View Full Version : Social anxiety and the self esteem of Quasimoto.

ykmhlkn
02-08-11, 07:38 PM
(I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong area, I was puzzled where this should go.. Sorry!
Oh and I'm sorry also because I have a lot of trouble explaining myself thoroughly.)

But yeah. Lately I've been feeling really low about myself. Sometimes I'm too embarrassed about how I look to even go to school. And even during school, I start to get anxious right before I get to a class because in most of my classes, I don't have many friends. I used to be horridly shy, and now I am somewhat outgoing, but now.. I'm going into a downwards spiral. Sometimes I even consider taking the anti-depressants that my doctor gave me when she misdiagnosed me, when I strongly disagree with having to depend on a pill for my happiness. During my classes, I am absolutely terrified to answer questions or get up to blow my nose, write on the chalkboard, etc.. I absolutely hate the attention and I begin to shake sometimes. And it's not only during school, its also even on Facebook. I get scared anxious when I upload a new picture of me because I see all of my flaws when I look at my pictures, I'm scared that people will sit there and think I'm so unattractive and they will laugh at me, so I hardly ever upload any photos of myself, ever. Does anyone have any tips to help me get over this? I feel like I'm so terrified to have attention on me because I have body-image issues. and I have for about a year now. I feel like if people look at they will automatically start to point out all of my flaws.

hypergirl96
02-08-11, 07:52 PM
ypu definately have social anxiety to the point of near social phobia.

i have social anxiety, even though i dont really care if people look at me weird cause i always wear my hair up, prefer sweatshirts, sweatpants, and sneakers, and am a total tomboy.

i feel the same way though sometimes. you could probs go to counseling for this.

(this should be in relationships and socil issues, but no prob. lol :D did something similar once myself)

Conman
06-03-11, 10:44 PM
unless the children in your school are absolutely horrible. and by horrible i mean they have to be It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia horrible (even though that show is funny as ever), they wont laugh at your photos. i dont even know if youre unnattractive or not, if that's you in your avatar then youre fine, youre not unnattractive, you are attractive. if youre paranoid about doing stuff in front of people at school, just remember, nobody cares what you do, they dont judge (except the 1-3% of awful children i mentioned). if people give you crap and try to put you down, remember this, you actually have a future in this world compared to them or "Live well, it's the best revenge." The world is not a bad place, it just seems that way. A comic you should read is Serenity Rose. Considering your social anxiety, google ways to cope with it, if need be, yes see your doctor for medication, or just accept that nobody's perfect, it's all the fallacies of people and society that makes us human. hope that helped. if not, then ask me whats up then. : D

Brob2
06-03-11, 11:55 PM
if that's you in your avatar then youre fine, youre not unnattractive, you are attractive.

unless her head and upper torso actually ARE at a 90 degree angle to her waist, which then could be a problem in many schools. Otherwise yeah, you're pretty darn cute.

On the meds subject, please just use your common sense. Sometimes you get a cut on your knee, you might need stitches and it would be silly not to. Some people are born with a hearing deficiency and need a hearing aid, and life is so much better for them when they wear it. Many folks are born with less dopamine production, or fewer neurotransmitters, inhibited synapses, or something else that drugs can improve. Why would they not try a drug that will make them function better or feel better? If you ever put a little makeup on a pimple, or took some Tylenol for a headache, then you could certainly try a pill or 2 that might help you feel good. It's all about looking after yourself, isn't it? That's our job. You deserve that and probably a lot more;).

Blair

Conman
06-04-11, 12:15 AM
unless her head and upper torso actually ARE at a 90 degree angle to her waist, which then could be a problem in many schools. Otherwise yeah, you're pretty darn cute.

ha. nice. im pretty sure that doesnt happen though. unless she can manipulate gravity, which would be freaking sweet.

and yes i agree, "you're pretty darn cute."

Fiction1228
06-10-11, 03:46 AM
you have seriously. just described me.
like. wow. that plus.
when I walk around. I always hunch my shoulders up and put my head down because I feel like people are just GAWKING at me wherever I go.

Conman
06-10-11, 10:26 AM
look at that, youre not alone. also Fiction, if you think youre unattractive too, youre not. you look awesome.

renka
07-06-11, 12:27 AM
You just told the story of my life. Now I'm 28 and I can handle it better, but I suffered just like you when I was a teenager. I know it doesn't help that much because your impressions are YOURS, but believe me: you're beautiful. And even if you weren't that beautiful, people hardly ever pay attention. We think they do, but they couldn't care less most of times (which can be a bless or a frustration).

Yes, looks like you have traits of social phobia. Check this out: the sooner, the better. :)

80S FAN
07-06-11, 02:01 AM
wow the sideways avatar is giving everyone a stiff neck! names hard to pronounce too lol:)

from a guys perspective if it might help you get insight to your appearance.

your cute! if I was your age, I would have chatted you up.;)

school years suck sometimes and a lot of us went thru that stage
even guys. find a few non judgmental friends and go have some fun, these are the best years of life to enjoy , if i could go back in time to those years and do it all over again i wish i could have had less self doubt
and anxieties that Idid (allthough stupid loser kids were viciously mean
to the point where it made me and other friends I had very self concience about ourselves because we did not conform to their group and we were
indipendent thinkers. and not clones of each other.

so in short what im trying to say is, you look good, if image problem you have is caused by others being mean, dont pay attention. if not, talk to a counselor about it.

Good luck and peace out

MMetelli13
07-20-11, 01:29 AM
(I apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong area, I was puzzled where this should go.. Sorry!
Oh and I'm sorry also because I have a lot of trouble explaining myself thoroughly.)

But yeah. Lately I've been feeling really low about myself. Sometimes I'm too embarrassed about how I look to even go to school. And even during school, I start to get anxious right before I get to a class because in most of my classes, I don't have many friends. I used to be horridly shy, and now I am somewhat outgoing, but now.. I'm going into a downwards spiral. Sometimes I even consider taking the anti-depressants that my doctor gave me when she misdiagnosed me, when I strongly disagree with having to depend on a pill for my happiness. During my classes, I am absolutely terrified to answer questions or get up to blow my nose, write on the chalkboard, etc.. I absolutely hate the attention and I begin to shake sometimes. And it's not only during school, its also even on Facebook. I get scared anxious when I upload a new picture of me because I see all of my flaws when I look at my pictures, I'm scared that people will sit there and think I'm so unattractive and they will laugh at me, so I hardly ever upload any photos of myself, ever. Does anyone have any tips to help me get over this? I feel like I'm so terrified to have attention on me because I have body-image issues. and I have for about a year now. I feel like if people look at they will automatically start to point out all of my flaws.

Anti-depressant meds don't give happiness, they just help you control your depression to the point where it is not debilitating you. If your self image is that bad, there are things you can do to change that. Some part of beating ADHD or at least getting it under control, is not letting the self-terror win. If you feel odd about your clothes, feel free to go shopping and get some new clothes (lord knows I'm well overdue for some new clothes myself) and then go in what you want to wear. In my case, I never let it bother me what people think about what I am wearing too much; though I would like to have nicer clothes, my paychecks are telling me otherwise.