View Full Version : Lack of Motivtion- a Spiritual view

Kunga Dorji
01-23-11, 06:36 AM
If you speak from the ego you are disclaiming knowledge instead of affirming it, and are thus dis- spiriting yourself. Do not embark on useless journeys, because they are indeed in vain. The ego may desire them, but spirit cannot embark on them because it is forever unwilling to depart from its foundation.
( A Course In Miracles)

Procrastination, of course, arises when we are trying to act on the advice of the ego, but our subconscious self knows better, and resists.

When we procrastinate, or find ourselves lacking in motivation to do what we know we "should " be doing-- maybe we should ask ourselves what is the source of the resistance. Are we forcing ourselves, or being forced by others, to consciously do an action that is not in our long term best interests?

In my experience the answer to that question has usually been "Yes".

bumpey
01-23-11, 07:41 AM
Intresting theory, but sometimes those bills do have to actualy be paid, bailifs, court orders, meetings, where long term problems come from, stuff that some times apparently need to be done, as were told constasntly by others.

The answer for myself would be no.

Kunga Dorji
01-24-11, 04:30 AM
Intresting theory, but sometimes those bills do have to actualy be paid, bailifs, court orders, meetings, where long term problems come from, stuff that some times apparently need to be done, as were told constasntly by others.

The answer for myself would be no.

The reason i raised this issue was especially in relation to the times when my procrastination prevented me from doing things that I enjoyed, rather than things I had to do. It sometimes is hard to get a grip on where that one comes from.

zannie
01-24-11, 05:16 AM
Procrastination is multi-faceted. There are times when I put off things I need to do bills, dishes, laundry, getting groceries.

Or if I am anxious about something I put it off in a futile attempt to avoid the anxiety of doing it - when I was in school essays for example.

Then there is the why bother type of procrastination ( I have made so many attempts to get organized and found i could not follow through so I start to think there is no point in doing it - motivation killed before I even start).

I as far as the ego based motivation for doing something that goes against our spiritual best interest I am having a hard time determining if that is true for me or not. Would you mind giving an example of it.

meadd823
01-24-11, 09:01 AM
Spiritual procrastination or procrastination in general ???

Spiritually speaking I have hesitated more so than procrastinating because I assumed my perception was wrong and other people's perceptions were right. Seeing as most social interactions and civilized decisions made little to no sense to me I figured my spiritual perceptions were equally "screwed up" and they may be I have just lived long enough to get over giving a rats rump

Kunga Dorji
01-24-11, 03:49 PM
Procrastination is multi-faceted. There are times when I put off things I need to do bills, dishes, laundry, getting groceries.

Or if I am anxious about something I put it off in a futile attempt to avoid the anxiety of doing it - when I was in school essays for example.

Then there is the why bother type of procrastination ( I have made so many attempts to get organized and found i could not follow through so I start to think there is no point in doing it - motivation killed before I even start).

I as far as the ego based motivation for doing something that goes against our spiritual best interest I am having a hard time determining if that is true for me or not. Would you mind giving an example of it.

A good example would be wanting to sit down to my guitar practice, but struggling to settle- only to realise that I had caught sight of my daughter
showing subtle signs of looking like she needed some parental attention.
IE I was subliminally picking up on a more important task that was not immediately obvious. That is one example- but there are many more.
My observation would be with my sort of "wide angle " attention I pick up on quite a few things that are worthwhile, and do actually need doing- but often the one that I consciously identify is not actually the true highest priority- and that the problem is really the conscious, ego based identification of the high priority item.

Bluerose
02-03-11, 09:02 PM
I’m not sure how much the ego is involved in the things I have to do or in the things I enjoy doing.

Maybe it’s just me but I can’t put off things for too long. I feel a niggling urgency creeping up on me. I have also become very aware of how bad I feel when I put things off and how much better I feel when they get done.

I found making the decision to deal with these things on a certain day at a certain time helps. The same goes for household chores. If I’m struggling to find the energy to deal with these things I chose one thing, dishes or laundry, and make the decision to go do it at say 1PM. Booking time slots for almost everything I have to do helps me a lot.

As for the stuff I like to do, thankfully I’m able to do that but I do have to keep it simple, spreading things out over the week or the weekend, otherwise I may become overwhelmed with too much going on.

Sandy4957
02-03-11, 11:38 PM
Barliman, I think that you are onto something. I don't know if I'd have identified as "ego," as much as right brain/left brain, but that's only because that's how I think of it.

I very much enjoy my work. I enjoy writing briefs, and crafting arguments. When I do it, I get a little high out of it. But I "procrastinate" on it. At least, that's how I used to think of it, though I always also thought "But is it 'procrastination' if I'm researching and researching and thinking and analyzing, just not writing?"

Now I realize that my right brain is working on it, and the reason that I resist writing is because I'm not "ready." My right brain hasn't come up with the solution yet and isn't ready to transfer the information to the left brain for conversion into language.

shysmile
02-07-11, 03:14 PM
I feel like it is the opposite for me, in a way. I feel like my ego is telling me that something won't be fun/enjoyable, because it won't lead me anywhere useful, when deep down my spirit knows it will be, and perhaps it can turn into something more meaningful and possibly lead to a more productive life. I need to feel like there is a point to things and interests I put energy into, somehow connected to the bigger picture, or it feels like pulling my own limb off to force myself to do it. I say this because I know loads of motivation is in me somewhere, I have felt huge bursts of it before during some spiritual revelations.

My ego (or past programming) tries to make me believe deep down unconsciously that I don't deserve to have a good time going out or getting things done because I'm not good at socializing or am too stupid for there to be a point to anything...I have to remember to consciously recognize that it's not true or it stops me from wanting to do anything at all. That is why I procrastinate.

(Also, I am not in any way suggesting this is the same for everyone, and I'm probably not wording this very well anyway, but I hope it makes some sense.)

Laurelgardner
02-07-11, 04:23 PM
Actually, your conclusion on this rings pretty true with me, too. Yes, bills need to get paid and work needs to get done, but as I'm starting to untie the emotional roots of my procrastination, I'm learning just how much my inner resistance comes from the fact that deep down, I haven't felt like I'm living my life for myself.

My subconscious resists me, for one thing, when I'm not taking enough time in my life to do things I really enjoy. It rebels against doing the boring, "grownup" stuff the most when I haven't been having fun, working on my most beloved creative projects, or when I've been going about my life under a constant shadow of self-imposed stress and guilt because I feel like I'm not doing well enough.

Also, my subconscious rebels when it feels like those "grownup" activities are being done, not to fulfill my own wishes and needs but to satisfy the judgmental attitudes of others. Like, if my primary motivation for working and paying the rent isn't because I want a home and security for my own sake, but because I'm worried about what my parents/in-laws/fifth grade teacher would say if they knew I'd failed and become homeless.