View Full Version : Is anybody else really sensitive to the cold?

Twiggy
02-20-11, 05:51 PM
Right now it's 57 degrees Fahrenheit outside and I feel freezing cold with my sweat shirt and hood on. (In Southern California)

I can't stand cold temperatures that are below 70 degrees.
I start getting goose bumps and get chilled to the bone.

Who else can't tolerate or is sensitive to the cold?

buddy
02-20-11, 08:43 PM
I live in northern New York state in what is known as the snowbelt.I am sensitive to the cold also but I guess it's all relative.I seem to be more sensitive to the lack of sunshine & I believe I have SAD.But I can tell the sun is getting higher in the sky & it is staying light out until almost 6pm.I am starting to feel it inside & therefore I feel more hopeful.

hypergirl96
02-20-11, 08:49 PM
sorry, cant relate here. i loooooooooove the cold! :D but my mom and brother hate it. my moms puerto rican though so that explains that. lol :D but i will admit that i am geting sick of it riight now. im ready 4 spring. :D

Rebelyell
02-20-11, 09:00 PM
tired of this cold *** weather already,if it wasnt for my job which I might lose Id be out of here.I'd love to move to costa rica or some where warm.

angie3521
05-13-11, 03:47 PM
I hate the cold too! I can't stand to be below 70 degrees also. Everyone around me thinks I am crazy. I use my heater all year in my office and keep jackets everywhere with me. BTW, I live in Oklahoma. I always joke around about retiring on an island where I can enjoy the warmth and sun. I don't necessarily crave a beach...just the sunlight and warmth on my skin.

Kaimei
05-17-11, 10:22 PM
I'm always saying there's a reason I live in the desert! Anything below 70 F is horrible for me, and if I get seriously chilled - I don't just shiver, I shudder. Uncontrollably. It's painful, my bones ache, and I have to get into a tub full of hot water before I can start feeling better. Certain areas of my body, particularly my ankles and wrists, seem to be even more susceptible. Getting snow or ice on those can chill my whole body.

Plus, I get sick in cold, damp weather.

My normal body temperature is a little lower than average, though, and I don't have a lot of body fat. I'm petite, so that probably has something to do with it.

Now heat, on the other hand...I can wear jeans and regular t shirts in 120 F, work outside, and though I'm fatigued at the end of the day, I'm not wiped out the way most people are. It balances out, I suppose.

Offle
05-17-11, 10:31 PM
I'm more sensitive to warm weather. Anything above 70 degrees will make me uncomfortable and irritable.

tired1823
05-17-11, 10:43 PM
yes!! I am such a baby when it comes to the cold. I can't chill when it's chilly. I always wanted to go inside first in high school or college when my friends were hanging out outside in the cold.

Fortune
05-18-11, 12:13 AM
I'm the opposite. I don't notice the temperature get below freezing until I actually feel mild frostbite. On the other hand, warmer temperatures (above 70 degrees) I feel particularly uncomfortable.

starry
01-11-13, 06:05 AM
Yep! I don't do well at all when it's even slightly cold. But I don't do well when it's hot either. I'm usually the person always freezing and complaining about it in the winter or I'm the person complaining about how hot it is and how miserable it feels in the summer.
Was diagnosed with anemia when I was in my teens and I believe I still have it. That doesn't help when it's cold.

anonymouslyadd
01-11-13, 06:12 AM
Yes, I struggle with it. I say that I'm cold blooded like a reptile.

Arei
01-20-13, 11:32 PM
In my experience, everyone who is sensitive or intolerant of cold is normal.

It's the people who get so sick and uncomfortable from the heat are the weird ones. I'm not nearly as bad as my mom (who doesn't turn the heat on the winter!!!), but I've always been really hot natured. I've lived in Texas all my life but when it's hot and really humid it makes me feel so sick. I've got a fan on year round because i cannot stand to be hot or sweat (unless working out). If I sweat I cannot sleep, it is so uncomfortable.

I love the cold, but with RAD (reactive airway disease), it will make my throat close up something awful, breathing in the cold is very bad for me >__< But I love it, it feels wonderful.

It drives me bonkers when it's 68 F inside of a room during the summer and everyone is screaming about how cold they are and run to grab sweaters, and if we're in a hotel I'll find the thermostat has been jacked up to 80, in summer, and I am about to die. So when everyone is asleep, I turn that s*** back down to 65 and throw all my blankets on them and tell them to deal. I think if you have 2 heavy comforters on you and are still freezing to death in the middle of summer, you might have another issue.

Flory
01-20-13, 11:35 PM
im not good with cold, also has to do with my inability to dress/plan approprate clothing for the weather outside, losing gloves and scarf on a regular basis etc :p

Tyler Durden
01-20-13, 11:39 PM
No I'm a man, I don't feel cold...

I have noticed girls tend to get colder, wheras I don't like it too hot..

Let the thermostat wars commence!

