View Full Version : Adhd? Sid? Both?

simbella
02-14-11, 11:43 PM
My almost 10 year old daughter was dx with ADHD-CT two years ago. She's been on medication (Focalin - didn't work, now Vyvanse 40mg) for the past 1 1/2 years. Unfortunately, her medication does not help her much. She is still very unfocused and fidgety. I read a checklist on a website and it does sound like she has Hyposensitivity to things. Could it be that she has SID and not ADHD and that's why the medication doesn't work? Could she have both? Or maybe it's just ADHD and we haven't found the right medication yet? I'm so confused and trying so hard to help the best I can. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

manismom
06-16-11, 07:46 PM
Debbie, sorry I can't help you more. I'm dealing with the same thing with my almost 6 year old.

What I have learned is that some people seem to think it is the same thing. Go to a psychiatrist and get dx ADHD, got to an occupational therapist, get dx sensory processing or integration disorder.

Another forumite has a child with similar issues. Medications help her child with some things, but not others. Not everyone who has ADHD responds to meds. That said, we are thinking of a trial of meds.

An occupational therapist would be the one to see.

Gotta run. More in a few.

Kunga Dorji
08-06-11, 09:14 AM
There is serious overlap between these syndromes- and understanding these overlaps will be essential to finally figuring out the whole ADHD issue.
Have a look at this book- available on Kindle for $9.23. I have just got it- and am intrigued- as I am receiving some treatment from the brain balancing approach for my few residual ADHD symptoms.

http://www.amazon.com/Disconnected-Kids-Groundbreaking-Neurological-Disorders/dp/039953475X

The practitioner I have been seeing is very impressive- as he can demonstrate to me the reflex abnormalities in me that he is trying to correct- in ways that I cannot dispute- and I am a Medical Practitioner.

PamelaM
08-24-11, 10:58 PM
My son is 8 and he has ADHD and a sensory disorder. Some examples of his sensory - when he was little he would have a tantrum over an "itchy" tag on his shirt, loud noises hurt his ears and he would cover them, bright lights bothered his eyes and he would cover them, bathing him was a battle b/c the water bothered him. We did not see an occupational therapist but we worked with him on our own to help him manage his sensory issues.

His ADHD can present itself in similar and different ways. With his ADHD he lacks self control and is extremely emotionally impulsive. This could be confused with sensory depending on the trigger. My son has many impulse issues and other issues not related to his senses. Ex if he gets an answer wrong he has a tantrum, if he loses a game he has a tantrum, etc. Make any sense?

Our psycologist was able to recognize through interviewing us and having his teacher fill out forms that he had both. The medication (he is on concerta) has helped his ADHD and the work we've done with him has helped his sensory. The only sensory we haven't had much success with is his taste/texture with his mouth.

sarahsweets
08-25-11, 10:35 AM
My daughter has sensory issues and adhd. She has tried dexedrine but the side effects are rough. Her sensory issues are vast it seems. Texture smell and taste, noise, too many choices too much stimulation. I'm starting to look into asbergers too.

amm8589
08-28-11, 07:51 AM
My 12 y.o. son struggled with SID as well. He went through Occupational Therapy three times to help with these issues, and he is doing much better now. He still has some lingering sensory issues, but it's much, much better.

Sensory and ADHD do overlap, but there is definitely a difference. My son's sensory issues were so severe that we addressed those when he was still in preschool. He was terrified of loud noises, afraid of movement, screamed when he was confined to his carseat, etc. OT made most of these issues vanish. The only thing that lingered was impulse control, which we finally had to admit was ADHD.

The only qualified professional to diagnose SID is an occupational therapist, and it must be one who is certified in SID. Meanwhile, there is always the possibility that the medication is just not the right one. My friend's son was on Vyvannse for a year and it wasn't working well. She switched to Metadate CD and he has been doing beautifully.

Hope this helps,

amm8589