View Full Version : organic personality disorder

excel
02-25-11, 08:53 PM
What is organic personality disorder, and what are the symptoms?

daveddd
02-25-11, 08:59 PM
personality disorder caused by a medical condition (epilepsy , brain trauma, cancer, etc)

Dizfriz
02-26-11, 10:13 AM
There may be something termed Organic Personality Syndrome which seems to be a personality change stemming from brain dysfunction. It does not seem to be used much however and is not in the DSM-IV.

Here is some information from Cigna
http://www.cigna.com/healthinfo/nord782.html

Organic personality syndrome or organic mental syndrome is a mental disorder characterized by a short-term or long-term personality disturbance largely due to brain dysfunction. The ability to reason, remember, imagine, and learn may not be affected, but the individual's judgment may be so poor that continual supervision may be necessary. Left unattended, he or she may behave in ways that could cause difficult or dangerous problems.

Dizfriz

Dizfriz
02-26-11, 10:14 AM
There may be something termed Organic Personality Syndrome which seems to be a personality change stemming from brain dysfunction. It does not seem to be used much however and is not in the DSM-IV.

Organic personality syndrome or organic mental syndrome is a mental disorder characterized by a short-term or long-term personality disturbance largely due to brain dysfunction. The ability to reason, remember, imagine, and learn may not be affected, but the individual's judgment may be so poor that continual supervision may be necessary. Left unattended, he or she may behave in ways that could cause difficult or dangerous problems.

Dizfriz

excel
03-02-11, 11:51 AM

Dizfriz
I think they changed it from disorder to syndrome

excel
03-08-11, 08:49 PM
I was diagnosed as having organic personality disorder

daveddd
03-08-11, 11:48 PM
I was diagnosed as having organic personality disorder

do you have a medical issue that causes it?

or is it something different

excel
03-09-11, 09:41 AM
do you have a medical issue that causes it?

or is it something different
Brain damage when I was born

excel
03-18-11, 07:26 PM
I can't find anything that goes into detail on arganic personality disorder

excel
03-23-11, 07:09 PM
I keep looking but I can't find much on it

dsvlil1
03-24-11, 06:55 AM
I doubt that organic personality disorder is still a valid term in a day and age where they have specific names for various mental syndromes and clusters of symptoms that are organic in origin.
If you have an acquired brain injury that has had an effect on your personality then that would be considered organic in origin, but perhaps the terminology used to explain it is out of date.

It's probably more important to know what areas of your brain were affected and what areas of function those parts of the brain are typically known to perform.

excel
03-24-11, 11:47 AM
I doubt that organic personality disorder is still a valid term in a day and age where they have specific names for various mental syndromes and clusters of symptoms that are organic in origin.
If you have an acquired brain injury that has had an effect on your personality then that would be considered organic in origin, but perhaps the terminology used to explain it is out of date.

It's probably more important to know what areas of your brain were affected and what areas of function those parts of the brain are typically known to perform.
all I know is that they changed it from disorder to syndrome

excel
03-26-11, 07:59 PM
Has anyone else been diagnosed with this disorder

dsvlil1
03-26-11, 10:04 PM
Nope, but I lived with the threat of developing one due to intractable temporal lobe epilepsy.

There are well documented notes from Vincent Van Gogh's physician that indicate he suffered from temporal lobe epilepsy. His auditory halucinations and other psychiatric issues are thought to be attributed to the brain damage suffered as a result of his seizures.

sighduck
03-27-11, 12:44 AM
lol. when i read the term "organic personality disorder" all i could think of was those people who are obsessed with keeping everything organic...

excel
03-27-11, 02:06 PM
It bothers me that I can't find much information in this

daveddd
03-27-11, 02:17 PM
its because its a blanket term for all personality changes caused by a medical condition

excel
03-27-11, 02:19 PM
its because its a blanket term for all personality changes caused by a medical condition
Don't understand that

daveddd
03-27-11, 02:22 PM
it doesnt have any specific symptoms , it s just a term used when a medical condition causes mental illness symptoms

i see you keep trying to find stuff on it, and im pretty good at digging stuff up, so i researched it for a little while and this is the conclusion i came to

excel
03-28-11, 02:48 PM
I don't think I have it

JOHNCG
04-02-11, 06:46 AM
I don't think I have it

This is a different matter altogether. I would -if I could/knew how- post it as a new thread, but I can't work out how to do that??!!

