View Full Version : Constantly Worrying (Anxiety AND OCD)

ScaredFemale80
08-16-04, 07:56 PM
One of the things that brings on my anxiety and panic attacks is worrying too much about things. Stupid little things that the average person would'nt worry about. Its like I worry about one thing, and worry about what would happen if that thing happened, and if that thing happened what would happen. Its a never ending spiral. I've tried books, tried talking to people. I think I finally need to see a psycologist. I need help. I don't want to go on meds, but I think it is finally time. I can't live like this forever. I'm only 23. My dad suffers from the same thing, I don't know if it is hereditery (sp?) or not. And it all comes down to being naseaus. I'm always afraid i'm going to throw up, even though I don't.

Hope
08-16-04, 08:15 PM
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I also constantly worry so I can understand. For me, worrying doesn't bring on nausea but it brings on other symptoms. Anyway, good luck in finding help.

Hope

ScaredFemale80
08-16-04, 09:41 PM
I think it is finally time to get some help. I worry about being worried.

Hope
08-16-04, 10:19 PM
You know what? That's half the battle. By the way, I worry about being worried too. I guess that goes along with the territory. Just you venting and releasing it here is a healthy sign. Please keep us posted. We care!

I think it is finally time to get some help. I worry about being worried.

irish guy
08-16-04, 10:21 PM
This is me also....you're not alone

ScaredFemale80
08-17-04, 08:21 AM
I'm glad I finally have a place to vent, where people understand.

paulbf
08-17-04, 12:27 PM
I don't have panic attacks but I do have an underlying worry/nervousness that permeates my existence in a subtle way. My shrink had me do some deep breathing exercises which really work on that. I'm tellin ya it really works, instantly. The physical calming of the breathing meditation is instantly effective, then take that time to do some cognitive analysis of the fear. Maybe just stopping to feel the anxiety specifically at first then think about what exactly it is, then about what you can do about it and if you can't do anything, then it's a useless anxiety, if you can do something then direct the nervous energy into positive action or at least during the mini-meditation, visualize taking positive action. It's real simple and you can start with just a moment's worth and still get some benefit.

ScaredFemale80
08-19-04, 09:31 PM
It seems like I have tried everything. I've read books, looked online for hours on this topic, tried breathing exercises. None of it is working. I never had anyone to talk to about these things. They would always tell me i'm doing it to myself and to just stop. I can't stop, and they don't realize that. Everyone is telling me not to take medication because of the bad things. They don't realize how bad things are. Im different from day to day though. I'll have a good day and then BAM the next day is full of anxiety. I always have thoughts in the back of my head. The what if's and the worrying. What are your opinions on medication. Should I go talk to someone and see if that helps before I start medication. I know some of you have been through this.

paulbf
08-20-04, 02:16 AM
Yeah, you need help, a doc can help, it's too much to handle alone. My guess is most docs wil advise meds but talk to them & see what can be done.

Energizer_Bunny
08-27-04, 10:13 PM
Hi Scared,

From what you are describing about worrying all the time, may be OCD. Constant worrying is one of the symptoms of those that have OCD.

I have posted a link below for you to take a look at as well as a simple definiton.

http://www.ocfoundation.org/

<CENTER>What Is Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder?

</CENTER>

Worries, doubts, superstitious beliefs all are common in everyday life. However, when they become so excessive such as hours of hand washing or make no sense at all such as driving around and around the block to check that an accident didn't occur then a diagnosis of OCD is made. In OCD, it is as though the brain gets stuck on a particular thought or urge and just can't let go. People with OCD often say the symptoms feel like a case of mental hiccups that won't go away. OCD is a medical brain disorder that causes problems in information processing. It is not your fault or the result of a "weak" or unstable personality.

<CENTER> </CENTER>

QueensU_girl
01-12-06, 10:02 PM
In the DSM-IV, the diagnosis of OCD is (a) an "Obsession" (the thought) _and_ (b) the "Compulsion" (the behaviour).

Being restrained from being able to complete the Compulsive behaviour causes the person "great distress".

There is no "obsessive behaviour" being described here. (eg checking the stove 23x before being able to leave home; compulsive handwashing.)

Are you a trauma survivor? The physicalness of your symptoms (GI symptoms) sounds like someone who has gone thru serious stress, OR is living under severe stress at home/work.

The GI tract is full of nerve endings that respond to stress hormones -- so when people talk of nausea or stomach pains with their anxiety, this is a pretty serious stress response... even if you do not know the stimuli. The pain is real.

I'd suggest that you keep seeing a doctor or other supportive people.

Emma

Sun2707
01-13-06, 12:04 PM
I SURE understand by what your going threw SF80! Anxiety disorder is VERY HARD to deal with, it can create obsessive thinking. You can have scary and unrealistic thoughts. A simple little problem can take huge proportion in you mind. Your thoughts pattern seem to be out of your control, you want to stop it but you can, anxiety got the power of your mind.

