View Full Version : Trying to sleep well

den4
03-01-11, 09:16 PM
Before I even took Adderall, I had a hard time falling asleep. Since I was really young i was a night owl.

I have tried Lunesta. Which worked a couple times but I don't want to take it again because the metalic taste in my mouth is just bad. So ruled that one out.

Was given one called telezapam or something and it did absolutely nothing. Plus I read the scary side effects. But still did nothing for me anyway.

Benadryl, super effective works well but you wake up the next morning feeling groggy or like you have a hangover. Horrible!

Any other effective sleep medications? any over the counter that dont make you feel like benadryl?

Turbochica
03-01-11, 09:32 PM
My 28 yo daughter was having a hard time falling asleep and after consulting the pharmacist at the pharmacy about appropriate dose, I started giving her 5 mg of melatonin, an over the counter supplement that seems to have worked well for her. Would this help you?

den4
03-02-11, 12:57 AM
My 28 yo daughter was having a hard time falling asleep and after consulting the pharmacist at the pharmacy about appropriate dose, I started giving her 5 mg of melatonin, an over the counter supplement that seems to have worked well for her. Would this help you?

I have no idea. I have never heard of it. I suppose it is something I am going to look into and try. :)

tipoo
03-02-11, 10:28 AM
I have no idea. I have never heard of it. I suppose it is something I am going to look into and try. :)

Its pretty well known and generally regarded as safe if not used long term.

I used to use a sleep aid program called Pzizz, you could give that a try too.

xrayspex27
06-28-11, 12:45 PM
I was just about to suggest melatonin. Works great.

Kaimei
06-28-11, 01:42 PM
Melatonin seems to work pretty good for a lot of people. It wasn't quite as effective for me - I would sleep pretty well for 2 - 3 hours, then be right awake again. Valerian root is an herbal sleep aid, and it works quite nicely for most of the people I know. It can have the side effect of extremely vivid and intense dreams - not nightmares, just crazy dreams.

And Lunesta - UGH! That taste was just HORRIBLE. I wanted to scrub my tongue to get rid of it.

Have you looked up sleep hygiene? There are some simple tips to help, and some things to avoid. One thing I have to stay away from is the computer - I've realized that I have to get away from it for about an hour before bed. It's too stimulating, and when I try to lay down for sleep, my mind is happily flittering through all the new stuff I just found, and new ideas about things to look into. Pretty much any stimulating activity will do that to me.

mischief_brewin
06-28-11, 02:13 PM
I second valerian root. I imagine you can get Celestial Seasonings Sleepy Time EXTRA tea in the states? It is a herbal tea mixture containing valerian and chamomile to promote relaxation and sleep and spearmint for taste(The EXTRA is key as the normal Sleepy Time doesn't contain valerian). Personally, I think it both tastes and works awesome. I've talked about this stuff in a couple other posts about sleep because I have a terrible time falling asleep and staying asleep. The stuff is $3.50 (Canadian) for a box of 20 bags.

Anyways, I've never tried a prescription sleep aid but I've probably tried just about everything available OTC and even some of it will give you a dirty hangover. So far the best thing I've found (besides smoking pot as that is my ultimate go-to for bedtime, Indica strains only, has been for years and will be for many more, but it's not everyones thing so I won't go there right now) is 5-10mg of melatonin and a cup or two of this tea before you go to bed and I'm usually out in about 30 minutes and wake up feeling pretty good.

Hope you find, or found, something that helps you because sleep troubles really suck!

Sandy4957
06-28-11, 11:32 PM
I had very serious problems with sleep for many years. The ultimate "cure" was to leave a work environment that had me constantly on edge.

But even that was not an instant cure. It still took about three years to completely recover the ability to sleep without sleep aids.

I did recover, though, so here's what worked for me. First, when things were very, very bad, I needed prescription sleep aids, namely Ambien. I had the regular IR, then took the ER or XR for a while. Even with that, I often did not sleep.

Eventually (over the course of probably a year), I started to really sleep with the Ambien. At some point, I started to sleep excessively, as in 12 hours per night. I wasn't waking up groggy, but I was just sleeping too much. So I cut back to 1/2 of the IR Ambien. Then when I was back to sleeping 12 hours on that, I cut it out completely.

But Ambien is kind of addictive and then I couldn't sleep without it, so I turned to Lorazepam, an anti-anxiety medication that helped me to fall asleep. At first, I couldn't sleep with just that. Then I could, but not for long. Eventually I was sleeping 10-12 hours per night with 1 mg Lorazepam. So I cut it to .5 mg. Over time, I was back to 10-12 hours a night with that. Then I cut it out entirely and now I occasionally take Melatonin (totally ineffective during most of this period, but now effective) and otherwise I sleep without any medications.

It can be a long, slow process, I'm sorry to say. But it can work and medication can be a part of it. You just have to be prepared to wean off of things as needed. I suspect that the routine is the biggest factor, and it's hard to develop that when you simply CANNOT sleep, no matter what you try. That's when the sleep aids become important.