View Full Version : CVS Pharmacy won't fill my prescription for Desoxyn

sterling818
02-22-11, 04:37 PM
I was prescribed Desoxyn and CVS pharmacy won't fill it. I live in a small town and and my other options are Wal-Mart, Kroger, Fruth and a small pharmacy at the hospital. Anyone else have trouble getting this medication filled?

CrazyLazyGal
02-22-11, 04:42 PM
They probably won't fill it because they don't have it in stock. Have you asked CVS to order it for you?

StoicNate
02-22-11, 04:44 PM
Did they say why they didn't want to fill it?

They might have to do a special order for it and you'd have to wait a few days.

sterling818
02-22-11, 04:46 PM
Yes, I dropped it off and they said they didn't stock it and would have to order it. Three hours later they called me and said they can't order this drug and I should take my prescription elsewhere.

x6eze
02-22-11, 05:18 PM
Its always going to be hard to order Desoxyn. Its generic name is Desoxyephedrine, better known as Methamphetamine. It will be hard to get it filled until this country figures out how to properly regulate drugs.

sterling818
02-22-11, 05:31 PM
I know that it's methamphetamine and it was going to have to be ordered no matter where I go, but I wasn't expecting my pharmacy to refuse to order it. I was just posting in hopes that someone else had success at obtaining it at one of the bigger chain pharmacies.

CVS had no trouble ordering ProCentra (liquid dextroamphetamine) for me, so I'm going to talk to the pharmacist after work. I live/work in a college town where prescription drug abuse is rampant, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I have been through medication hell for the last six months trying to find something that works. This is my last shot, so I hope I can find it somewhere!

x6eze
02-22-11, 05:37 PM
I live/work in a college town where prescription drug abuse is rampant, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I guess the best thing you can hope for is no-nonsense drug policy reform.

I suggest you check this youtube video out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LayaGk0TMDc

StoicNate
02-22-11, 05:47 PM
Try the other pharmacies nearby if they can order it for you.

Trooper Keith
02-23-11, 02:16 AM
Fruth is a pretty small chain and needs all the business it can get, I doubt they'd have a problem with it. Always worth a shot. What location with a Fruth are you? You're not around Nelsonville, are you?

daveddd
02-23-11, 09:19 AM
Fruth is a pretty small chain and needs all the business it can get, I doubt they'd have a problem with it. Always worth a shot. What location with a Fruth are you? You're not around Nelsonville, are you?

is that by nelsons ledges ?

Trooper Keith
02-23-11, 01:19 PM
is that by nelsons ledges ?

Nah, Nelsonville is in SE Ohio, about 20 minutes north of Athens.

daveddd
02-23-11, 01:49 PM
Nah, Nelsonville is in SE Ohio, about 20 minutes north of Athens.

cool, i used to always go visit my buddies at ohio university in athens

buddy
02-23-11, 03:04 PM
I had the same problem with finding a pharmacy that carried Dexedrine.I too live in a small town with a limited number of pharmacys.I tried all the larger chainstores & they told me at first that it would have to be ordered.Then after waiting 3-5 days,I was told to go elsewhere.I finally went to the local Mom & Pop drug store & they were happy to order it for me.

buddy

sterling818
02-23-11, 05:23 PM

Athens, so yes, close to Nelsonville. They said they couldn't get it either. All the pharmacies I called said Amerisource is their wholesaler and they can't get it from them. I was finally able to have it ordered at Wal Mart...the last place I tried, of course! :)

sterling818
02-23-11, 05:30 PM
Oh, and I must add that one of the pharmacies put their pharmacist on the phone and he proceeded to give me the third degree. He wanted to know if I had a prescription for Desoxyn (yes, of course I do), the name of my doctor, why I needed it, (wow, nosy!) and if I needed it for ADHD, had I tried something else first? (yes, about eight different things). I was torn between wanting to laugh and being ****ed.
Then he said I probably couldn't get anyone to fill it because no one wanted to "mess" with it.