Anyway... What I am wondering is: does anyone have any (scientific only, please) information on EXACTLY WHY it is that many individuals with adult-persistent ADHD eventually develop Antisocial Personality. How, does it happen?? That's what I am interested in knowing!! I cannot seem to locate the current theories on the internet?? Does anyone know anything, for ex, about, say, the neuroscience associated with the high risk for Antisocial Personality Disorder that is associated with ADHD in adults

I would be grateful if anyone can help with this query.

daveddd
04-02-11, 10:57 AM
johnc-started new thread

excel
04-02-11, 01:42 PM
This is a different matter altogether. I would -if I could/knew how- post it as a new thread, but I can't work out how to do that??!!

Anyway... What I am wondering is: does anyone have any (scientific only, please) information on EXACTLY WHY it is that many individuals with adult-persistent ADHD eventually develop Antisocial Personality. How, does it happen?? That's what I am interested in knowing!! I cannot seem to locate the current theories on the internet?? Does anyone know anything, for ex, about, say, the neuroscience associated with the high risk for Antisocial Personality Disorder that is associated with ADHD in adults

I would be grateful if anyone can help with this query.
Somebody started a thread with links for you.

excel
04-11-11, 12:54 PM
Could organic personality disorder be what they now call borderline personality disorder.

JOHNCG
04-11-11, 08:29 PM
No, Organic Personality disorder is not a synonym for Borderline Personality Disorder.

JOHNCG
04-12-11, 02:40 AM
Could organic personality disorder be what they now call borderline personality disorder.

In psychiatry the term "organic" tends to mean "physical". For example, organic brain disorders are disorders caused by PHYSICAL damage to, or the PHYSICAL deterioration of, brain tissue. Or, to give another example; an "organic psychosis" could be defined as a serious psychiatric condition that is caused by (physical) damage to the brain as a result of alcoholism, poisoning, bacterial infection, etc .

Organic Personality Disorder is an out-dated term from DSM III. It refers to personality changes that are caused by a medical condition

JOHNCG
04-12-11, 03:43 AM
Here is how you could acquire an "organic personality disorder".

If someone smashed a hammer into your forehead and fractured the skull bone there, the brain tissue that lies behind your forehead would also be traumatised (i.e.; injured, wounded, damaged, etc). This area of the brain is called the orbitofrontal cortex. When the orbitofrontal cortex is injured like this , the result can often be that a persons's behaviour and personality change quite dramatically. In particular, damage (like this example of a hammer blow) to the orbitofrontal cortex can cause a person to start behaving very impulsively, and to develop (amongst other things) antisocial personality traits, where neither of these were part of their behaviour or personality before.

In the old days (1960s) these changes would be diagnosed as an "organic personality disorder" because they were caused by clear damage/injury to the brain (caused by a hammer in this example).

But remember, the term: "organic personality disorder", is well out of date now, and really, it isn't used in psychiatry anymore.

Hope this is of some help for you??

excel
04-12-11, 08:35 AM
I was diagnosed in the 90 with organic personality disorder.

JOHNCG
04-13-11, 07:31 AM
Whoever gave you that diagnosis was using out -of-date terminology.

Sandy4957
04-13-11, 10:21 AM
Sarey was saying that someone diagnosed her with this. I thought about her recently when I came across the diagnoses being discussed in something that I was reading. I can't recall where I saw it (it was some sort of court opinion or news story, not on here). Seems like maybe this is making a resurgence for some reason.

sarek
04-14-11, 08:09 AM
Sarey is from the UK. Its most likely a terminology thing.

excel
02-22-13, 03:18 PM
Does anyone else on here have it

excel
11-09-13, 08:49 PM
I guess it can go away