View Full Version : Idiopathic Hypersomnia

jcargile
03-03-11, 01:17 AM
I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and hypersomnia early last year. When 6 months of using a CPAP machine at night failed to clear up the hypersomnia it was declared idiopathic and I started trials of various meds which, coincidentally, also are prescribed for ADHD. Turns out I have that too, just never realized it and always thought "oh that's just how I am". After trying Adderall (grrrr I'm grinding my teeth to stumps), Vyvanse (brrrrrr I'm freezing), and Dextroamphetamine XR (hey this isn't so bad but I can't sleep!) I finally found my way to Dextroamphetamine IR and couldn't be happier. I'm focused, awake (no more dozing off while driving yay!) and productive. Anyone else here with IH and ADHD?

kr1979
03-24-11, 06:37 PM
I also have been diagnosed with both ADD/Inattentive and IH. Such a rollercoaster ride trying to find the perfect medication after searching so long for proper diagnosis.
I had my second child 5 weeks ago today and am struggling with meds all over again. Currently on Adderall which is what I was taking before the pregnancy. Just doesn't seem to work as well but I'm pretty sure that has to do with hormones.

JR1973
03-29-11, 12:04 AM
Count me in. It's a ***** of a sleep disorder. Kind of like "Narcolepsy Lite". I'm currently on 30mg Adderall XR 2x a day and 250mg of Nuvigil. The Nuvigil helps fight off the sleepiness and the Adderall handles the rest (ADD).

nursenicole
04-02-11, 04:50 PM
Struggled with excessive daytime sleepiness, difficulty waking, difficulty driving due to sleepiness among other symptoms since high school. I take methylphenidate 20mg 2x a day for ADHD and didn't realize how much it helped these other symptoms until I went off it for a week when I ran out! I began to consider the possibility of IH when this happened but haven't seen a doctor yet. Got right back on the methylphenidate, though!

Nick The Newbie
04-20-11, 05:16 AM
(no more dozing off while driving yay!)
Scary or what? stay on the meds for other peoples safety....jk jk.

Nick The Newbie
04-21-11, 03:30 PM
But i think i might have Hypersomnia to though so i know how you feel... i need at least 10-12 hours of sleep.. and still tired after that... oh and my above post was a joke because i have it to...maybe.