Arei
01-21-13, 02:03 AM
I'd get along very well with a guy who also couldn't stand the heat either. I've noticed a lot more guys are like that, but there's still plenty who are cold intolerant.

I also notice that those from extremely cold places have a lot more tolerance to the heat, I guess because it feels so good after so many months of cold that we just don't have in Texas. The A/Cs usually start coming on in April, but today I'm sure if I went out for a drive I probably would've flipped the A/C on as it was 70, so the car would've been a bit warm. As soon as it's above perfectly mild and into warmer territory (over 70), it usually is hot enough in the car (not always the house) to hit the A/C. Also it has the ability to stay hot here until well into fall. We really didn't cold cold until the beginning of December. Yet I have friends from the north who usually shut their A/Cs off once it gets under 80-85 ish. No that is still too warm for no A/C!!!!!!! It might be october but its still 90 degrees out and you need to turn it back on. I've had to forgo spending the night at some people's houses mostly because they keep it so warm I can't sleep.

When I was up in Toronto back in May, I was hoping to get a bit reprieve from the heat down here, but they were having their own mini heat wave. It was in the 80s and even low 90s a couple of days, but except for the supermarkets and busses/trains, most businesses did not have any kind of A/C on at all. Man that is way too warm for no A/C. Also they were just now going to turn the A/C on in my friends house, and it died shortly after they got it up and working, so it was miserable.

I'd be a terrible roommate, I would be screaming all the time about the heat, it makes me beyond irritable. I'm such a horrible person lol.

spunkysmum
01-21-13, 02:51 AM
In my experience, everyone who is sensitive or intolerant of cold is normal.

It's the people who get so sick and uncomfortable from the heat are the weird ones. I'm not nearly as bad as my mom (who doesn't turn the heat on the winter!!!), but I've always been really hot natured. I've lived in Texas all my life but when it's hot and really humid it makes me feel so sick. I've got a fan on year round because i cannot stand to be hot or sweat (unless working out). If I sweat I cannot sleep, it is so uncomfortable.

I love the cold, but with RAD (reactive airway disease), it will make my throat close up something awful, breathing in the cold is very bad for me >__< But I love it, it feels wonderful.

It drives me bonkers when it's 68 F inside of a room during the summer and everyone is screaming about how cold they are and run to grab sweaters, and if we're in a hotel I'll find the thermostat has been jacked up to 80, in summer, and I am about to die. So when everyone is asleep, I turn that s*** back down to 65 and throw all my blankets on them and tell them to deal. I think if you have 2 heavy comforters on you and are still freezing to death in the middle of summer, you might have another issue.

Your opening threw me off. Did you mean that according to other people, those who are insensitive to cold are normal and the heat-sensitive are weird? Because I'd say the cold-sensitive are the weirdos, LOL. The WORST part about winter is the tendency people have to jack up the heat way higher than it needs to be in reaction to the cold outside. 65-68 is just about the perfect temperature for sleeping. And a fan is an absolute essential for sleep of any quality at all!

tudorose
01-21-13, 05:56 AM
Anything below about 26 degrees C (80F) is too cold. I have to wear jumpers in summer at work coz the aircon is too cold. I've just turned the home aircon off coz I had goosebumps and my hands are frozen.

sarahsweets
01-21-13, 07:55 AM
adderall makes my extremeties cold.

Flory
01-21-13, 08:10 AM
i get this with dex, my circulation isnt the best but my hands and feet are corpse like...i doubt the smoking helps me any with this either :P

SquarePeg
01-21-13, 10:10 AM
I am sensitive to both hot and cold, and so far (because itīs winter) have noticed that I am even more cold intolerant than normal since starting concerta.

I have always blamed my underactive thyroid gland, meaning that I donīt have a working thermostat.
I get cold very easily and always wear more clothes than the rest of my family, friends or work colleagues. Once I am cold I canīt warm up either, so I canīt let myself get cold otherwise I stay cold for hours. Then I ache because I am so tense trying to keep warm.

Even if my core temperature is normal, not only will my feet be cold but my skin can also feel cold.

stef
01-21-13, 10:32 AM
not "cold" so much, as drafts
I'm always wearing turtlenecks and scarves in winter
I hate the damp cold, I'm colder here in France at 5° C than -10° in the states

eats_mice
03-26-13, 12:51 PM
When the room is 69 degrees or colder, I feel I must wear socks to keep my feet warm. If it is 73 degrees or warmer, I feel I must take my socks off to stay cool.

LaBrit
05-22-13, 08:29 AM
Yes, I've always been cold. I can remember sitting as a child next to grandmothers fireplace to watch T.V. while everyone else was hot.

Illumination
08-06-13, 03:35 AM
Yes. While trialling a med for ADHD, one gave me blue nails and I was freezing cold... The pdoc informed me that Reynauds was exacerbated by that med and that I therefore had Reynauds. Explains the freezing cold peripherals I've had for as long as I can remember. Now I know, I just 'overdress' for it.