View Full Version : embarassed, ashamed, etc

mike1w
02-07-11, 09:51 AM
I am (at least ) 85 lbs overweight, which I hate to say, but I have to be honest. I can't afford diet food, gym membership, or those things they advertise on tv.... I can't even run, because weight affects my knees. I can walk. Any advice on walking for weight loss. Its hard, but important, to find time for walking. please give me any advice on this issue. I do have a treadmill in the basement, but with all the clutter ( I think I am a hoarder, maybe due abuse survival ) Its currently inaccessible.

stef
02-07-11, 10:11 AM
Hi,
don't feel bad about this! Walking is great. I live about a 15-20 min walk from everything, so I really have no choice as we don't have a car,

Is there some errand you usually do by car, but you could walk there instead? it feels less like "exercise" that way... otherwise maybe there's a park or something near where you live?

Sirrah
02-07-11, 11:04 AM
Not sure what you mean by not being able to afford "diet food". If you're thinking of all of those "slim fast" and "weightwatchers" meals - you don't need that crap. I spend significantly less on a healthy diet than I ever did eating whatever I wanted.

Diet is your first thing to address. If you're not eating below your recommended daily intake, and thus entering a catabolic state, it doesn't matter what exercise you're doing; you won't lose fat. (you'll still be fitter and healthier, though.)

You can work out your body's daily requirements here (http://healthrecipes.com/calories.htm).

Working all that out is the easy part. Determination is the hard bit.

My biggest bit of advice on that is; set small realistic goals. Don't be thinking about six packs and running marathons. Just focus on doing a little bit better each day/week. :)

I think digging that treadmill out, or having someone else get it out, would be a great way to start. I found going out walking/running really daunting when I was overweight - staying in on the treadmill was a godsend.

:edit: here's a great link for working out your diet too http://www.beachbody.com/category/michis_ladder.do

Abi
02-07-11, 11:05 AM
I am 60 lbs. overweight.

Procrastination is the bigger issue, one can lose weight without expensive diet foods and gym memberships.

It's getting started and sticking with a diet/exercise plan that the real b*tch for us ADDers.

Good luck :)

Bluerose
02-07-11, 11:56 AM
mike1w,

Don't feel bad, posting here is good, so much free advice.

This is all I can offer I'm afraid but it works for me.

Eat less and move more.

No matter what type of diet or exercise plan you are on nothing works better that that little rule.

I'm also fond of affirmations and this is one of mine.

"I'm losing weight and I feel great!"

ginniebean
02-07-11, 11:58 AM
Mike, you can excercise with the cheapest thingy, it's a door knob resistance excerciser.

Don't think it doesn't work cause it most certainly can and it's an all body work out lying on your back.. I swear the thing was made for people who have adhd. plus they were all the rage years and years ago... can find them barely used in 2nd hand clothing and junk stores.. people just toss them out.. I have bought several for a dollar. Oh and best thing you're lying down to get excercise :D

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Q5YDQ78CL._SL500_.jpg

or they cost about 10$ (canadian) brand spanking new! This is the one I have.. but, I didn't like how it attached to the door, a little boyscout rope tying a small bit of rope and it attaches very nicely. I got it at zellers.

After50
02-07-11, 12:39 PM
In June of 09, I weighed over 425lbs. Size 54" trousers for the tux at my daughter's wedding that month. Target no longer carried trousers that would go around my belly. As of today, I am at 269lbs.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT RULE:

DIET IS THE CORNERSTONE OF ANY WEIGHT LOSS PROGRAM

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT RULE:

And that is the only rule you will need. Everything else is simply an enhancement to that rule.

When I started out 2 years ago I could only walk 10 minutes. My dog was really impatient but we persevered and after one year was an hour 2X a day for a total of 4+ miles. At the end of one year I had lost close to 100lbs but had I not changed my diet, no matter how much I walked I would not have lost an ounce.

Some tips:

You don't need a fancy food scale to figure out 4 oz portions. Get a small can of tuna from the store. After you eat the tuna wash the can out. for the next serving of whatever, particularly meat, set the can over the piece of meat and press down, you can only eat what is inside the can.

A good rule of thumb is that whatever you target weight is, that is how many grams of protein you should be eating on a daily basis.

Try to cut out as many white carbs (baked potatoes, white bread, processed carbs) as possible. This stuff is like rocket fuel for the body and if you follow eating it with exercise there is not a big problem. However when you eat it and sit there, any of that unused fuel is reformulated into fat.

Cut out as much fat out of your diet as possible. Every excess calorie of fat is deposited as fat in your body. About 1/3 of the total excess calories of protein and complex carbohydrates are needed to be burned to rearrange them into fat.

Eat raw vegetables. Learn to like them. They are as nearly non-nutritional as possible.

When you're hungry drink a glass of water first. If you haven't had a healthy diet for an extended period of time, you body begins confusing and associating thirst signals for hunger. I'm not saying drink water instead of eating, just drink some water every time before reaching for the food.

Intensity of an exercise is directly linked to fitness. Calorie burn is linked to duration and distance. Go for duration and distance and intensity and fitness will be a default result.

