View Full Version : Compulsive overeating

425runner
02-19-11, 07:03 PM
Hello everyone -

I have this compulsive eating issue going on, like today - I had a healthy lunch (salmon with brown rice) but about 2 hr later, I fixed a huge stack of pancakes with a stick of butter and about 12 oz of maple syrup. Now I'm stuffed....

This has been going on for two weeks now, I had some health issues which lead to anxiety, tax season started, I can't keep up at work, my ADD is out of control, and I feel like I can't even control my weight anymore. I'm on Wellbutrin XL 150 for depression, Vyvanse 30 mg which makes me even more anxious, I hate this med :( so expensive and not even working! Supposed to be taking Klonopin 0.5 mg but I've been very fortgetfull lately.

Any ideas? Thank you!!

tudorose
02-20-11, 08:30 AM
You need to make sure you're eating enough and at the right times for a start. I do this sort of thing at night once the meds wear off. I exercise hard for 3 hours a day most days and haven't been able to lose any weight. When I wrote down what I was eating the problem was clear - not enough food during the day. I'm going to try and do it different tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. The brain runs on glycogen which may be why you feel the need to eat carbs especially if you have to try and think a lot. Maybe also try drinking a big bottle of water.

425runner
02-20-11, 11:32 AM
Yeah...you might be right. I've been trying to lose weight by eating low carb, and I don't have any appetite during the work day so I eat very little. But on the weekends....all hell gets loose. It's a vicious cycle and I wish I knew how to stop this! It's sabotaging my weight loss efforts.

You need to make sure you're eating enough and at the right times for a start. I do this sort of thing at night once the meds wear off. I exercise hard for 3 hours a day most days and haven't been able to lose any weight. When I wrote down what I was eating the problem was clear - not enough food during the day. I'm going to try and do it different tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. The brain runs on glycogen which may be why you feel the need to eat carbs especially if you have to try and think a lot. Maybe also try drinking a big bottle of water.

water
02-20-11, 02:03 PM
One of the side effects of Ritalin that I'm enjoying is reduced appetite. It's nice in that I don't use food for stimulation as much and I'm losing weight, but annoying in that I'll forget to eat lunch and then get all shaky around 4 pm. Then I stuff my face full of junk food and feel crappy the rest of the day. Good times. So, I can relate.

Can you keep healthy food around and plan out smaller, less frequent meals? For instance, if you tend to be hungry a few hours after lunch you could have a salad, yogurt, fruit, cheese, or something else "easy" and ready to go. Also, if you consciously plan to eat that food at that time it may not feel as much like overeating as it's just another meal.

eggyolkes
04-05-11, 01:16 PM
I have phases of "overeating". Like this morning: bagel and orange juice from jamba juice. Then in about 3 hours lunch: a small salad and soup. Then afterwards, i decided to open a thing of kashi, go lean crunch cereal. Awful. Or is it just me?

Edit: I am not taking any medication though... erm... ignore this post, it doesn't exactly fit it with the thread haha.

momma_add
04-05-11, 03:00 PM
I do the exact same thing. I'm addicted to food. I'm on Adderall XR and it helps my cravings and my willpower to say NO! But some days.. even the Adderall can't overcome the beast inside me. In the last month of so I've lost 10 lbs. This last weekend started off with me eating great. By the end of the night I shoveled everything into my mouth that I could. It's a cycle for me too.

I was doing low carb as well. Hopefully getting back on it asap!

loveydovey25
04-05-11, 10:03 PM
Compulsive overeating may occur becuase you don't have a lot of dopamine...so if you are on Wellbutrin and still feel the urge to overeat ask your pdoc to increase your dosage to 300mgs or 450mgs...I haver the same problem as well but I was bumped up to 300mgs of Wellbutrin XL and so far it's okay. Another thing is to try to eat some carbs because if you are going on the low carb diet you might get depressed and overeat since you are depriving yourself of seratonin and glycogen which your body and brain needs to function properly. I've been told that most ADD people calm themselves by following their addictions be it food, drugs, or any other stimuli so it's completely normal to feel this way! :)

tudorose
04-06-11, 05:57 AM
I managed to lose a bit of weight but then I got stressed and upset and ate a couple of packets of tim tams and a couple of blocks of chocolate. I think I may have a problem here.

Relish
04-06-11, 09:02 PM
Runner425, I am assuming that you run. Protein, protein, protein...As a former marathon runner I know exactly what your experiencing. Your body is asking for more energy therefore the binge/overeating. I remember trying to get acclimated to the food intake my body was demanding as I increased my mileage/intensity. It was foreign to be eating SO MUCH.

The high stack of pan cakes was probably your body calling out for glucose/energy. The protein will fill you up and make your muscles happy (no you will not get bulky) My fave after a workout is some chocolate protein powder mixed in skim milk. Delish!

Fiction1228
04-12-11, 08:36 PM
ughhh tell me about it. I've been bulimic for two years. I started adderall XR last month and stopped binging/purging the day I started it. now over the past week, ive been stuffing my face with veggies. and two days of just INHALING jars of peanut butter. I look like i've gained about 10 pounds, i bet I have. but seriously binging on veggies? wtf, I should be looking like this from only eating VEGETABLES throughout the day.
/rant :P