View Full Version : Cleaning

madman
03-06-11, 10:17 PM
I am started to clean up my place and I am taking a different approach. Instead of nitpicking, I just cleared out as much space as possible. I put all the clutter into bags and setting it aside in part of the room.

The plan is to go through each bag, until everything is either organized or thrown out.

Has this worked for any of you?

ADDequate
03-06-11, 10:58 PM
I am started to clean up my place and I am taking a different approach. Instead of nitpicking, I just cleared out as much space as possible. I put all the clutter into bags and setting it aside in part of the room.

The plan is to go through each bag, until everything is either organized or thrown out.

Nope. :rolleyes::p

wscc
03-06-11, 11:36 PM
Just see how long you can go without needing anything you've put away, then throw it all out. :)

glebo
03-07-11, 12:36 AM

IT does work until you need to look at the bag and say "ummm where does this go?" and then your pretty much back to step one again.

Karavicious
03-07-11, 12:38 AM
It works for me for about 3 days. Until I realize I need something in the clutter corner, and have to tear it all apart to find it. (And it's usually not there.)

HighFunctioning
03-07-11, 12:43 AM
I find that when I put clutter into containers like this, it just sits in these containers semi-indefinitely. Later on, I'll relegate it to another container, semi-indefinitely. The problem is that the larger the mess becomes, the less motivated that I am to actually cleaning it. I'm better off actually cleaning the mess in small chunks, but actually working towards cleaning the mess, as opposed to covering it up.

The key to keeping things in order is maintenance, especially for the ADHDer. Treatment helps one perform maintenance, but actually getting in the habit of performing maintenance seems harder than the actual maintenance itself. Once the issue snowballs, everything goes downhill for me, even with medication.

dopestep
03-07-11, 01:33 AM
i have like 10 shoeboxes in my room full of stupid junk i dont need.

and yet my room is still full of junk. oh well. doesnt really bother me anyways

zannie
03-07-11, 05:20 AM
High Functioning, I find this is so true for me. It is establishing the habit of maintenance that is the most difficult. I struggle with this all the time. Thanks for your post.

madman
04-23-11, 03:09 PM
Still cleaning. Made a bit of progress, but I realize that I should throw out at least 80% of my crap. This sucks.

fleurdelis
04-23-11, 04:13 PM
I'm doing the same things today. I call those boxes my "boxes of good intentions" :P
I always have perfectly good intentions to go through them but I never do. But it does help me get rid of the overwhelming clutter for the moment which for a while makes me feel better...baby step..baby steps

Cacho
04-24-11, 07:34 PM
Did just about this with my garage. Ended up donating / tossing out quite a bit of the stuff.

It's an effective strategy in that it makes use of the most important rule of cleaning up: separate the steps of identifying the objects that are making the mess and figuring out what to do with those objects.

woodye
05-16-11, 12:24 AM
look for 1 thing and view 1 other thing and another and another and another and yet another ad infinitum

Spacemaster
05-28-11, 09:15 AM
My mother and I do the same thing, with NO success! I have started to just set a timer. Not for long, 15 minutes, god knows any longer and I would lose focus. I limit myself to one room only. I don't even leave the room because when i do, the risk of distraction is too great. The hardest part is what to do first in that room? Prioritizing is a great struggle for me. So, my latest strategy is to set the timer and just...go. Just start doing stuff, put any trash you see in the garbage first. It's easy to recognise, you don't stand there trying to figure out where it goes, it goes in the trash! then just keep going, doesn't have to be in a linnear form, just do. just do do do until the timer ends. It's surprising how much better the place looks. Re-set timer and go to a different room!

Spacemaster
05-28-11, 09:17 AM
Spot on!