If you over 35 and definitely over 40 and have a lot of midsection fat, cherub face cheeks and a good scalp of hair, get to a GP and have your testosterone and your estradiol levels checked. If your T is low and your estradiol is high, before you allow the Doc to prescribe T, request a script of generic anastrozole at 1/4mg daily and then have your T checked again in six weeks. If it is still low, only then accept a script for T and continue the anastrozole. The anastrozole is a very powerful woman's breast cancer drug that in men, blocks the conversion of testosterone into estradiol through a process called aromatization.

And after all that, get your sneakers on, get out of the house and start walking.

Good luck. I know where you are at and I know where you can go.

Bezuidenthustra
02-07-11, 01:59 PM
I am (at least ) 85 lbs overweight, which I hate to say, but I have to be honest. I can't afford diet food, gym membership, or those things they advertise on tv.... I can't even run, because weight affects my knees. I can walk. Any advice on walking for weight loss. Its hard, but important, to find time for walking. please give me any advice on this issue. I do have a treadmill in the basement, but with all the clutter ( I think I am a hoarder, maybe due abuse survival ) Its currently inaccessible.

Mike, I'm a little slammed with work this morning, but I have a number of pointers that will help you lose weight.

Do you have any injuries I should know about? Is your lower back in good order still? Also, do you have any respiratory problems like asthma?

Once I know that I can actually set up a simple program for you that won't be too intense but that will start helping you lose weight. I've done this for a number of people before.

(That all said, no matter what I say here, the best way to lose fat is to build muscle. It will be hard to do that outside of a gym, so if you do find a gym deal that you can afford, think seriously about taking it. Clearly your weight is something that's a high priority to you.)

I'll be back!

Bezuidenthustra
02-07-11, 02:00 PM
In June of 09, I weighed over 425lbs. Size 54" trousers for the tux at my daughter's wedding that month. Target no longer carried trousers that would go around my belly. As of today, I am at 269lbs.

FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT RULE:

LAST AND MOST IMPORTANT RULE:

And that is the only rule you will need. Everything else is simply an enhancement to that rule.

When I started out 2 years ago I could only walk 10 minutes. My dog was really impatient but we persevered and after one year was an hour 2X a day for a total of 4+ miles. At the end of one year I had lost close to 100lbs but had I not changed my diet, no matter how much I walked I would not have lost an ounce.

Some tips:

You don't need a fancy food scale to figure out 4 oz portions. Get a small can of tuna from the store. After you eat the tuna wash the can out. for the next serving of whatever, particularly meat, set the can over the piece of meat and press down, you can only eat what is inside the can.

A good rule of thumb is that whatever you target weight is, that is how many grams of protein you should be eating on a daily basis.

Try to cut out as many white carbs (baked potatoes, white bread, processed carbs) as possible. This stuff is like rocket fuel for the body and if you follow eating it with exercise there is not a big problem. However when you eat it and sit there, any of that unused fuel is reformulated into fat.

Cut out as much fat out of your diet as possible. Every excess calorie of fat is deposited as fat in your body. About 1/3 of the total excess calories of protein and complex carbohydrates are needed to be burned to rearrange them into fat.

Eat raw vegetables. Learn to like them. They are as nearly non-nutritional as possible.

When you're hungry drink a glass of water first. If you haven't had a healthy diet for an extended period of time, you body begins confusing and associating thirst signals for hunger. I'm not saying drink water instead of eating, just drink some water every time before reaching for the food.

Intensity of an exercise is directly linked to fitness. Calorie burn is linked to duration and distance. Go for duration and distance and intensity and fitness will be a default result.

If you over 35 and definitely over 40 and have a lot of midsection fat, cherub face cheeks and a good scalp of hair, get to a GP and have your testosterone and your estradiol levels checked. If your T is low and your estradiol is high, before you allow the Doc to prescribe T, request a script of generic anastrozole at 1/4mg daily and then have your T checked again in six weeks. If it is still low, only then accept a script for T and continue the anastrozole. The anastrozole is a very powerful woman's breast cancer drug that in men, blocks the conversion of testosterone into estradiol through a process called aromatization.

And after all that, get your sneakers on, get out of the house and start walking.

Good luck. I know where you are at and I know where you can go.

Before I head off, I just want to second all this advice. It's not just about what you eat, it's about how and when you eat.

But like I said, I'll be back!

Mignon
02-07-11, 02:18 PM
mike1w,

I looove Michael Thurmond's 12 Day Body Makeover. You can buy the book used on Amazon for like a few bucks. Yeah the title is a gimmick, but the book is great. I got the book to bulk up on muscle tone without having to go to the gym (no thanks!). It has a test in the beginning to determine your body, muscle and metabolism type - and a plan for attaining your personal goal quickly and sustainably, be it losing fat, gaining muscle and weight etc.

I got 5 lb ankle weights for my exercises that I also use to tone my arms as per my 'prescribed' exercises. If traveling, I can pack a resistance band and do the same exercises. If you feel like exercising with ankle weights cramps your style you can just get a resistance band with handles ;). I'd suggest buying 2 or 3 maybe in different brands in case one breaks - that way you don't fall off the wagon just because a piece of equipment broke :)

There's also eating guidlines, and I'd ease in to that once you get in the habit of exercise and feeling the differnce, otherwise you might be taking on too much and it's easy to abandon the whole plan.