must understand that newly occurring events are not necessary medicine triggered. During such a long period of time your body changes so you may experience things you haven't in the past and falsely put the blame on the medicine. I think the question that troubles you right now is ''Would I still nearly had a panic attack had I not taken Klonopin for 7 years?'' Nobody can answer that unfortunately. We cannot tell if your body changed because it changed or because Klonopin caused it to change. It's a risk you take when you begin taking such medication. You make it complicated for doctors and medical personnel to determine what caused what.

Also, there's an expression ''don't fix what ain't broken''. If Klonopin worked for 7 years why stop it? I understand your wish to be normal but is there anyone who has no health issues? A type 1 diabetes person insulino-dependent also whishes to be normal but can't. Sometimes we have to accept our problem and live with it especially since there's something we can do about it. Be happy that your condition is treatable and that the treatment gives great results because there's many cases where there's no treatment.

Now, talking about alternatives. There's not 1000 types of anti depressors and what you are taking is already top of the line so in my opinion there's 2 alternatives, take benzos or not take benzos. Up to you. After all what matters is your everyday life comfort. Panic attacks undermine your self confidence and make you feel insecure. Imagine you are driving on the highway when suddenly you have a panic attack. It can cost your life or at least a suspended drivers license until you get treatment. You are never truly in control, and we always want to be in control.

den4
01-23-11, 10:56 PM
Also, there's an expression ''don't fix what ain't broken''. If Klonopin worked for 7 years why stop it? I understand your wish to be normal but is there anyone who has no health issues? A type 1 diabetes person insulino-dependent also whishes to be normal but can't. Sometimes we have to accept our problem and live with it especially since there's something we can do about it. Be happy that your condition is treatable and that the treatment gives great results because there's many cases where there's no treatment.

I really like what you said here. That is true. I have a wish to be "normal". I've gotten critized for taking meds in the past and ridiculed, so I really was hoping I could live without this med.

For my body changing because of it after 7 years? who knows? I was put on it by my parent. Not because I wanted it. I just wanted the anxiety to go away, and this helped. So I never stopped taking it. I didn't know you could build a body tolerance or that it was a dangerous benzo in the long run or anything like that. Or that my body chemistry would change negatively. I just never did research on it. I was too much into "zombie" mode that SSRI's had put me in.

Thank you for your input. Your advice was helpful.

Yellow
01-24-11, 08:22 PM
if you ask me, klonopin is the best multipurpose drug there is. its safe, can be taken for years at the same dosage without tolerance issues,etc...i would take klonopin as monotherapy for the rest of my life if i had to, but too bad for me.

benzos toxicity profile is really what makes me think they are wonderdrugs because they have the ability to do so much without harm. i dont think you have anything to worry about as far as long term damage either, and you withdrew in a very smart way (cold turkey after 7 yrs might be fatal at certain doses).

with that siad, there are alternatives: have you tried GRI (gaba reuptake inhibitors) like gabitril,agonists like baclofen or phenibut, analogues like neurontin, or 5ht1 agonists like buspirone (or even partial 5ht1a agonist like abilify in small doses, maybe 2mg for anxiety)?

den4
01-25-11, 10:00 AM
if you ask me, klonopin is the best multipurpose drug there is. its safe, can be taken for years at the same dosage without tolerance issues,etc...i would take klonopin as monotherapy for the rest of my life if i had to, but too bad for me.

benzos toxicity profile is really what makes me think they are wonderdrugs because they have the ability to do so much without harm. i dont think you have anything to worry about as far as long term damage either, and you withdrew in a very smart way (cold turkey after 7 yrs might be fatal at certain doses).

with that siad, there are alternatives: have you tried GRI (gaba reuptake inhibitors) like gabitril,agonists like baclofen or phenibut, analogues like neurontin, or 5ht1 agonists like buspirone (or even partial 5ht1a agonist like abilify in small doses, maybe 2mg for anxiety)?

I haven't heard of any of those. I will keep them in mind. Thank you.

Yellow
01-25-11, 03:17 PM
add maoi for gaba like vigabatrin