I realize I'm not contributing any useful information, just venting. :)

Trooper Keith
02-23-11, 05:30 PM
. . . Did you try Kroger? Who the hell uses Amerisource? I've always worked for Kroger, and we use Cardinal. Cardinal stocks and ships cocaine, so I have to imagine they stock Desoxyn, too.

Anyways, how do you like Athens? Are you attending OU? I graduated from OU Athens in 2008.

x6eze
02-23-11, 08:38 PM
Oh, and I must add that one of the pharmacies put their pharmacist on the phone and he proceeded to give me the third degree. He wanted to know if I had a prescription for Desoxyn (yes, of course I do), the name of my doctor, why I needed it, (wow, nosy!) and if I needed it for ADHD, had I tried something else first? (yes, about eight different things). I was torn between wanting to laugh and being ****ed.
Then he said I probably couldn't get anyone to fill it because no one wanted to "mess" with it.

I realize I'm not contributing any useful information, just venting. :)

This is what I mean when I talk about drug laws. We attempt to stop people from doing drugs(by fighting a war on drugs), but in the end only make it hard for people with legitimate medical need to get the medicine they need.

sterling818
02-24-11, 04:01 PM
. . . Did you try Kroger? Who the hell uses Amerisource? I've always worked for Kroger, and we use Cardinal. Cardinal stocks and ships cocaine, so I have to imagine they stock Desoxyn, too.

Anyways, how do you like Athens? Are you attending OU? I graduated from OU Athens in 2008.

I ended up having Wal Mart order it....didn't try Kroger. I don't know what wholesaler Wal Mart uses, though.

I graduated from Ohio U (a long time ago) and have lived and worked here for 17 years. It's a nice community. :)

jpoker27
09-11-11, 05:11 PM
I hate pharmacists, i was on 80 mg of lexapro and my doc would write on the script "I KNOW THIS IS A HIGH DOSE" and still the pharmacist said "Nope, not filling it" Doesn't know one thing about me, my medical history, my condition, even if the medication is for me, but the answer is "Nope too high" So we had to figure out ways around it.

Honeybadger
09-15-11, 02:36 AM
walgreens will order it. But they needed to have my psych call and authorize it to my insurance company.

Once he did that, they argued with him a bit about the "test dose" amount, but beyond that, he wrote me a scrip for 60 or 120 pills as a month supply and neither insurance nor walgreens batted an eye. My pharmacist saw the stuff and said "yes, we have to order it, but it won't be a problem."

If they don't want your business, take your money elsewhere.

2ellee
10-12-15, 08:11 PM
I'm in Los Angeles, and getting DESOXYN filled is almost impossible ...it would be the seer grace of god that a pharmacy would fill that Rx.

I find that most pharmacies just REFUSE to order DESOXYN, as though it were illegal; even though you have a prescription. In Los Angeles, a Schedule II [CII] can only be filled by a pharmacy within 5 miles of the office of the prescribing doctor. Desoxyn is rarely prescribed [and most doctors won't prescribe it]. And, should you be lucky to get a doctor to prescribe it - good luck in finding a pharmacy that will fill it. I checked with all the pharmacies; big, small, independent, specialty, etc., and no one would fill it. It almost seems like an oath amongst the pharmacies to refuse to fill this Rx.

Most CVS won't fill this Rx, but I found one CVS that would. This CVS filled my 1st prescription for Desoxyn ...then later refused to fill my 2nd prescription. I know that there is NO SHORTAGE of this Rx, because I call the manufacturer; MYLAN Pharmaceuticals.

I find that it is the pharmacist that actually refuses to submit the order to their vendor/wholesaler.

Why that is ...I don't know? I would think they would be glad to fill this Rx because it is expensive. Is there a government agency that I can call to investigate why pharmacies refuse to fill this Rx? Please help.

namazu
10-12-15, 10:14 PM
Why that is ...I don't know? I would think they would be glad to fill this Rx because it is expensive. Is there a government agency that I can call to investigate why pharmacies refuse to fill this Rx? Please help.

