View Full Version : Is it safe to be on a low carb diet while on Adderall?

shorelines__
03-10-11, 04:08 PM
Specifically Atkins?

I'm currently taking 30mg once daily, (prescribed) in the morning. I take it an hour before I eat breakfast. I started on the induction phase of Atkins yesterday and I felt great, focused, and I even jogged 2 miles. Today, I feel sore, headachey and foggy-brained.

This may just be my body adjusting to the diet, but I'm wondering if going into "ketosis" will decrease/increase the effects of Adderall or if the Adderall might decrease the effects of the diet?

I'm aware of the fact that Vit C and Tums can mess up and alter Adderall's effectiveness, but other than that is there anything else nutrition wise that I should know about?

nomannomad
03-10-11, 05:07 PM
I can't speak directly to the adderall connection, but I do know that the first few days of carb withdrawal are almost always unpleasant. Give it maybe a week and see how you feel.

BTW, I went on a carb cutting phase starting a few days ago. I am on a low dose of adderall and I can't say anything particularly notable has happened.

Good luck!

nomannomad
03-10-11, 05:24 PM
One more thing, both adderall and low carb diets, especially during the weight loss phase, up your need to drink fluids. Dehydration might explain your odd feelings.

shorelines__
03-10-11, 06:14 PM
Thanks for replying. Yeah, I think the symptoms are caused by my change in diet. Hopefully I'll adjust to the low carb thing quickly and Adderall doesn't throw it off.
As Adderall makes me thirsty, that, combined with the diet thirst has made me sure to drink tons of water to stay hydrated.