View Full Version : Anyone else has this strange thing?

Nitz
02-26-11, 05:15 PM
Do you have a very strange thinking style?

While facing the fact most people don't think with pictures popping in their mind and word/sounds/both(DON'T FORGET TO TAKE YOUR MEDS, KIDS! :o) associated with them....So yes, I guess I'm basically insane. XD

Do you have this thing or something crazy enough to be similar to it? :confused:

hypergirl96
02-26-11, 05:20 PM
i think all different ways. words, pictures, sounds, feelings, music, plays, like theres a movies or five goin on in the backround....it all depends. lol :D

but since i think all these ways, it makes me a pretty good writer (not trying to brag here or anything. :))

but i have heard somewhere that ur thinking style is very common in people with dyslexia. if im wrong, dyslexic peeps, please clarify. lol :D

Nitz
02-26-11, 06:00 PM
i think all different ways. words, pictures, sounds, feelings, music, plays, like theres a movies or five goin on in the backround....it all depends. lol :D

but since i think all these ways, it makes me a pretty good writer (not trying to brag here or anything. :))

but i have heard somewhere that ur thinking style is very common in people with dyslexia. if im wrong, dyslexic peeps, please clarify. lol :D

I'm dyslexic now? O_O
LOL, just kidding. I have another learning disability to make sure I don't have before wondering if I'm dyslexic (AND I started reading short words at age 3.5 and books at age 4... :X).
I do too, but mostly with random pictures associated with the subject and sometimes words. Maybe that's why I need sa verbal instead of written test.

FaithofLeap
02-26-11, 06:51 PM
I think in pictures. If I vision text in my head (which is hard), it usually looks like a courier font on white paper or a magazine headline. Certain smells and sounds set off picture memories that can be quite distracting. They make good primers for daydreams.

I have no imagination for places I never have been. When I was younger, I never could imagine myself on an airplane until I actually got on one, even though I have seen pictures and movies of them.

I also have a form of Dyslexia. Words wiggle around and fade in and out when I read. They also move around to different spots sometimes. I can see a new word on one page and totally not recognize it on the next but it is happening less than it used to.

Nitz
02-27-11, 09:50 AM
I think in pictures. If I vision text in my head (which is hard), it usually looks like a courier font on white paper or a magazine headline. Certain smells and sounds set off picture memories that can be quite distracting. They make good primers for daydreams.

I have no imagination for places I never have been. When I was younger, I never could imagine myself on an airplane until I actually got on one, even though I have seen pictures and movies of them.

I also have a form of Dyslexia. Words wiggle around and fade in and out when I read. They also move around to different spots sometimes. I can see a new word on one page and totally not recognize it on the next but it is happening less than it used to.

Interesting. Although I don't exclusively and/or independantely(although more independantely than sounds or words) think in picutres, I can't create a picture in my mind of a place I've never seen, a picture associated with the category or pictures associated with categories who are extremely associated with the subject appears immediately and is unremoveable unless I stopped thinking about the category(Severe ADHD, happens fast. :p). Do you also have this problem?

I have your reading problems when it comes to lines and paragraphs. Unless I literally mark the lines/paragraphs I already read, either virtually or using my imagination(unaffective, takes too much mental resources).

Do you know if the picture thing is associated with your ADD, Dyslexia, or anything else you have?

FaithofLeap
02-27-11, 01:38 PM
Interesting. Although I don't exclusively and/or independantely(although more independantely than sounds or words) think in picutres, I can't create a picture in my mind of a place I've never seen, a picture associated with the category or pictures associated with categories who are extremely associated with the subject appears immediately and is unremoveable unless I stopped thinking about the category(Severe ADHD, happens fast. :p). Do you also have this problem?

I have your reading problems when it comes to lines and paragraphs. Unless I literally mark the lines/paragraphs I already read, either virtually or using my imagination(unaffective, takes too much mental resources).

Do you know if the picture thing is associated with your ADD, Dyslexia, or anything else you have?

My P-Doc says that the visual thinking is a trait of Aspergers. The visual thinking is kind of like an image browser on steroids. Sometimes I can stop the "browsing" but other times one images can lead me off track. It's kind of like being on WikiPedia and being drawn from one article to the next. Next thing you know is that you are so far away from the main article that you can't remember what it was.

As for the dyslexia, I find it easier to read under a bright light while wearing sun glasses. It stops the fading and wiggling of the words.

hypergirl96
02-27-11, 02:06 PM
i never think in text. its always verbal words and pictures and emotions. as i said before, more like a movie. lols :D

and faith of leap, that doesnt sound like dyslexia, its sounds like Irlen Syndrome. here's a link to their site: http://irlen.com/index.php

it is often confused for dyslexia. but its different.

FaithofLeap
02-27-11, 02:15 PM
i never think in text. its always verbal words and pictures and emotions. as i said before, more like a movie. lols :D

and faith of leap, that doesnt sound like dyslexia, its sounds like Irlen Syndrome. here's a link to their site: http://irlen.com/index.php

it is often confused for dyslexia. but its different.

Thank you so much! :) I have found so little information about this problem. My P-Doc said that the whole imagery process has been removed from the "books" so he can't help me with it. I am going to check this out intensely. *HUGS*

hypergirl96
02-27-11, 02:16 PM
Thank you so much! :) I have found so little information about this problem. My P-Doc said that the whole imagery process has been removed from the "books" so he can't help me with it. I am going to check this out intensely. *HUGS*

no prob! glad i could help! :D

good luck! :D

Kokopelli
02-27-11, 04:51 PM
Yes yes yes. My brain is just like a hamster running on it's wheel haha

vjkurvy
03-01-11, 11:58 AM
I have a wierd thing, I do not tell people about also. (kind of like this) When I am mixing music most people listen to both the songs and crossfade between one to the other.... I always joke with people that I "see the music." But I often I will daydream (In the middle off the mix) and I see little dots that represent the snare drum.... I just slow or speed up the song and match those little dots up... The songs always flow well... I know that is wierd but I was relieved to see this post because I thought that was something wierd...

stef
03-01-11, 12:25 PM
I have a wierd thing, I do not tell people about also. (kind of like this) When I am mixing music most people listen to both the songs and crossfade between one to the other.... I always joke with people that I "see the music." But I often I will daydream (In the middle off the mix) and I see little dots that represent the snare drum.... I just slow or speed up the song and match those little dots up... The songs always flow well... I know that is wierd but I was relieved to see this post because I thought that was something wierd...

Check out syntesthesia !

nuts not much time to reply to this great thread. I have TONS of images all over and I think in actually picturing the words (even the font ie if I'm thinking of an email to someone) when I'm thinking of something I want to write.

Werl
03-01-11, 08:34 PM
My mind thinks in a way that looks like a code file, it works in a similar way too. To most people my way of thinking makes no sense but un it through a compiler it makes complete sense. Also images, smells, and sounds are big parts of my mind.

IdentityUnknown
03-11-11, 01:22 PM
Funny post..
I rarely have 'pictures' in my mind.
I do feel like i hear myself talking when i think, sometimes i even even 'speak' in english, while that isn't my native language.
As a child i had times that i feared other people hearing it :D

Spaced_In
04-11-11, 04:27 AM
i think in words, images, sounds, memories and sometimes smell oh and text to. I remember my mum once told me that as a kid she only ever thought in images i was just like whoa how does that work i cant imagine only being able to think in images, i think in mainly both words and images but not just one. Hey just a question for those who think only in images do you guys have an internal dialogue?