View Full Version : Seroquel

babidi
03-07-11, 07:38 AM
What's the best dose for sleep?

toothpick
03-07-11, 07:44 AM
depends on your weight and whatnot and i wish i cant legitimately give you this in the form of a expert opinion but as a 140lb male i was given 25mg's took one and never like how real my dreams seemed. that and feeling really disconnected the next day.

Marla911
03-07-11, 08:07 AM
it seems to be popular belief that the less you take of seroquel the more affective it will be for sleep related issues. I can personally take as little as 10-15mg and still find it ''effective'' (although it's hard for me to precisely tell because i have a bunch of 200mg and 100mg tabs that i break pieces off).

Personally i seem to be hypersensitive to the drug, it makes me fee like ive been hit by a train not that long after taking it, altho i can never sleep before a massive carb binge. in the morning and for about 6-8 hours after i wake up i get the suffocating under cotton wool feeling...here's the kicker though, i never actually feel like my sleep is that restful-except for right before i pass out and in the morning when i have to get up regardless of what time i took it the previous evening-, it's restless, i get that intensely vivid dream thing and when i was taking a higher dose (around 50, never over 100mg) it made me sweat so much it looked like i'd jumped in to a pool with my clothes on and then hopped straight into bed afterwards. no one (dr) seemed to be able to explain this bizarre side affect - the only reference i found to it was that if you were suffering some toxicity and likely to die at any moment - however i took it over some period and am obviously still here.

In conclusion, start small.

toothpick
03-07-11, 08:27 AM
it made me sweat so much it looked like i'd jumped in to a pool with my clothes on and then hopped straight into bed afterwards. no one (dr) seemed to be able to explain this bizarre side affect

yeah i found that happened to me every time and assume it was my dreams that would cause it but i didnt stick too it for very long and still have a whole bunch left over as i feel very skeptical about taking these as a sleep aid or even why i was given them in the firstplace for sleeping problem. also i found that i was very sensative to the temperature in the room. sorry i know you werent looking for a answer on it but i felt like throwing that out there.but my dreams were bad and i didnt like them they would cause me too wake up 4 hours after fallin asleep although id fall back asleep effortlessly.

Marla911
03-07-11, 08:58 AM
thanks good to know it wasn't just me. personally i can't stand the stuff and only really took it out of desperation for sleep (altho it wasn't prescribed for that initially) and still do have to on occasion-for want of something better.

you could be right about the dream/sweat thing, and even more right about the sensitive to temperature: i always feel cold when i go to bed so i have a lot of blankets, but in the AM after seroquel i would be intensely hot, even other people noticed the huge wet body-shaped sweat mark on my bed (you couldn't not)..so it was prob something to do with that.
to be fair though i think it is quite common to be prescribed for sleeping problems - it's quite (and i use this term loosely) effective for sleeping probs, and it's not known to be addictive like the barbiturates.

babidi
03-08-11, 08:16 AM
25 or 50 mg seems to be the most popular.

Don't want to go to high because of tardive dyskinesia.

I have access to ambien/stilnox as well. And I alternate seroquel and ambien for sleep.

I'm just using seroquel for sleep because I got it REALLY cheap (legally of course).

Amtram
03-08-11, 02:45 PM
Lower doses attach to your H2 histamine receptors. It begins to work on dopamine only after it runs out of histamine receptors, and becomes an antipsychotic after it runs out of dopamine receptors, and that's why it's used off-label for a lot of things besides psychosis. So, yeah, if you're using it for sleep, you want to use less of it, not more.

babidi
03-16-11, 01:39 AM
Which one would be the best dose for sleep? 25 mg or 50 mg? Or higher?

StoicNate
03-16-11, 01:46 AM

Have you tried Melatonin?
It's available in most grocery stores in the Sleep Aid section.

I use it when I can't get to sleep.

babidi
03-20-11, 10:10 AM
Lower doses attach to your H2 histamine receptors. It begins to work on dopamine only after it runs out of histamine receptors, and becomes an antipsychotic after it runs out of dopamine receptors, and that's why it's used off-label for a lot of things besides psychosis. So, yeah, if you're using it for sleep, you want to use less of it, not more.

What's the dose before it moves from histamine to dopamine receptors?

