View Full Version : ADHD and narcolepsy / adderall and melatonin?

butterflyinrain
03-05-11, 07:18 PM
first of all excuse my english... i am an asian. ^^,

so my explanation is going to be a little long and complicated. co-ADD people i hope you guys finish reading it cause i am hoping to get some help.

I moved in United State Last year and i was diagnose 5 days ago to have an ADHD! (thank goodness for all i know is i am just crazy!) anyways, I was prescribe to take adderall 20mg. and after taking the pill for the first time in my life i felt normal and everything start to make sense (LOL) but the problem is i think i also have a narcolepsy. where in my body clock is so messed up it is so hard for me to fix it. Also i am having chronic sleep paralysis due to my narcolepsy. scary things always happen when i am about to wake up and sleep. cause my body does not really go to sleep i think.

Adderall helped me in tons of kind of ways. but my sleep problem got worst and i feel helpless! i talk to my doctor already about it, she gave me anti depressant pill together with adderall?! i thought it was retarded. both medicine have the opposite effect! and i dont think i want to try to combine them at the same time. and i am not depressed!!! i dont wanna kill my self. infact im so happy now after taking adderall.

so i heard that taking MELATONIN will help my problem. but i did a thoroughly research about it. and here is what i learned, adderall and melatonin have an opposite effect. BUT when Adderall/amphetamine is combine with melatonin it produce an over flooding of dopamine and serotonin in your brain that can cause cardiac and neurologic toxicity. and it is highly dangerous!

but at the same time i also do know that ADDERALL XR only stay on the system of an adult who have a normal weight for 10-11 hours. therefor it is safe to assume that if adderall was taken early in the morning after 12 hours onward a dose of melatonin isn't bad.

but i wanted to be sure. anybody have a knowledge for this?

how bout the long term effect of alternating the medicine even though they were not taken at the same time of the day?

another important question that i am trying to find out now is "how long does 3mg of melatonin stay effective on the body?
"how long does 5mg stay effective on your system? does it take longer?

hope you guys can share your point of view about this matter!
thank you!
;)

Blueranne
03-05-11, 07:37 PM
I've taken Adderall in the mornings and Melintonin at night for the last 3 or 4 months with no problem at all. I take about 20mg of Melitonin....

butterflyinrain
03-05-11, 07:50 PM
wow that's alot of melatonin.. thanks for the responce

butterflyinrain
03-06-11, 01:04 AM
I've taken Adderall in the mornings and Melintonin at night for the last 3 or 4 months with no problem at all. I take about 20mg of Melitonin....

what kind of melatonin you were taking. i mean brand

Blueranne
03-06-11, 01:07 AM
what kind of melatonin you were taking. i mean brand

TwinLabs

BrokenMirrors
03-06-11, 10:35 AM
Hmm.. you really need expert advice on this. But Aderall in the morning should keep you more awake and melatonin to fall asleep. They both dissipate from your body quite fast. Melanonin in minutes after you see sunshine (or similar light source). Adreall in half a day or so.. Don't use them at the same time.

butterflyinrain
03-06-11, 06:51 PM
yes! i got my melatonin yesterday and after 5 days i finally fall asleep and got my rest! 3mg of melatonin did the trick...

thanks for both of you for your advice ^^,)

Blueranne
03-06-11, 06:54 PM
Glad to hear it!

BrokenMirrors
03-07-11, 03:02 AM
Also check if smaller dose of melatonin helps. The research shows it does not improve quality of your sleep, but it helps to fall asleep at time you want. So as long as it serves this purpose, larger dose won't do better. But it might give you headache in the morning or groggyness.

JR1973
06-06-11, 04:23 PM
Ask your doctor about getting a prescription for Xyrem.