View Full Version : Open WiFi network pwn

tipoo
01-23-11, 03:25 PM
Yeah, its assholish, but I really am just helping them!

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/comment/4/2011/01/1ff433f23a1651e0731a10771dbd20cf/340x.png

Really though, its unsafe for them to have a wide open network, even their router's username was admin with a blank password. Someone could go in and do something illegal from their network.

x6eze
01-23-11, 03:46 PM
Lol! But once I discovered backtrack I realized that wi-fi security is just an illusion designed to scare off the ametuer hackers.

tipoo
01-23-11, 03:52 PM
Lol! But once I discovered backtrack I realized that wi-fi security is just an illusion designed to scare off the ametuer hackers.

Just like door locks only scare off amateur thieves. That doesn't mean everyone should stop using them.

HighFunctioning
02-20-11, 12:29 AM
There are several unsecured access points in my area. I wouldn't want them to secure their networks as I might not have free Internet access anymore. ;)

I actually do pay for my own service though.

I think modern wireless security (i.e. WPA2) is effective when used properly.

sarek
02-25-11, 09:24 AM
Thats a major lol HF. Its surprising though to see how many nets are still open even if the situation is improving with many new internet kits having WEP or WPA pre-installed out of the box.
Yet sometimes when my win driven pc's give me trouble logging into my own home net and there is urgent work to do I am happy with their presence.

HighFunctioning
02-25-11, 08:55 PM
I think some put little importance in security, especially when the security results in less convenience. I know of many NTs* that leave cars unattended with a key in the ignition in public parking lots or outside overnight. I highly doubt these same individuals have secured wireless networks. I think some simply feel too comfortable in their surroundings, especially in low crime areas, and the inconvenience isn't worth protecting against something that most likely won't happen anyway.

*Note: the reference to NT individuals above is purely to exclude non-NT individuals who would more likely have markedly different reasons to leave or not leave unsecured vehicles in the open vs. NTs. It is not meant to indicate that NTs are more likely to do this than non-NTs.

FaithofLeap
02-25-11, 09:20 PM
Has anyone ever sent any messages to your annoying neighbors using your network name? Such as... "Shut That Dog UP!" :D

HighFunctioning
02-26-11, 03:26 AM
Through Windows NetBIOS messaging service? No. I'm quite fortunate that my neighbors aren't annoying enough to warrant blowing my cover. ;) No dogs at least. This was entertaining in school though, especially considering that 99% of everyone else had no idea what NetBIOS messaging was.