View Full Version : Diagnosed Today

Spikey 723
02-22-11, 04:17 PM
Just got diagnosed today with aspergers, to go with the adhd.

Quite surprised - wasn't expecting it.

But very happy the NHS funded my assessment in a differing trust area - it seems they had more idea than me!!

StoicNate
02-22-11, 04:32 PM
Now you know for sure and know more about yourself.

julesjampot
02-22-11, 07:10 PM
Spikey hi,
what support are they giving you my daughter just diagnoses asd but because shes doing well in school ,no suport anywhere

Spikey 723
02-23-11, 08:01 AM
Hi.

The service I saw was just diagnostic.

They'll be writing to my doctors (gp and adhd) - but I'm not sure what happens next!!

I'm also due support at uni - and maybe this new diagnosis will help strengthen my case.

I also get disability living allowance - but I got that before I was even diagnosed with add - cos that goes on symptoms - not diagnosis.

fracturedstory
02-24-11, 12:17 AM
It's great that you may be getting more support at Uni. I had to get an official diagnoses to get on disability. It wasn't really about my symptoms but the fact that I was struggling to get work and had poor social skills. OK, maybe it was a little about my symptoms.

Spikey 723
03-07-11, 10:24 AM
Just don't know what the NHS service is for aspergers where I live.

There must be something, otherwise why would they bother in diagnosing it!

fracturedstory
03-08-11, 04:24 AM
Because it is on the autistic spectrum there will definitely be some special services you can get on.

Spikey 723
03-10-11, 01:27 PM
I think I'll make an appointment with my GP, last time I saw him he hadn't had the paperwork through. He didn't give me any ideas then though.

Jr1985
03-11-11, 08:27 AM
Well if it's anything like my area, there's nothing for adults with AS on the NHS :(

Although, it might be worth contacting the National Autistic Society. They're a charity that provides support for adults with AS. I attend a social support group once per month, where a group of us do some activity together, like go to the cinema, restaurant, etc. It's nice to be around your "own kind" for a while :). I believe they also have counselling services as well. http://www.autism.org.uk/

Congratulations on your diagnosis btw, welcome to the club ;)

Spikey 723
03-17-11, 12:22 PM
Congratulations on your diagnosis btw, welcome to the club ;)

Thanks.