View Full Version : Having AD/HD and Being in Software Development

college_grad
01-26-11, 11:29 PM
Just wondering, who here has ADHD and is a professional in the software development field? What kind of IQ scores do you have and how to you manage to get work completed on time? Have any of you taken a programmer aptitude test and how did you score on that?

I'm just wondering because I'm wondering how someone with ADHD and programs for a living handles getting their work on time and paying attention to small details? Is it something that you have to work at or is something that you can just do?

I really do want to find out how I compare to some people in terms of the varying forms of "intelligence" and know why certain things are giving me a hard time. I would think that my problem was amount of short-term storage that I could keep. But, I have been taking Forward Digit Span tests on cognitivefun.net, and found that still rank on the high average - even without my medication. I don't normally test myself on my medication, but it seems that I have a high memory span. So, memory might not be my problem. I don't think IQ is my problem either, at least it wasn't before because I did normally score well on those tests - and this was without trying to take the test a bunch of times to get a higher score btw.

Anyways, how does anyone with ADHD deal with their disability and still be able to make a living? Do you make up for your disability by having a high IQ, or do you just not know?

scars
01-27-11, 02:33 PM
I think if it is your passion you will be able to do it well. If you do not enjoy it I can see it being a problem. With ADHD if the activity is not stimulating it is going to be hard for you to do. But if it is stimulating, the sky's the limit.

I am going to college atm majoring in computer science and I absolutely love the computer classes I am in and do not have issues with turning things in late. It is extremely stimulating and I hunger for more knowledge about computers even outside of class.

I have to tape my eyes open and set 100 alarm clocks to get to and to pay attention in English though....

college_grad
01-30-11, 01:40 AM
I think if it is your passion you will be able to do it well. If you do not enjoy it I can see it being a problem. With ADHD if the activity is not stimulating it is going to be hard for you to do. But if it is stimulating, the sky's the limit.

I am going to college atm majoring in computer science and I absolutely love the computer classes I am in and do not have issues with turning things in late. It is extremely stimulating and I hunger for more knowledge about computers even outside of class.

I have to tape my eyes open and set 100 alarm clocks to get to and to pay attention in English though....

I have a hard time understanding why you would have a hard time with English if you're good at programming. Both, appear to work with similar parts of the brain. Having a good grasp with grammar and sentence structure seems to be similar to writing lines of code.

Of course, solving problems isn't quite the same as writing poetry or fiction. But, I've read in books about programming in a few instances that being able to write well demonstrates that you have the ability to organize your thoughts well and thus shows your abilities as a programmer.

x6eze
02-01-11, 01:10 AM
I have a hard time understanding why you would have a hard time with English if you're good at programming. Both, appear to work with similar parts of the brain. Having a good grasp with grammar and sentence structure seems to be similar to writing lines of code.

Being a HS student at a prep school myself, I can attest to being great at programming but terrible at English class...They are totally different in my mind

wscc
02-11-11, 11:28 PM
I can personally attest that it's really, really frustrating. I'm currently employed at an ad agency doing below-average web development and I can't really shake the feeling that I'm operating below my potential.

Originally I studied CS, but petered out with discrete mathematics and ended up transferring to advertising, which is a communications major. I enjoyed the first few classes but dropped out not long after.

I consulted for about a year and a half with one client which brought with it enough last-minute pressure to get me going. I also believe it masked a lot of the cognitive difficulties I was facing, as I had no other developers to compare myself to. I've started more unfinished projects than I can count.

I started at my current job last November, and went in for a neuropsychological evaluation nearly two weeks ago. Results are still pending (he said two to three weeks) but the psychologist I saw was fairly confident that I have ADHD.

Work really does make me nervous, as I've never really had to sit down for quite so long. I can be productive for the first few hours running on caffeine but I feel like my afternoons spent there are a waste of time.

This sounds a little negative; I am holding out hope for effective treatment once I receive my results. I intend to return to school sometime next year.

emeeap
06-26-11, 07:25 AM
Although this is a thread from February, I do want to reply to this, because I just lost my job as a software developer because of add. But I also have experience of performing very good and fast.
I excel when they work test-driven: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Test-driven_development and agile: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agile_software_development and I prefer my code Extremely Clean, read this book: http://jesseliberty.com/reviews/book-review-clean-code-by-uncle-bob-martin/
When you have ADD it is the only way to go.
But beware: a lot of software-employers claim to use these methods, but they don't really. They use a scrum-board, but not how its meant to be used. They do not write tests in advance or not at all. In an environment like that an add-person will always fail. When the methods are use well, hyperfocus goes unleashed, and things progress at the speed of lightening.