The US FDA is the agency that handles reports of drug shortages (which can include lack of availability at pharmacies in a particular region). Here is their drug shortage report form. (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/DrugShortages/ucm142398.htm)

Unfortunately, pharmacies are not required to carry (or order) all prescription medications. Since Desoxyn is both infrequently prescribed and a controlled substance, chances are higher that pharmacies may not have it in stock.

I have found that having a good relationship with my pharmacy has been helpful in terms of getting prescriptions filled. Although I do not take Desoxyn, I take a fairly large dose of another stimulant. I've also traveled internationally and had to request larger quantities than normal to cover me while I was abroad. In both cases, I was able to speak with the pharmacist in advance, tell them what I needed and when I needed it, and they were able to order it.

In some states, pharmacies cannot hold onto prescriptions more than a certain length of time, so if they can't fill the script and can't be sure the meds will arrive within a few days, they have to hand the prescription back to you. I wonder if this was the case at your CVS, given that they were willing to fill it once?

I wonder if you were to go in, tell the pharmacist you are prescribed Desoxyn at [dose], which comes out to [however many pills a month], and you expect to need this amount of Desoxyn every month around [day], and could they order it for you in advance so they'll be able to fill your script? -- if that would help. It may depend on the specific person you speak to, as well as regional corporate policies.

Some people have had better luck with small pharmacies (not big chains), but my experience has been mixed, and for me, having a good relationship with the pharmacist (and filling all my scripts there consistently) has been the biggest help.

Good luck.

baical
10-18-15, 08:42 AM
I find this story similar to mines, except Dexedrine Spansule is what my prescription was. I'm on Vyvanse, was going to change to Dexedrine Spansule but I am now back on Vyvanse again. I wonder if Desoxyn would be harder to get filled? Also, regarding CVS, one location I went to, the woman (perhaps not the actual pharmacist since she didn't have the white coat on) refused to fill my prescription. I asked what the reason was when my prescription was legitimate. Her excuse was too many people are abusing pills! She had no business being in my business! The prescription was written, so fill it! Your a pharmacy! A few other places they'd have those pharmacist's assistant types who would look down on you, etc. Also, some pharmacies do require ID if it's a controlled drug, I think sometimes they want a passport too. LOL. Another "mom and pop" pharmacy I called up said something like I have to be a regular customer of theirs with a non controlled prescription to get a controlled prescription filled out! Ridiculous rules because like I said, some of these people's PERSONAL views come in to play here, not just doing their damn job by filling the prescription!

A pharmacist at Walgreens told me he hasn't seen Desoxyn in over 30 years! A few pharmacists also mentioned not having seen Dexedrine in a while (I'm assuming because Adderall and Vyvanse are "overmarketed").

You really think Mylan still makes Desoxyn? From what the CURRENT sole maker of Desoyxn told me, Desxoyn is only made by them and it is brand, no generics. The manufacturer is Recordati Rare Diseases. Maybe this is why your outdated Mylan info. is why your Desoxyn isn't getting filled? Is your prescription only for generic since Mylan used to be the one who was selling generic Desoxyn at one point if I'm not mistaken?

Lastly, if anyone here could compare Desoxyn vs. Dextroamphetamine, I'd like to know how they compare with each other. My doctor mentioned the similarities but obviously Desoxyn should be stronger per dose considering it only comes in 5 mg tablets and maximum daily dose is around 20-25 mg per day compared to Dexedrine which can go as high as 60 mg per day for some people.

I'm in Los Angeles, and getting DESOXYN filled is almost impossible ...it would be the seer grace of god that a pharmacy would fill that Rx.

I find that most pharmacies just REFUSE to order DESOXYN, as though it were illegal; even though you have a prescription. In Los Angeles, a Schedule II [CII] can only be filled by a pharmacy within 5 miles of the office of the prescribing doctor. Desoxyn is rarely prescribed [and most doctors won't prescribe it]. And, should you be lucky to get a doctor to prescribe it - good luck in finding a pharmacy that will fill it. I checked with all the pharmacies; big, small, independent, specialty, etc., and no one would fill it. It almost seems like an oath amongst the pharmacies to refuse to fill this Rx.

