View Full Version : Focalin IR only last 45 minutes?

camci
02-26-11, 07:55 PM
I told my doctor I have trouble with focusing and motivation and also sleeping too much during the day, so he told me to try out Focalin 20 mg IR.

I got the generic brand, and I've so far been taking 20mg every morning for a week now. After having some intense euphoria the first three days that scared me into not taking it anymore (I was literally "higher" than cloud 9) and the comedown making me almost cry, I finally became tolerant and no longer comedown that hard or have intense euphoria.

I do however have an over-all "feel good about everything" mood and strong motivation and focus. My partner says I talk more when I'm on it, but the thing is it only lasts 45 minutes, then the "drive" sort of goes away and I just feel like the medicine turned into an "energy drink" feeling and i'm shakey and jittery and irritable, no more "motivation" just a mild caffeine comedown feeling.

Does the brand IR focalin last longer? Is the "feel good about everything" feeling/motivation just the last of the euphoria that i'm becoming tolerant too and the "energy drink" the 'real' effect of the medicine? Because if so, it gives me no focus at all, it sucks and it's the reason I don't drink energy drinks.

StoicNate
02-27-11, 05:26 PM
Sounds like your dose is too high.
Try a lower dose. Split the pill in half or even in thirds to see if the side effects subside.

Don't chase the euphoria.

camci
02-27-11, 07:29 PM
Ok, so it was still making me high a little? Well that would explain why the "feel good/content" feeling only lasts 45 minutes, but it also seems like my motivation and drive goes along with it.

I decided to go ahead and take half today, 10mg, so far it's been an hour and I finally noticed it slowly kicking in a little, nothing compared to the sudden effects of the 20mg though. I'll give an update later on for anyone interested.

Should i go ahead and take the other 10mg in 4-5 hours so i'll still be having the prescribed 20mg?

ginniebean
02-27-11, 07:33 PM
it's too early to tell on a med trial but it does sound like your dose was too high. It's always good to start at a very low dose and then titrate up, starting at too high a dose can be far too confusing.

StoicNate
02-27-11, 08:28 PM
Should i go ahead and take the other 10mg in 4-5 hours so i'll still be having the prescribed 20mg?

You can do that. But remember that Focalin is 2-3x stronger than Ritalin, so if we convert this you're taking about 40-50mg of Ritalin, which is still a high dose to be started on.

Do you feel any anxiety with the Focalin?

The usual starting dose of Focalin is 2.5mg or 5mg.

camci
02-27-11, 09:07 PM
It's been about 2 1/2 hours since I took the 10mg dose, and I think it's about gone now.

The effects kicked in after an hour, and I had the same "feel good/motivation" buzz for 15-20 minutes, it wasn't nearly as strong as with the 20mg dose. After that buzz wore off, the effects I felt afterwards was more of a weaker energy buzz than the 20mg. I was a little jittery, and I was in the middle of doing homework that I was in a hurry to finish, so I felt like the medicine gave my anxiety a good boost and almost distracted me from focusing too well. It tapered off within the hour, and I now no longer feel any effects.

I didn't feel like this dose gave me any benefits. The motivation buzz (whether i'm supposed to feel it or not) was pointlessly short, and the energy buzz felt like no more than how i'd feel with a caffeine pill. Jittery, anxious, and decreasing my studying performace. I would have studied BETTER without these effects.

Should I continue taking 10mg or keep taking my prescribed 20mg starting tomorrow and report these experiences on my next dr appt?

StoicNate
02-27-11, 09:38 PM
I think that's still a high dose if you feel that way.
Usually ADHD medication for most people make them feel calmer on the right dose.

I think you should try to divide your dose to be smaller than 10mg and see if that helps any.

I don't know what your doctor was thinking in prescribing such a high dose to start with. It will only give more side effects than benefits.

camci
02-27-11, 11:32 PM
I definitely felt calm for the first 45 minutes on 20mg, like I said it wasn't a "high" it was more of a highly content/motivated/great day kinda feeling, nothing unnatural because I've felt it a few times in my life when I've had a really good day.
I know what the euphoria feels like, me and my partner both noticed a difference when I became tolerant to it. I was sitting with my eyes close, smiling, swaying back and forth, telling him how lovely everything is and telling him i'd rather not talk so I could enjoy it. Whenever it was over I became more depressed then I ever had been in my life and it lasted 7 hours. That almost made me quit altogether.

