View Full Version : Celexa seems to be helping

Joker_Girl
02-18-11, 12:13 AM
Well I have been on this Celexa for about 2 weeks now, I am HESITANTLY going to say it is helping. I didn't think it would, as I tried Lexapro and it didn't help, and they are closely related. But so far, so good. I was going to see if it did not help about maybe trying one of these mood stabilizing meds as had been suggested. This was kind of a last ditch effort as I think the only antidepressants I had not tried were Celexa and Remeron.

I am still on Ritalin 20mg twice a day. I had been kind of bummed out as it seems like the Ritalin has become less effective over the past year, only lasting about an hour and a half, and they have not been willing to let me take it three times a day. Breaking them in half doesnt work because they knock me out then. So I have discovered a cheat...LOL...if I take the morning one around 8 and drink an Amp or Red Bull at like 11 am, it kind of seems like it makes me not crash out. I seem to be okay and semifunctional until 2 pm which is when i try to take the second Ritalin. Between that and taking days off anytime I don't absolutely need to sit still and not be a space case, I am hoping I can prevent myself becoming any more tolerant to it than I am.

I take the Celexa at night because it makes me tired. At first, it made me sick to my stomach, but I have kind of gotten used to it.

Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same side effects I had with Paxil...my sex drive is pretty much zilch and even if I get "in the mood", I'm not going to be able to "finish up" anyway, so why bother? (sorry, TMI?) Anyways....THAT is kind of depressing, but at least I am not so teary and wanting to lay in bed and stare at the wall and be alone.

It is almost like when I am depressed, there is just this overwhelming sadness/ lethargy/ hopelessness that just takes over and I can't get out of my rut. I feel like I do not even want to be alive (I am not suicidal, I just wish I didn't have to feel).

I do not feel as depressed, in fact, it seems like my emotions are more numb or something, I just don't "feel" as much as I did...which I like.

So far, so good! LOL

hollywood
02-18-11, 11:51 PM
Wow. So much for effective treatment

Joker_Girl
02-19-11, 03:04 PM
I know...it seems discouraging that I've had to trade my ability to "feel" in order to not feel so bad.

I feel pretty numb. I can get upset, or in a better mood, but I definitely don't feel sadness as strongly as I did before.

I am hopeful I can stay on this low of a dose. I really, really, really HATE the sex thing.

I would really like to feel okay without having to take pills to do it. Or abuse illegal drugs, as I have done in the past.

Maybe this is what "normal" feels like...I am not sure.

buddy
02-19-11, 04:20 PM
I really hope you feel better soon.I was on Celexa about 3yrs. ago & it was very effective for my depression.I do remember the doctor telling me that Celexa seemed to help depression faster than a lot of the anti-depressants.It seems to me it started working for me at about 4weeks rather than the 6-8weeks,other ads'take to become effective.I certainly wish I didn't have to take all the meds. I am on, but they are working for me.Good luck!

buddy

Joker_Girl
03-02-11, 11:55 PM
Still seems to be helping, somewhat, but man, oh man, the sex thing is killin me here lol.

Hopefully this isnt TMI, but I tell ya, the other night we were kid-free, Saturday night, got the next morning to sleep in....and I was feeling "loving". Wow it was like beating a dead horse, I swear I finally told him, you're off the hook, it's not gonna happen, close but not close enough. LOL

I'm skipping it tonight, hopefully it will be out of my system "enough" by tomorrow night. I got to get some closure on this deal or I'm gonna lose my mind.

Seriously, is it not possible to make an antidepressant that doesn't do this? Because....that's depressing....lol.

Otherwise, it seems to be helping, I am not as sad (unless sexually frustrated counts as sad), and i do not have any (other) ill effects...I'm not sick at my stomach, or gaining/losing weight.