Most CVS won't fill this Rx, but I found one CVS that would. This CVS filled my 1st prescription for Desoxyn ...then later refused to fill my 2nd prescription. I know that there is NO SHORTAGE of this Rx, because I call the manufacturer; MYLAN Pharmaceuticals.

I find that it is the pharmacist that actually refuses to submit the order to their vendor/wholesaler.

Lunacie
10-18-15, 10:46 AM

Even with Namazu's editing I still couldn't read that large font.

If every CVS pharmacist refuses to order Desoxyn, there must be a company
policy about it. You could try contacting their corporate office and asking why
they can't help you get the medication you need.

baical
10-19-15, 12:55 AM
OK let's all call the CVS corporate office! I did notice that some pharmacy like CVS and Rite Aid do have a note on their drive thru pharmacy window regarding controlled substances requiring IDs, etc. but I never noticed this with Walgreens.

Also, since Desoxyn is "hardly prescribed" that may be the reason it's hard to find, so who's fault is it? If the FDA passed it and the DEA has its eyes all over it (according to some people here), then a legal prescription shouldn't be stigmatized. I noticed older doctors would know more about Desoxyn than the younger "Adderall and Vyvanse" doctors popping up straight out of psychiatry school.

If 2ellee has a hard time getting it in a major city like Los Angeles, I wonder if I'd get it easier since I live in the east coast and the manufacturer of Desoxyn is east coast based (NJ). Not sure if it has anything to do with regional location.

Little Missy
10-19-15, 07:30 AM
Try getting a prescription first.

Lunacie
10-19-15, 10:16 AM
OK let's all call the CVS corporate office! I did notice that some pharmacy like CVS and Rite Aid do have a note on their drive thru pharmacy window regarding controlled substances requiring IDs, etc. but I never noticed this with Walgreens.

Also, since Desoxyn is "hardly prescribed" that may be the reason it's hard to find, so who's fault is it? If the FDA passed it and the DEA has its eyes all over it (according to some people here), then a legal prescription shouldn't be stigmatized. I noticed older doctors would know more about Desoxyn than the younger "Adderall and Vyvanse" doctors popping up straight out of psychiatry school.

If 2ellee has a hard time getting it in a major city like Los Angeles, I wonder if I'd get it easier since I live in the east coast and the manufacturer of Desoxyn is east coast based (NJ). Not sure if it has anything to do with regional location.

We never had to show ID getting stimulants and anti-psychotics from our
local Walgreen's. But when my granddaughter had an abcessed tooth, we
did need to show ID to pick up an opioid pain med.

TygerSan
10-19-15, 10:55 AM
We never had to show ID getting stimulants and anti-psychotics from our
local Walgreen's. But when my granddaughter had an abcessed tooth, we
did need to show ID to pick up an opioid pain med.

Interesting. I would've expected the procedure for getting stims and opiods to be virtually identical as they're both likely schedule II (locked behind counter; need pharmacist not technician with key). I had to initial and show ID every time for my Adderall. The differences between states confuses me somewhat.

Also, looking at the original post in this thread, it's over 2 years old, so things might've changed somewhat since then. Just a heads up. Thread necromancy is fun.

Lunacie
10-19-15, 12:48 PM
Interesting. I would've expected the procedure for getting stims and opiods to be virtually identical as they're both likely schedule II (locked behind counter; need pharmacist not technician with key). I had to initial and show ID every time for my Adderall. The differences between states confuses me somewhat.

Also, looking at the original post in this thread, it's over 2 years old, so things might've changed somewhat since then. Just a heads up. Thread necromancy is fun.

Yeah, since we never had to show ID to pick up the kid's Adderall or Risperidone
I was stunned when they asked for ID before I could pick up the Norco (like Lortab).

namazu
10-19-15, 02:58 PM

(In a state that's not Kansas nor where TygerSan lives...) My spouse picks up my stimulants at CVS sometimes, no problem. We have to initial for every Rx we pick up (I think just to verify receipt) -- whether for methylphenidate or antibiotics or Vitamin D. However, I don't recall them ever asking for ID -- at least, not for the past several years.

