View Full Version : My thoughts on Meditation

Abi
01-31-11, 05:00 AM
I believe that people who find that meditation alone can cure their ADHD do not have ADHD in the first place.

Anyone who disagrees wth me, please do not post on my thread.

:)

Driver
01-31-11, 05:43 AM
If anything cures your ADD, then you didn't have ADD in the first place.

PixiePlumber
01-31-11, 06:33 AM
Meditation may be able to temporarily allieviate symptoms, but you cannot change your own brain chemistry that easily. Maybe I'm just too logical....

But I do believe that meditation may be able to keep people more focused temporarily, but so can being under pressure (like exams) for me, so it depends on the person.

Bluerose
01-31-11, 09:31 AM
I don’t have ADD but I do meditate and what it does is give some respite from all the chaotic mental activity. Even just sitting for five or ten minutes a day can give you some peace. Do it on a regular bases and gain more insight into yourself and your difficulties and how to cope with them. Meditation is not a cure, it’s a tool.

PixiePlumber
01-31-11, 09:43 AM
That's what I use bus journeys for :P Unless I get today's journey when a giant man sits next to me who looks just like my pervy friend but older.... then you think about how much you hate them and you get off the bus filled with hatred, dispair and anxiety from this man's leg touching yours too much the entire journey :(

Amtram
01-31-11, 10:03 AM
I can't meditate simply because a lack of sensory input causes my mind to create its own stimulus. It's the same thing that gives me sleep difficulties. That's not to say that simply trying it won't do any good at all, but if you're completely unable to clear your mind no matter what, it can be more frustrating than helpful.

anonymouslyadd
01-31-11, 11:26 AM
I do meditate on a fairly regular basis. It provides me with mental clarity.

Fortune
01-31-11, 06:05 PM
Because I am mean:

http://www.physorg.com/news161355537.html

This doesn't point to a cure, but it does suggest that meditation has an impact on the development and growth of gray matter in the brain.

meadd823
02-02-11, 12:59 AM
I believe that people who find that meditation alone can cure their ADHD do not have ADHD in the first place.

Anyone who disagrees wth me, please do not post on my thread.

:)

I meditate and I am ADHD - meditation does not cure my ADHD but it does help with stress and it increases my self awareness - I don't doubt some may be able to benefit from meditation enough to be able to stop the medications but I have reservations about this applying to a majority of the ADD population - I have discussed this with the persona making the claims simply because I am arrogant enough to have faith in my own opinion so challenges to it don't really bother me :cool:

Scooter77
02-02-11, 05:16 PM
I meditate and I am ADHD - meditation does not cure my ADHD but it does help with stress and it increases my self awareness

Exactly.
Meditation helps me stay calm.
The ADHD is still there, but if I'm not stressed out or anxious then I'm not going to react as strongly or impulsively to internal or external stimuli.

I find meditation is a really helpful adjunct therapy....but there's no way I'm handing over my meds!

hypergirl96
02-02-11, 05:21 PM
when i first read this i thought it sai medication instead of meditation. hehehe :D

ginniebean
02-02-11, 05:58 PM
MOD NOTE

This thread was moved from Scientific discussions to meditation and spirituality.

Sandy4957
02-02-11, 08:59 PM
I need to learn to do this.

I don't believe that it will "cure" my ADHD, but I do believe that learning to do it could help me control some of the ancillary (perhaps unrelated, even) issues that cause my ADHD to blossom into a full blown PROBLEM.

For example: I walk into a room full of people who scare me. Maybe it's a bunch of potential clients. Who knows? I get nervous. No one in the room knows this, but I'm a basket case within a calm, cool, exterior.

The closer that my internal world can be to that external appearance, the better for me. I believe that meditation can help that to happen.

It won't miraculously give me the ability to track time. But it may help other things.

I have to admit that I was fascinated by the bit in Eat, Pray, Love where the woman meditates for hours and then "wakes up" at the precise moment that she needs to to meet the cab for the airport. That is not something that I can ever imagine being able to do.

The closest that I can get is that I can "sense" when it is time to put a Thanksgiving turkey into the oven, and I can also "sense" (from smells, appearance, texture when poked, etc.) when a steak is just shy of medium rare... ;)

Bluerose
02-03-11, 04:16 PM
Meditation has been a great help to me. I fought it for a few years before I finally gave in to it and wondered what good it could do. It was like an experiment. And it worked!

I don't think it's aim is to cure anything but it really gives you time with yourself. Especially once you have let others know that you practise an hours meditation every day. And once you get into it, whether you burn candles, incense, or just listen to some meditation music, it's amazingly empowering.

I have been without medication for the past couple of years. I can go to doc and get some for a short period of time if I feel the need. I'm not saying I'm med-free because of meditation but I can use meditation while I decide whether I need to go get some meds or not. More times than not I get through without.

Meditation is not everyone's cup of tea. But meditation and relaxation can help to put us in touch with our selves allowing us to discover for ourselves what we really need in order to deal with whatever we have to deal with. It also shuts the world out for 15 to twenty minutes a day. Now who would say no to that?

Bluerose
02-03-11, 04:21 PM
Sandy,

If you want to get up at a certain time without an alarm clock try this... Just before you go to sleep, simply tell yourself what time you want to awake. Repeat it a couple of times. You can set your alarm for 15 minutes later just in case as it takes time to kick in. It will work. I don't even use an alarm clock anymore.