View Full Version : Art Class for Autistic Teens

Turbochica
02-13-11, 03:09 PM
I am currently employed at a Residential Facility to care for non verbal autistic boys. Recently I was asked to run the art class, I have a degree in Graphic Design, and experience with creating andworking with kids of all ages on art projects. I am very excited about this class for two reasons:

1. I get to inspire these kids to create and have fun

2. I get to be a kid again and do the same :)

I am in the process of finding ideas for projects. I have found some and it's inspiring me. I am so excited about this opportunity. :)

julesjampot
02-13-11, 03:49 PM
Oh Turbochica sounds wonderful ,wish i could help. I work with children of all abilities and they all get so much out of being creative.
My daughter who's on the autistic spectrum loves paint but doesn't like getting messy! Enjoy !! :D

eggyolkes
02-13-11, 03:53 PM
I am a special education major and work at a place that serves individuals with disabilities. Needless to say, its my life, and I lovvee it!!

fracturedstory
02-13-11, 06:29 PM
Oh Turbochica sounds wonderful ,wish i could help. I work with children of all abilities and they all get so much out of being creative.
My daughter who's on the autistic spectrum loves paint but doesn't like getting messy! Enjoy !! :D
I hate getting messy too. Art is very messy.

sarek
02-13-11, 06:44 PM
I think fracturedstory and julesjamport may have a point. But there are certainly many ways of working with art that will not get them messy.

I think its an amazing idea. This will be very beneficial to them.

Turbochica
02-13-11, 08:51 PM
Thanks for the comments. Yes, we might have kids that don't want to get messy but that will probably where the staff steps in and helps by helping doing the messy stuff. Thanks for those comments too, I will be talking with the person who was running this class and will make sure I ask this question about the students amongst other questions I have.

fracturedstory
02-14-11, 04:38 AM
Have hand sanitizer on standby. Or a small bowl of water to rinse hands.

I knew there was a reason why I prefer sketching. I'm not too fond of using the eraser though.

Anyway, getting serious now. I think if you clean the mess as soon as it happens it should be ok. It's when I cook with someone. They take care of doing the dishes because I just freak out and complain over the mess.

Crazygirl79
02-14-11, 05:05 AM
I hate mess too...photgraphic art is cool though.

Good on you Turbo.

Selena

Turbochica
02-28-11, 08:34 PM
Hello
I had my first class and was able to see who was in the class. I know all the boys or have seen them. We did a simple activity which allowed me to observe these boys and see if what I was thinking about doing makes sense. well , I was relieved to see that yes, my ideas look like they are heading in the right direction :)

this is what I was thinking of doing during the time:
1. have some kind of check in board that they put their name on the board when they come in. I also want to assign tasks for the boys to do to help out the class i.e., snack pass out supplies, circle time leader, clean up crew.

the basic structure of the class would be like this
1. sign in and check to see who the helpers are and what task is assigned
2. snack time and introduce the project to them.
3 circle time : with gross motor exercises to warm up ( the rec instructor is always saying they need to do the gross motor skills before they do fine motor skills
3. do the project
4. show and compliment: show what each student created and compliment them on their artwork
5. clean up
6. closing time
7. dismiss them

any feedback is encouraged
so that's what my plans are.

Turbochica
07-12-11, 10:55 AM
Well, I am overdue to update this thread on my art class.

I am happy to report that getting messy was not an issue with the boys.
I did a project where we used pain to make hand prints and everyone participated!

Overall , It was a positive experience. I learned to bring a project and let the boys do whatever they wanted, they will do that anyways to some degree, and be happy that they were participating and engaged in the activity.I had MANY pleasant surprises by doing this.

The directions that they headed in, were creative and original. Sometimes I had no clue where they were going with the project, but in the end it all came together very well.

I believe I have heard that when you teach, you get as much, if not more out of the experience as your students. I knew that to be true and experienced it myself. These boys helped me be more creative. I realized that I was boxing in my creative abilities . I would start a drawing and not like the way it was looking , trash it and start again, and again . . and again. Now, I start a project and run with it. Sometimes, the drawing that I have liked the least at the beginning have become my favorites at the end. I am more willing to take creative risk, to just create period. So I have these boys to thank for a renewed surge of creativity in my life.

samson smith
11-29-11, 07:56 AM
I am currently employed at a Residential Facility to care for non verbal autistic boys. Recently I was asked to run the art class, I have a degree in Graphic Design, and experience with creating andworking with kids of all ages on art projects. I am very excited about this class for two reasons:

1. I get to inspire these kids to create and have fun

2. I get to be a kid again and do the same :)

I am in the process of finding ideas for projects. I have found some and it's inspiring me. I am so excited about this opportunity. :)

Wow, very nice!! I think there is a great help for you.