I used to have really bad anxiety and obsessive thinking. It's a miracle that I was able to have theses disorders under control. I don't know how it happen but at one time I felt "normal", I felt free of theses dark and scary thoughts. I try to thank God every days because it's simply a miracle that I now feel normal. Thinking back at that anxious time make me scare. I'm traumatize by it. One of my worst fear is to deal with that again. It's amazing and scary when I think at how crazy I was and how normal I am now.

Well medications, therapy and time had help a lot. I also had try very hard to help myself. It seem that once I was put on the right medication (Seroquel 25mg/day) I was able to help myself, I don't know if I would had been able to do so without the help of med?

I know few tricks that used to help me decrease my anxiety attack and I still use them when I feel anxious:
-Watching funny movies, comedies.
-Sleeping. A lot of sleep seem to decrease my anxiety. -Meditation.
-Prayer.
-Screaming inside your head seem to help. I used to scream to my anxiety like it was a bad force or demons that was inside of me. I scream to it to go aways and told my "demons", "I have the power, you don't! I am in control now, you don't have any power over me! GO AWAYS, GO AWAYS!!! And I keep screaming in my head until it feel like my demons were leaving my body. It's can be very draining to scream inside your head but oddly it work. Screaming for real do the same thing but if you don't want to scare anyone, screaming inside your head is a better solution!lol:) I don't know how it work but it do!:) Having anxiety attack seem similar to someone who is possess. By screaming we are doing a form of exorcist. We try to exorcise demons that are inside of us, demons from our own creation.
-Reading.
-Drawing.
-Writting.
-Playing piano.
-Keeping a journal.
-Poetry.

This is only a few techniques that may work and decrease your anxiety! I know it do had help me in the past and it still do. Hopefully theses tricks could help some of you also!

I know it's hard to deal with anxiety/panic attacks, I'm so grateful to have it under control. Medication was a great help. Talk to your doctor or psychiatrist about it and therapy is a great tool also! I wish all of you good luck with your anxiety, OCD and any other disorders you may have!
Take care!
Peace Sun:)

POOHBEAR
08-22-08, 04:04 PM
It sounds to me that u may be suffering from GAD, which is general anxiety disorder. I have always been a chronic worry wart. A lot of the symptoms you described sounds just like me! I finally seen a doctor and yes he did put me on meds but my life is sooo much better. I can finally enjoy going somewhere and not worry about all of the WHAT IFs!

D.B. Cooper
08-22-08, 05:52 PM
You just described the DSM entry on GAD (generalized anxiety disorder). Start taking an SSRI and seeing a psychologist. While i dont really wish anyone to go through the SSRI/etc merry-go-round but unless you can properly prove you have something more debilitating like a panic disorder you're stuck without benzos.

Oh yeah and if they try to give you seroquel fire them right then.

free_hugs
08-23-08, 10:26 PM
One of the things that brings on my anxiety and panic attacks is worrying too much about things. Stupid little things that the average person would'nt worry about. Its like I worry about one thing, and worry about what would happen if that thing happened, and if that thing happened what would happen. Its a never ending spiral. I've tried books, tried talking to people. I think I finally need to see a psycologist. I need help. I don't want to go on meds, but I think it is finally time. I can't live like this forever. I'm only 23. My dad suffers from the same thing, I don't know if it is hereditery (sp?) or not. And it all comes down to being naseaus. I'm always afraid i'm going to throw up, even though I don't.
SAME HERE. I"m only 23 as well and I have apparently gotten a lot of this from my biological father. My friends can't generally relate..and I also feel like this is ruining the quality of my life and I just can't deal with it anymore.

chowmix
08-24-08, 12:15 AM
I am diagnosed OCD and GAD and was a constant worrier.

I have had success with an SSRI. It stopped my mind from 'looping' and nearly completely eliminated anxiety.

More importantly, I joined a weekly OCD support group run by a cognitive behaviorist. They are helping me sort through my OCD tics and provide support as well as controlled 'exposures' in group to work on specific issues.

After all of this, my behaviorist referred me back to my pDoc and was clinically diagnosed as ADHD and am now dealing with that.

aybagum
08-24-08, 02:38 PM
Its all piecing together now, maybe i have ocd ASWELL AS ADHD ?? Im going through a terrible time at the moment everthing stated above is what has been happening to me all my life, im speechless,, dont laugh but i think i also have it with smells to.. im hypersensitive to smells, i can smell a tramp a mile off:eek::mad: . The smell of body odour or urine turns my stomach and i have to say something, while being annoyed and angry. I wont tell the stranger but ill make it obvios that i can smell them.. It drives everyone i know crazy and have lost friends from it also.. my teenage son is getting a comp[lex:( ADVICE PLEASE

aybagum
08-24-08, 02:52 PM
nOW IM WORRYING AND ANALYSING HOW I COME ACROSS IN THIS POST AND WETHER OR NOT I SHOULD OF PUT THE SMILY FACES. THIS IS CONSTANT IN EVERYTHING I DO.. I EVEN WORRY FOR OTHER PEOPLE