View Full Version : do I really need this?

mike1w
02-11-11, 03:10 PM
there is no question that I suffer from ADHD, PTSD, Anxiety, and Depression. Now, some people, not professionals, have suggested I may have asperger's syndrome or autism, or both, to varying degrees. I already have enough problems. Why people are sticking more labels on me, I don't know. I would not be opposed to those conditions, but I've already discussed each of them with both my counselor and a psychiatrist, who each said they saw little evidence. But the laypeople keep insisting. Granted they are in a minority, and don't have professional experience, but they are vocal.

Trooper Keith
02-11-11, 03:21 PM
Laypeople tend to confuse introversion for autism, schizoid personality for Asperger's disorder, and so on. Don't sweat it; they usually shut up eventually.

nova2012
02-12-11, 01:31 AM
On what basis, do you think, have these people suggested these things?

Scooter77
02-12-11, 04:12 AM
Getting an aspie dx can require re-evaluation of the others.
Anxiety & depression for instance, are part & parcel of Aspergers.
It's very common for Aspies to be wrongly dx'd with loads of other things before getting their Aspergers dx.
PTSD is a common co-occurrence.

Although, obviously not in all cases! I'm generalising, not speaking for the population!

fracturedstory
02-12-11, 05:54 AM
Even medical professionals can misdiagnose. Who is saying you have AS?
I don't see the need for a diagnoses because I believe AS will not live longer as an official dx past 2013. Already it is over diagnosed and the spectrum has been stretched so thin. People that get diagnosed and have it mildly start their own pride movements about how it is a gift because they don't experience the symptoms as bad.
Only get diagnosed if you need to be. The diagnoses does little but give you the label. You can get support services if you need to but I think with those dx's if you ever needed to get support you could get it.

mike1w
02-14-11, 01:11 PM
laypeople, not professionals, see symptoms in me ( from ADHD, etc...) that they also recognize in their child ( or whoever ) that has been diagnosed with Autism, Asperger's, etc. Thus in their "expert" opinion, I have x, a symptom of Y, so I must have Y.

Fortune
02-14-11, 06:40 PM
laypeople, not professionals, see symptoms in me ( from ADHD, etc...) that they also recognize in their child ( or whoever ) that has been diagnosed with Autism, Asperger's, etc. Thus in their "expert" opinion, I have x, a symptom of Y, so I must have Y.

Laypeople and even professionals can come to faulty conclusions from having limited information about you and assuming that what they know somehow defines you. The parsimonious explanation is that it is probably your ADHD, especially given that Asperger's Syndrome and ADHD do have enough overlap that children who have AS are sometimes misdiagnosed with ADHD.

Or:

"When you hear hoofbeats in central park, don't go looking for zebras." This means that the most straightforward explanation is probably the most likely.

fracturedstory
02-14-11, 07:45 PM
I'm pretty guilty of suspecting AS in a boy with ADHD. Both disorders have a lot in common.
Just ignore those people that say you have AS.
I've been told I have OCD, Bipolar, Schizoid personality, and even MS by some people.

I have been dx'd with autism, ADHD, depression, social anxiety and seeking a dx for epilepsy. I don't need anymore labels. Not even for things I need like sensory processing disorder, Irlen's syndrome or dyspraxia.