I may be wrong and the "buzz" I get now is just the last of the euphoria, but if that's true then what exactly am I SUPPOSED to feel?

StoicNate
02-28-11, 06:28 PM
I definitely felt calm for the first 45 minutes on 20mg, like I said it wasn't a "high" it was more of a highly content/motivated/great day kinda feeling, nothing unnatural because I've felt it a few times in my life when I've had a really good day.
I know what the euphoria feels like, me and my partner both noticed a difference when I became tolerant to it. I was sitting with my eyes close, smiling, swaying back and forth, telling him how lovely everything is and telling him i'd rather not talk so I could enjoy it. Whenever it was over I became more depressed then I ever had been in my life and it lasted 7 hours. That almost made me quit altogether.

I may be wrong and the "buzz" I get now is just the last of the euphoria, but if that's true then what exactly am I SUPPOSED to feel?

At the right dose of any ADHD medication you should feel: focused, calm, and motivated to do daily things.

Euphoria lasts only the first few days of taking ADHD meds and then wears off (it's normal).

How long does the generic Focalin last now for you? (The positive effects)
Did the anxiety die down?

camci
02-28-11, 10:57 PM
The positive effects like I said are the first 45 minutes-1 hour when it kicks in, that glowing content, but today I noticed something different because I wasn't sitting around the house, I was driving around place to place doing errands and all the stimulation caused my anxiety to shoot through the roof and there was no "glow" just intense jitteryness and my muscles were really uncomfortable, like I took way too much caffeine and my hands were shaking.

So yea, I'm gonna guess I'm on way too much of a high dose, and the 10mg did the same thing just not as intense, but still uncomfortable.
I have a dr. appt in 3 days, so i'll ask him to lower the dose and possibly start me on name brand, or even a different med. because this medicine is supposed to help me in those stimulating times, not intensify it.

StoicNate
02-28-11, 11:31 PM
Yeah, those side effects really sound like it's still too high of a dose for your body. (Seems to be more like an overdose almost)
Good idea to tell your doctor everything you wrote here.

I usually start medications with the lowest possible dose, so that I don't get those kind of side effects and my body adjusts to it. For Focalin it's the 2.5mg tablet. For Ritalin, Adderall, and Dexedrine it's the 5mg tablet.

I really hope everything gets better for you.

secretADDmirer
03-04-11, 08:28 AM
I was just reading through the thread and was wondering how your doctor's appointment went. Also, if your doctor still has you on Focalin IR, it is meant to be taken twice a day at least 4 hours apart for a daily max dose of 20 mg (according to physician prescribing information, anyway).

Mesaana
03-04-11, 12:15 PM
wow- the max daily dose is 20 mg?? after 8 years of trying over 10 drugs, i am now on focalin IR name brand. at a dose of 10mg 2 tabs 3 x day... for a total of 60mg. am i really on three times the max dosage?? focalin does seem to work for me, i never really felt euphoria on it, and it keeps me calm and focused. i have a psychiatrist apt. coming up, what should i discuss with her? is my dosage dangerous????

Mister Marcinko
03-04-11, 07:45 PM
Mesanna, I wouldn't necessarily think that's an atypical dose for someone with a tolerance to meds. I just got prescribed focalin ir 10mg 2x daily and I don't feel the euphoria either. The feeling I get if anything is maybe something in the background if at all and a lil bit better at concentrating. I've tried concerta(complete crap), adderall xr and ir couldn't tell I was taking anything just like vyvanse. Before I was diagnosed I was prescribed generic Ritalin 5mg and it made me really euphoric everytime I took it, but the doc wouldn't prescribe it again, but nothing has felt like that again. My last option my next doc appointment is trying Ritalin ir again to see if I can actually tell it's working.