Basically, I want to know the best dose for maximum sedation (sleep).

babidi
03-20-11, 10:13 AM
Have you tried Melatonin?
It's available in most grocery stores in the Sleep Aid section.

I use it when I can't get to sleep.

I think Ambien and Seroquel are much better/stronger than Melatonin for sleep.

babidi
03-20-11, 10:19 AM
depends on your weight and whatnot and i wish i cant legitimately give you this in the form of a expert opinion but as a 140lb male i was given 25mg's took one and never like how real my dreams seemed. that and feeling really disconnected the next day.

Yeah, I know! I had a dream where my doc prescribed me Xanax. And when I woke up, I felt the doctor really prescribed me Xanax in real life! LOL!

sighduck
03-20-11, 10:20 AM
i still stand by my lavender tea :D works wonderfully

iwaw2f
03-20-11, 10:27 AM
What's the dose before it moves from histamine to dopamine receptors?

Basically, I want to know the best dose for maximum sedation (sleep).
Try 25 (sounds like you already did). If it didn't work, try 37.5 and then 50. I think 50 should def. work for sleep I haven't heard of many ppl taking more than that for stictly insomnia - other than ppl like me who moved up to that after developing some tolerance.

Amtram
03-20-11, 10:40 AM
Talk to your doctor. You shouldn't be deciding your own dose on a medication like this. Some people can go up to 250mg before getting any effect on dopamine, but Seroquel can have some dangerous side effects for some people even at low doses. Seriously. Your doctor absolutely, positively MUST know what dose you are taking of this in case you end up in the emergency room.

babidi
03-20-11, 11:02 AM
Great article on Seroquel!

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html

But it doesn't answer my question on what's the max dose before it transfers from histamine to alpha 1 receptors.

babidi
03-20-11, 11:12 AM
Talk to your doctor. You shouldn't be deciding your own dose on a medication like this. Some people can go up to 250mg before getting any effect on dopamine, but Seroquel can have some dangerous side effects for some people even at low doses. Seriously. Your doctor absolutely, positively MUST know what dose you are taking of this in case you end up in the emergency room.

I meant to write my previous question as to what's the dose before it transfers from histamine to alpha 1 (maximum sedation effect). Just want to know the cost effectiveness (dose) versus/and maximum benefit (sedation).

I'm aware of the potential side effects.

gnbeg
03-22-11, 12:07 PM

I've taken this Med for about 7 years. Started it as a sedative as Ambien, Lunesta, etc, didn't help. But, since starting seroquel, I've been diagnosed as bipolar. So my pdoc keeps me on it also for bipolar depression.

I'm struggling with my seroquel dosage right now. I've been on the full dosage 400mg before. And I found that it was too much. So groggy that I could barely get out of bed the next day. My wife tells me that I do not breath at times when asleep when I'm on higher dosages.

So I cut back to 200mg. Was working until around the holidays. Stress from the holidays and from home relationships. 200mg isn't getting it done right now. I probably going to have to move back up to 400mg.

I've been down as low as 50mg. But not in a long time. I have been wondering about developing tolerance.

The big issue that my pdoc keeps an eye on is diabetes. I get a blood test twice a year so he can check my glucose levels.

Xande86
08-14-11, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I would start on the smallest dose possible, maybe start at 25mg or smaller to see if does anything for you. I was put on 200mg as my first dose and i couldn't wake up for about 14 hours as was groggy the next day.

I would probably suggest to talking to your doc about another sleep aid if possible before going on seroquel though.

1dsx
09-16-11, 05:35 PM
For those of you that had night sweats, one of the known side effects of this drug is reducing the body's ability to regulate temperature correctly resulting in overheating. The manufacturer is very clear about being careful to avoid the sun and a few other bits I've forgotten that relate to heat for this reason.

I've just been prescribed it and I'll get the script in a week or so, so if I remember I'll pop back and let you know how I get on with each dose. It's being prescribed to help with sleep and anxiety I'm told.

blgw99
09-17-11, 12:24 PM
For me, at 50 mg it seems to work on both sleep and anxiety.

Cenzia
09-26-11, 11:14 PM
I take seroquel 400mg/day, 3 tablets at bedtime and 1 in am. Meds are for more than 1 condition many times. I take them primarily for thought disorder.