I don't know what CVS' official policy on dispensing stimulants is, nor whether our local CVS abides strictly by it, but the local pharmacists and pharmacy techs know both of us by sight, since we've been going there monthly for the past ~5 years, and we usually walk in to the pharmacy counter rather than using the drive-through.

Now, buying pseudoephedrine, which doesn't require an actual script, is another story -- for that, there are all kinds of ID checks and forms!

aeon
10-19-15, 10:27 PM
Generally, a pharmacist, especially if they manage/own the pharmacy,
will be more likely to order a rarely-prescribed med like Desoxyn (generic) if:

You have a prescription for the med, AND
You can assure the pharmacist this will be a regular prescription, AND
You can assure the pharmacist you will continue to fill your prescription at that pharmacy.

It costs a lot of money for the pharmacy to order a 500-count bottle of something like Desoxyn (generic).
They don’t want to be stuck with 380 remaining because you filled once and then disappeared.

I asked Costco pharmacy about Desoxyn (generic). They said they would order it if I had a prescription for it
(I don’t) and I was able to pay for it.

My local CVS will not order Desoxyn (generic).
My local Walgreens will not order Desoxyn (generic).

I talked to my doctor today and we were talking about the dextroamphetamine base equivalencies
of Dexedrine, Dextrostat, Adderall, and Vyvance. (He found the chart I showed him on Wikipedia quite interesting ;)).

I mentioned Desoxyn...he didn’t know that name. Once he knew what it was chemically he found it very interesting,
but he also said good luck in filling such a prescription!

I was surprised...my doctor is usually up to date and knowing of psychostimulant meds (anyone remember
Cylert/pemoline?) but Desoxyn is well and truly an exotic beast, and was before the War on Drugs made it
the essence of pure moral and legal evil. :rolleyes:

I asked about it being prescribed for narcolepsy. He said that with the arrival of armodafinil, and earlier, modafinil,
that first-line treatment is usually a wakefulness agent combined with a psychostimulant, most often generic ritalin
or focalin.

In any event, if someone doesn’t respond to Dexedrine, they aren’t likely to respond to Desoxyn either.
It’s the same amphetamine molecule, but with a methyl group...which makes it harder to metabolize,
and is likely why dextromethamphetamine has been shown to be neurotoxic (perhaps due to radical formation?)
whereas dextroamphetamine has not been shown to be as such.

Cheers,
Ian

baical
10-21-15, 01:24 AM
OK I probably meant to say any schedule 1 drug needs to show ID and other proof. Stims are schedule 2. I did have to show ID and the insurance card at first order. Picking it up require me to show an ID as well depends who's on the counter.

baical
10-21-15, 01:49 AM
This is good advice regarding indie pharmacies. I did notice the difference talking to the actual pharmacist (the one with the white clothing on, not the regular pharmacy workers) regarding meds and they are the ones you really need to talk to to actually make an order of a hard to find prescription drug.

Aeon, I would think any pharmacy who orders a bottle of drug, if unsold, can be returned to the distributor. The generic dexedrine they ordered for me was a 90 pill bottle, my prescription is only for 60 pills.

Not sure how long ago was your experience looking for generic Desoxyn, but there aren't any generics to date, just brand. I wonder how one can find out if a generic will be made in the future. The info. has to be put out there for anyone to know, right?

Aeon, regarding your last paragraph, I'd have to disagree. Anyone who doesn't respond to Dexedrine may likely not respond to Desoxyn may be a myth when Desoxyn is like the "last resort" for some. Also, since Vyvanse is also the same molecule as Dexedrine and Desoxyn one way or another, that doesn't mean Dexedrine won't be a step up from Vyvanse, etc.

Generally, a pharmacist, especially if they manage/own the pharmacy,
will be more likely to order a rarely-prescribed med like Desoxyn (generic) if:

You have a prescription for the med, AND
You can assure the pharmacist this will be a regular prescription, AND
You can assure the pharmacist you will continue to fill your prescription at that pharmacy.

It costs a lot of money for the pharmacy to order a 500-count bottle of something like Desoxyn (generic).
They donít want to be stuck with 380 remaining because you filled once and then disappeared.

