View Full Version : Pet Therapy for ASD Folk.

Crazygirl79
02-17-11, 02:50 AM
Here is a lovely article about how a Rhodesian Ridgeback brought joy to the life of a child with ASD.

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/pets/dogs/2011-02-15-westminster15_st_N.htm?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4d5aaeb734664bbf%2C0

Selena:)

Rebelyell
02-17-11, 12:37 PM
Animals are good very good therapy for people and kids with disabilities.As long as there not violent w the animal.I know when I had my blizzard I'd pet him on the couch or floor and Id feel more calmer and content.We use to fall asleep on the floor together and when bro came in he's do abarrel roll onto his feet and kick n scratch me in the face,not on purpose tho:)I'd get so relaxed petting him Id fall asleep on the couch next thing I knew when i woke up,he stole the blanket off me:Dhe'd be rolled up on it and in it:)

fracturedstory
02-17-11, 08:08 PM
I couldn't read that without getting a bit teary eyed. My last dog had to be taken to the pound because she was out of control. Not a very suitable autism service dog.
But oh God, how I miss having a dog and how I need a dog. I just don't think people will take it seriously for someone that seems mostly high functioning would need a service dog.
But I do become much more lower to moderate when in stress social situations. Even when I walk into town I can feel when it changes because my hand doesn't stop shaking. It's more of a stim though. It's an up and down movement not shaking because of anxiety, though I'm sure some is there.
I'm really hopeless at crossing roads too.

Crazygirl79
02-18-11, 12:32 AM
Fracturedstory: You would have to have a specially trained disability aid dog, I hope to get a Rhodesian Ridgeback and have him/her trained as a disability aid dog if I don't train it myself...

Rebeyell: I agree with your post.

Selena

fracturedstory
02-18-11, 05:03 AM
Do they have to be trained as puppies? There's a mother Malamute that was dumped with her pups. I know one puppy was adopted but the likelihood of the mother getting a home is slim so I want to adopt her.
I'm a good trainer. I'm sure I can get help from the autism services I'm close to as well. They want me to one day be as guest speaker.
I would get a puppy but I want to rescue the mother.

Crazygirl79
02-26-11, 12:01 AM
It is better if they are trained as puppies!!.

Most disability aid dogs undergo an 18 month training program..perhaps you can call the disability services of NSW or ASPECT?

Selena