View Full Version : Meditation

red_onyx
03-09-11, 01:35 PM
Can meditation be used to treat ADHD?

I have been meditating for a few minutes every day in the last two weeks, and I don't think it is helping much. Perhaps I am not doing it right, or it barely helps.

anonymouslyadd
03-09-11, 04:15 PM
What do you mean by treating ADD? I'll try to explain how it can be used to help it. I use it when I'm feeling negatively. It will lift my mood when I am in this mental state. It can also be used to calm you down when you're hyper. Additionally, I've noticed a clearer mind when I'm done.

I do 20 minutes a session...

tipoo
03-09-11, 05:55 PM
Treat, I don't think so. Help, absolutely.

What does "a few minutes" mean? Probably a minimum of 20-30 minutes a day is needed.

red_onyx
03-10-11, 01:01 AM
I usually meditate for only 10 minutes. I am too hyper go to beyond that.

tipoo
03-10-11, 08:59 AM
I usually meditate for only 10 minutes. I am too hyper go to beyond that.

You'll have to work yourself up to it, you can't run a marathon on your first day exercising.

Bluerose
03-10-11, 02:20 PM
Meditation can become a spiritual experience. To begin with meditation resembles relaxation; you simply work to relax and quieten your mind. And it can be very beneficial. Mediating at the same time each day, in the same place, dressed comfortably, will help to make mediation a daily habit. As you feel more and more comfortable meditating, you can increase the length of time you sit.

thebvp
03-17-11, 01:06 AM
First, medical studies have been done on Buddhist monks who meditate regularly and their brainwaves are different. They're much calmer and slower. You can semi-permanently alter the way your brain works by meditating. That much has been proven.

Second, people often rave about how taking up a sport or exercising has been good for their ADD. Except for the calorie burn, meditation and sports are both therapeutic for basically the same reasons which I'll explain below. There really is little difference between the two in how they function.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that meditation has been one of the single most effective, non-medical ways I have dealt with my ADD. I think much of why people give it a bad rap is that they often practice the wrong type of meditation and it's particularly difficult for us. For most folks, meditating is like herding cats. For us, it's like herding a pack of 500lb cats stampeding like the running of the bulls, but in every direction. Of course, any Zen priest would tell you that if it's easy, you're doing something wrong.

Next time you see a crazy person on the street, try to figure out what's going on between their head and their body. 99% of the time, their body is one place, while their brain is in a completely different place. This is what makes them crazy. With me, my brain is almost always in a different place than my body. For example, I'm at work, but I'm thinking about what I'm going cook for dinner. Or I'm at home and I'm thinking about work tomorrow. My body is here and my brain is over there. Rarely, except when I am hyperfocused, are the two at the same place and at the same time. This is one of the primary problems with AD(H)D.

But if I can somehow bring the two together or somehow teach the two to work in tandem, then I've addressed a huge portion of my disorder. And that's exactly what Zen meditation is all about.

I practice sitting meditation, standing meditation, walking meditation, and even "chores" meditation (while doing the dishes, for instance) and all have been helpful. Mantras and other non-Zen meditation styles, however, have not been so helpful, mostly because the goal with them isn't usually to get your head and in the same place.

Anything you can do, really, to put the two together, is helpful. This is why taking up a sport can also be good. I recently took up judo and it has been amazing, partially because it allows me to burn some extra energy, but also because it forces my brain to focus on what my body is doing *right now.* I really have no choice in the matter.

It's not for everyone. I'm not the hyperactive subtype, so I may be at an advantage there. It's probably much more difficult for the folks who have to deal with the hyperactivity. I'm also probably lucky to have a therapist with an Eastern approach to his practice who happened to live in a monastery for 17 years, but also be receptive to it, myself. I couldn't imagine picking it up without help, either. It would just be too difficult and I wouldn't know what to do.

Seriously, though, meditation has easily been one of the best ways I have been able to treat my ADD.