camci
03-04-11, 11:25 PM
Thanks for your interest :) My doctor told me the "glow" was most likely mild euphoria and the reason the positive effects lasted an hour was because i'm probably sensitive to stimulants, which makes sense since i'm sensitive to caffeine.
He put me on Adderall XR 20mg, just started today, hard to really notice anything but sometimes I do feel like "something" is going on, i'll just have to be patient and keep taking it. Definitely a relief from the UP and DOWN though.

camci
03-05-11, 07:06 PM
2nd day of Adderall, been on it for a couple hours now, much MUCH better than Focalin IR, it kicked in much more smoothly so it feels like a more natural stimulated state instead of an artificial energy drink surge, which makes me not worried about the comedown at all.
Only negative side effect SO FAR is my muscles feel a little uncomfortable, I don't really know how to explain it, it's almost like that feeling when your foot falls asleep and you start to move it.

Other than that, I feel very calm yet stimulated in a more natural sense, I don't feel drugged out and shaking and giving everyone a hug. Much better :) Will keep updating if anyone is still reading this.

StoicNate
03-05-11, 11:43 PM
2nd day of Adderall, been on it for a couple hours now, much MUCH better than Focalin IR, it kicked in much more smoothly so it feels like a more natural stimulated state instead of an artificial energy drink surge, which makes me not worried about the comedown at all.
Only negative side effect SO FAR is my muscles feel a little uncomfortable, I don't really know how to explain it, it's almost like that feeling when your foot falls asleep and you start to move it.

Other than that, I feel very calm yet stimulated in a more natural sense, I don't feel drugged out and shaking and giving everyone a hug. Much better :) Will keep updating if anyone is still reading this.

That's awesome to hear!

Jester
03-18-11, 11:43 PM

Oh ohh histamines :/ You can take an anti-histamine medication like reactine or benadril and see if that goes away but I don't think you can use on the long term, just ask your doctor

ccrose
03-22-11, 12:28 PM
I take Benadryl almost every night (even before taking ADD meds), and my doctor said it's perfectly fine long term. It is only a problem if you can't take it in the first place. I work at a vet clinic and we also recommend it long term for many of the allergy patients. Sometimes they have to be taken off and put on something else if they develop certain heart conditions (usually happens w/old dogs whether they're on meds or not).

ben ploni
03-28-11, 11:38 AM
my goodness, this is like a dream come true- i'm in my mid thirties and i have just been diagnosed with a.d.(h)d. i have had all of the model sympstoms of a.d.d my whole life. my parents (may they be blessed) contributed my symptoms to anxiety. i have been taking 30-40 mg of paxil for the past 10 years. for the anxiety part- i'm thankful to the makers of paxil, because it did give me tremoundous relief. but back to my a.d.d...finally i have been put on focalin (in addtion to the paxi) to see if this would improve my symptoms. started with 10 mg x 2 a day. it worked exactly as you have described, a 45 minute high and then...nothing. typical to a.d.d i decided on my own to see what happens if i take 10mg 3 x daily...so basically it went well and i had 3, 45 minute highs a day. i was really getting so much done. great, right? well here is what happened. i increased it to 10mg 4 x daily (once in a while 10mg 5x daily) figuring, let me get the most out of this. it did work but after 2 days
i noticed an increase in my anxiety not like my old anxiety, but just very tight and kind of "frozen". in that anxiety state i could not do a thing, it was extemely fustrating to say the least. I spoke to my physt. and he suggested i try the slow release 20 mg 1 x day focalin. he said i may increase it to 1 40mg slow release. what happened? i got the intitial
45 minute high and then......nothing. i grew even more fustrated. i know i know there a lot of other types of a.d.d. medication that may work for me, but typical of a.d.d i hate waiting..testing...expermenting....
by the way the rest of the day i did feel nervous and anxious so i'm tossing this idea of the slow release focalin-i don't think it make a diffrence to my body if i take slow release or not, it'll give me the same
result i.e. the 45 minute high. i have an appt with my phyt. coming up soon. but let me know what you think-i would live to talk with you