View Full Version : Does Your dr. make you come in for an appt. when you want to change meds

jj50000
08-11-04, 08:34 PM
We are thinking of changing my sons meds. He is 10. The dr. wants to discuss it with us first. She just saw him earlier this week. I personally feel it is a waste of money. i told her I wanted a different medication not Lexapro but she swears by it. It is too expensive for minmum effect. He is also taking Strattera which seems to be working out for him. I really don't want to just go to the appt. and be convinced why he should be put on that medicine and that medicine only. I don't understand why she can't talk over the phone. Well I do, she wouldn't get paid for the office visit. I just think it is a waste. My son doesn't really talk to her anyway and he as a different therapist to talk with. thanks for reading. Jennifer

Gregster
08-11-04, 10:55 PM
So your son is currently taking Lexapro and Strattera & your position is that the Lexapro is very expensive and is not doing a lot for him, so you would like to discontinue the Lexapro and try something else?
What is he taking the Lexapro for - anxiety, depression, ADHD?
Your position seems resonable to me, although depending on the circumstances I can also see your Dr's point. If she needs more information - like symptoms, side effects, etc - or wants to talk to you about the pros and cons of different medication options and maybe give you some samples, then I might agree with her - but is such a consultaion worth the money? You are the customer, after all! (I have to admit the concept of paying a Dr directly seems alien to me - being Canadian the Dr's visits are free - but we're TAXED to death, which makes up for it).
But it sounds like you suspect she may just try to convince you about the Lexapro, and I certainly wouldn't want to pay to have someone try to talk me out of something!
Dr's sometimes have a favorite drug - I imagine because they've had good results with it - and I have heard good things about Lexapro - it's noted for having very light side effects. Lexapro is a modified version of Celexa that, due to slight differences in the way it's metabolized, has lighter side effects (Celexa is made by the same drug company as Lexapro, but it may be available as a generic).
I don't think that in most cases it would be absolutely necessary to see the Dr to change meds, but of course I don't know all the specifics about your son and I'm not a Doctor, so please don't give my opinion any weight in your decision.
Regards,
Greg

jaimegerise
08-12-04, 12:41 AM
How long has your son been on the Lexapro? It's an SSRI, and most SSRI's can take a few weeks to build up in a person's system before the full blown effects take place.

jj50000
08-12-04, 06:56 AM
He was on it for atleast 3 months on various doses from 1/2 tablet to 1 1/2 (15 mgs). I originally made the appt. for next week but decided to wait until atleast the middle of Sept. when he would be in school for about 2-3 weeks. The Strattera seems to be doing its part and does have an anti depressant component. He was taking Lexapro for anxiety but we have a fear of overmedicating him. I know that would never happen. He is also taking Depakote for petit mal epilepsy so he has alot on his agenda. He has anxiety over a bone conditon he has where he has extra bones and will need several surgeries within 2 weeks. I do give him credit where he was at the playground yesterday and he was saying he could jump further in the pool then another kid. The other kid (who's family happen to be very close to us) said no you can't because you are handicapped. He kept his cool and just had thoughts (like you idiot). I was very proud of him for not geting mad. Maybe atleast the Strattera was working. Before the Strattera he may have said words he didn't want to. Thanks for your responses.

Gregster
08-12-04, 10:56 AM
Just a thought, but it sounds like your son is coming into a stressful time - operation and school starting again - and if he's anxious by nature, it might be a good idea to wait a little while for the stress to die down before making changes to his medication - you never really know how discontinuing a medication will effect you til you try, for some people it's very easy and for others more difficult (doctors will taper the dose off gradually) and with so much going on in his life it might be too much?

t-bird
08-12-04, 11:13 AM
Hi,
I think its important to have a face to face discussion with your doctor if you want to change meds. On the other hand, if you think the only reason he wants you to come in so he gets more money, then maybe you should start looking around for a new doctor.

jj50000
08-12-04, 02:49 PM
Hi my son has actually been off the medicine for a month. He seems the same on as he is off. I am just not convinced that the medicine did much. I think we are just going to end up waiting until at least school starts and make an appt. for a week or two after. Then we can judge how he is doing under school environment.

Gregster
08-12-04, 05:43 PM
That sounds like an excellent plan - I hope you figure out what works best for him, it's not always easy to find the best drug/dosage combination - there is always a lot of trial and error involved!
Good luck,
Greg