View Full Version : Is there any valid argument on how

karbouris
03-03-11, 03:58 AM
much more addictive Desoxyn is then any other stimulant. I do not have a history of drug seeking behavior. Shoot I have a crap ton of bottles Dexidrene, Focalin, Adderall, even a half bottle of pain pills after I had surgery. They just sit there! I really want to try this ONE time. I really don't think of myself as a drug user or anything. I am just trying to get past the look of horror when I ask to try it lol. All I get is a rant on how addictive it is. Any Ideas?!?!?!

Macavity224
05-20-11, 10:39 PM
What are you on right now? Chances are, your pdoc will try to avoid prescribing Desoxyn unless it's an absolute last resort and you've tried everything else.

tambourine-man
05-22-11, 02:50 AM
Um, no offense, and I love the great Hunter, but your avatar and the famous quote it displays make you an unlikely cantidate for Desoxyn. I mean, I guess your doc wouldn't see it, but don't mention that a favorite author advocates dugs, sex and violence... Just kidding, but seriously, there is nothing more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of a Desoxyn binge! You better hope there's some thorazine in that bag!

JR1973
05-25-11, 10:46 AM
I can't think of a valid reason why desoxyn is any more addictive than any other stimulant. When dosed appropriately there is no reason in the world why it can or should have any more potential for addiction than any other amphetamine or methylphenidate product.

If desoxyn really did have that problem then it would most likely be a schedule 1 drug and impossible to obtain for medical use.

relax21
06-02-11, 03:48 PM
Is there any valid argument on how much more addictive Desoxyn is then any other stimulant.

Desoxyn (methamphetamine) breaks the blood brain barrier much easier and effectively than Dexedrine (amphetamine), therefore it is much more potent in stimulating the central nervous system and drastically less stimulating on the peripheral nervous system. Desoxyn also stays active in the brain longer than amphetamine and methylphenidate. If that wasn't enough, it absorbs more rapidly than other stimulant medications.

But, if taken at low therapeutic doses intended for ADHD, addiction is extremely rare. However, it is much more easily abused than other stimulants, not that other stimulants can't be just as easily abused, but because it's more potent on the central nervous system compared to other stimulants. So, if someone were to abuse this medication they'd develop tolerance very quickly and have a much higher chance of addiction to methamphetamine than to other stimulants.
I have a crap ton of bottles Dexidrene, Focalin, Adderall, even a half bottle of pain pills after I had surgery. They just sit there!

This is not a good example of being a non-drug abuser. Why are you saving these old prescriptions? You should refer to either your pharmacist, prescribing physician, or go to the FDA's website, so you can dispose of those medications safely and properly.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

karbouris
06-03-11, 03:39 PM
yeah, I (still) haven't tried it. I hate adderall and its other family members. I have taken Vyvanse for almost a month and its drives me crazy. People seriosuly prefer me to run around like a wild banshee and not make sense when I talk. Thats how hostile it makes me. I guess Ritalin is the drug for me. Also I keep most of my pills, because like today I can't get into to see my physc so I take its usually a lower dose so I can sit down and behave. I never abuse my meds, I just love Hunter S Thompson LMAO

Honeybadger
08-28-11, 04:51 AM
Properly used, desoxyn is as safe as any other ADD medication (no ADD stimulant is addictive if the dosages aren't raising dopamine/norepenephrine above normal. That's how the addictive properties of the meds work, by overstimulating/developing tolerances) But improperly used (too high a dose, not ADD,) desoxyn is far and away the most addictive ADD stim.

Alex9
08-28-11, 07:30 PM
Methamphetamine definitely is much more potent and addicting than other amphetamines. Relax21 summed it up pretty well. However, I think that addiction is not a huge issue with adhd meds in general as long as they are taken as prescribed.

Doctors usually avoid it under all circumstances for two simple reasons:

1. In our society, "Meth" has a pretty bad stigma attached to it because of drug abusers and addicts who manufacture and buy it illegally
2. Doctors are afraid of being liable. They are far less likely to get sued or investigate by the DEA if they stick to prescribing more common meds like adderall and ritalin. From a liability standpoint, prescribing Desoxyn is riskier for doctors.

Honeybadger
08-28-11, 09:36 PM
2. Doctors are afraid of being liable. They are far less likely to get sued or investigate by the DEA if they stick to prescribing more common meds like adderall and ritalin. From a liability standpoint, prescribing Desoxyn is riskier for doctors.

True, and not true. All of these ADD meds (wellbutrin and strattera excluded) are highly controlled substances in the same class.

Many docs are afraid of rxing adderall and ritalin, too.

The reason most docs don't prescribe desoxyn is because of the addictive properties, and because actually getting the drug in the patients' hands is a pain in the butt. Lots of calls to insurance companies, arguments with insurance companies about dosages, and finally, the med itself is often denied outright by insurance.