I asked Costco pharmacy about Desoxyn (generic). They said they would order it if I had a prescription for it
(I donít) and I was able to pay for it.

My local CVS will not order Desoxyn (generic).
My local Walgreens will not order Desoxyn (generic).

I talked to my doctor today and we were talking about the dextroamphetamine base equivalencies
of Dexedrine, Dextrostat, Adderall, and Vyvance. (He found the chart I showed him on Wikipedia quite interesting ;)).

I mentioned Desoxyn...he didnít know that name. Once he knew what it was chemically he found it very interesting,
but he also said good luck in filling such a prescription!

I was surprised...my doctor is usually up to date and knowing of psychostimulant meds (anyone remember
Cylert/pemoline?) but Desoxyn is well and truly an exotic beast, and was before the War on Drugs made it
the essence of pure moral and legal evil. :rolleyes:

I asked about it being prescribed for narcolepsy. He said that with the arrival of armodafinil, and earlier, modafinil,
that first-line treatment is usually a wakefulness agent combined with a psychostimulant, most often generic ritalin
or focalin.

In any event, if someone doesnít respond to Dexedrine, they arenít likely to respond to Desoxyn either.
Itís the same amphetamine molecule, but with a methyl group...which makes it harder to metabolize,
and is likely why dextromethamphetamine has been shown to be neurotoxic (perhaps due to radical formation?)
whereas dextroamphetamine has not been shown to be as such.

Cheers,
Ian

aeon
10-22-15, 10:02 AM
This is good advice regarding indie pharmacies. I did notice the difference talking to the actual pharmacist (the one with the white clothing on, not the regular pharmacy workers) regarding meds and they are the ones you really need to talk to to actually make an order of a hard to find prescription drug.

Absolutely, and it is just a good idea in general to cultivate a good relationship with the pharmacist because they will, in time, communicate the fact that you are ďOKĒ to the rest of the staff.

Aeon, I would think any pharmacy who orders a bottle of drug, if unsold, can be returned to the distributor. The generic dexedrine they ordered for me was a 90 pill bottle, my prescription is only for 60 pills.

They cannot because of issues with tampering. Or so I have been told by a couple of pharmacists in two different states. They may be able to transfer the remainder of a bottle to another location of theirs, but thatís just a guess.

As for the size of the bottle, I am not up to date on that sort of thing these days. I assume bottles of 500 because that is common for many drugs, and also because in the early 90s I saw a pharmaceutical bottle of name-brand Desoxyn, and it was a 500-count bottle.

Not sure how long ago was your experience looking for generic Desoxyn, but there aren't any generics to date, just brand. I wonder how one can find out if a generic will be made in the future. The info. has to be put out there for anyone to know, right?

I call anything that does not have an exclusivity patent and is made by a manufacturer other than the original patent-holder or licensee a generic, hence my use of the term.

A maker, may of course, create a brand which is exclusive, even if the drug and formulation are not, e.g., Evekeo. Iím not sure why companies do that, as I canít imagine they sell much with the availability of other unbranded generics.

Aeon, regarding your last paragraph, I'd have to disagree. Anyone who doesn't respond to Dexedrine may likely not respond to Desoxyn may be a myth when Desoxyn is like the "last resort" for some.

Which is why I said ďthey arenít likely.Ē I didnít rule anything out.

Also, since Vyvanse is also the same molecule as Dexedrine and Desoxyn one way or another, that doesn't mean Dexedrine won't be a step up from Vyvanse, etc.

Vyvance is the same molecule as Dexedrine (dextroamphetamine) after the lysine part is cleaved off in the gut.

That said, neither are the same molecule as Desoxyn, which is dextromethamphetamine. A different molecule, even if the binding sites and effects are very similar to dextroamphetamine. The metabolism is different, of course.

cheers,
Ian

baical
11-02-15, 04:20 AM
I believe anyone having trouble finding meds at their local pharmacy for whatever reason, should contact their state's board of pharmacy. I just read it on my Walgreens receipt.