View Full Version : Desoxyn as a legitimate alternative to Adderall?

tanor
02-13-11, 01:41 PM
Over the past several years, I've explored the full spectrum of pharmaceutical stims, including several of the methylphenidate-based medications (Focalin, Methylin, another Ritalin generic) and several of the amphetamine-based medications (Adderall, Desxoyn, Dexedrine, Vyvanse).

I had been on 5 mg Adderall 3x day for the past several months, (reduced at my discretion from 10 mg/ 3x per day) but recently informed my pdoc that I couldn't put up with Adderall's side effects any longer. He suggested I try Intuniv, and I agreed despite my uncertainty as to whether a BP-medication could truly be as effective as a powerful CNS stimulant. I've been taking Intuniv for a week and while it does help somewhat with clarity, I am not nearly as focused as I need to be to function.

All of this leads me to wonder whether Desoxyn, while surely not the holy grail of ADHD medications, would fit the bill of CNS stimulant with tolerable side effects. I did bring up Desoxyn with my pdoc in our last session and I could swear it prompted a moment's thought as to my potential drug-seeking intentions before he segued into his Intuniv pitch. I don't know, my impression has generally been that Desoxyn is prescribed when other medications come up short, i.e. second-line for ADHD, but my experience with asking for it from two different pdocs is that it's more of a red flag for the patient than a legitimate, viable option for those patients who are too sensitive or respond poorly to other stims. I suppose that what I am asking is, where do I go from here?

jl_zimmerman
02-19-11, 12:14 PM
I know how you feel. I tend to be sensitive to most the meds also. The adderall works best for me except with side effects. I have also been trying to find a doc that prescribes desoxyn but with the government propaganda against it it's had to find one to prescribe. My experience with it is full symptom relief and 0 side effects. It's to bad that people have to suffer when there are med's available that might work but because of the stigma around it people that could benefit from it suffer.

Good Luck on your endeavors

twinch42085
02-20-11, 02:16 AM
I visited with my family doctor last week to have my scripts refilled. I was unable to see him because he was in a meeting and instead I had to meet with a nurse practitioner. She ask me how my medicine was working with my ADD and I told her that I had no appetite, and my blood pressure was high.

I never have had high blood pressure and desoxyn was the cause of it. the nurse practitioner went on to say that I was currently taking 20mg @ 5mg/tablet 4x/day. I told her yes that was correct but that I could not handle the side effects of the desoxyn.

When she was finished reviewing my meds on her computer she turned around to me and said that I was not taking desoxyn. she said that I was taking the same exact prescription but that it was dexamphetamine. I told her that it was a typo for sure. So, she even had to go get my normal doctor who came in the room and looked over the computer. His conclusion was that it was a mess up on the pharmacies part.

He went on to say that we will change you to 20mg of Dexedrine to be taken in split dosages of 10mg.

I said wait no no no. First of all you prescribed me Dexmethamphetamine and it was not the pharmacies fault because it took them two days to get the medicine.

Second of all you're taking me from 20mg of Methamphetamine to 20mg of dextroamphetamine. Noticeable difference in symptom relief.

So, he said what would you like to do. I told him that I would like to have an appetite, be able to not hyperfocus and Ultimately be the funny kind person that every one knows me to be.

I said 40mg/day of Dexedrine Instant Release will be my suggestion. He then replied with OK then take 20mg in the morning and then 20mg in the evening.

On that note I believe he was a little eerie that he had prescribed desoxyn to me without realizing it.

Going through this experience I will not fall back on desoxyn because the troubles that it can create.

Don't get me wrong though when I say that. Desoxyn should be a first line treatment for ADD in my opinion because with other stimulants it seems they give out after so long.

Just with that thought in my head makes me feel that I am the last leaf to fall to the river and I will be floating for quite a while without anywhere to turn.

Good Luck!

tanor
02-21-11, 12:54 AM
I visited with my family doctor last week to have my scripts refilled. I was unable to see him because he was in a meeting and instead I had to meet with a nurse practitioner. She ask me how my medicine was working with my ADD and I told her that I had no appetite, and my blood pressure was high.

I never have had high blood pressure and desoxyn was the cause of it. the nurse practitioner went on to say that I was currently taking 20mg @ 5mg/tablet 4x/day. I told her yes that was correct but that I could not handle the side effects of the desoxyn.

I'm am extremely sensitive to meds, not to mention just about everything, thus it may well be that I simply cannot tolerate any of the amphetamines, methamphetamine included. Since I'm unlikely to be prescribed Desoxyn anytime in the forseeable future, I guess I'll never know.

Trooper Keith
02-21-11, 01:03 AM
I think Desoxyn is pretty much something that nobody prescribes, at least in the US. I have worked in pharmacy for six years and, to my knowledge, have never even been in a pharmacy that stocks it.