View Full Version : American Samoa Resources

08-17-04, 11:30 AM
Territory Mental Health and Substance Agency
For more information about admission, care, treatment, release, and patient follow-up in public or private psychiatric residential facilities, contact your Territory mental health and substance abuse agency:

Ulagalelei Lealofi, Ed.D., Director
Social Service Division
Department of Human and Social Services
Government of American Samoa
P.O. Box 997534
Pago Pago, AS 96799
Phone: 011-684-633-2609
Fax: 684-633-7852

Territory Protection and Advocacy Agency
Each State and selected Territories have a protection and advocacy agency that receives funding from the Federal Center for Mental Health Services. Agencies are mandated to protect and advocate for the rights of people with mental illnesses and to investigate reports of abuse and neglect in facilities that care for or treat individuals with mental illnesses. These facilities, which may be public or private, include hospitals, nursing homes, community facilities, board and care homes, homeless shelters, jails, and prisons. Agencies provide advocacy services or conduct investigations to address issues that arise during transportation or admission to such facilities, during residency in them, or within 90 days after discharge from them. Contact:

Protection and Advocacy
P.O. Box 3937
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799
Phone: 011-684-633-2441
Fax: 011-684-633-7286

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which are part of the Department of Health and Human Services, investigate some complaints about treatment facilities that receive Medicare and Medicaid funding. For further information at the national level, contact:

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
7500 Security Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21244-1850
Phone: 410-786-3000

San Francisco Regional Office (serves American Samoa)
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
75 Hawthorne Street, 4th Floor
San Francisco, CA 94105
Phone: 415-744-3501

Advocacy Organizations
The National Mental Health Association maintains a referral and information center and can help you locate local chapters. These local groups have information about community services and act as advocates for people unable to represent themselves. For more information about the association, write or call:

National Mental Health Association Information Center
2001 N. Beauregard Street - 12th Floor
Alexandria, VA 22311
Phone: 703-684-7722
Fax: 703-684-5968
Toll-free: 800-969-6642
(TDD): 800-433-5959

The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill maintains a helpline for information on mental illnesses and referrals to local groups. The local self-help groups have support and advocacy components and offer education and information about community services for families and individuals. For information about the Alliance's activities in American Samoa, contact:

American Samoa AMI
LBJ Tropical Medical Center
Pago Pago, AS 96799
Phone: 684-633-5139

Territory-representative consumer organizations are run by and for consumers of mental health services and promote consumer empowerment. These organizations provide information about mental health and other support services at the Territory level and are active in addressing and advocating for mental health system issues. For information about consumer activities in your area, contact:

Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum
942 Market Street, Ste. 200
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415-954-9988
Fax: 415-954-9999

National Asian Pacific American Families Against Substance Abuse (NAPAFASA)
340 East Second Street, Ste. 409
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Phone: 213-625-5795
Fax: 213-625-5796

The National Mental Health Consumers' Self-Help Clearinghouse, funded partly by the Center for Mental Health Services, promotes and helps to develop consumer-run self-help groups across the country. Technical assistance and materials are available on such topics as organizing groups, fundraising, leadership development, incorporating, public relations, advocacy, and networking. For more information, contact:

The National Mental Health Consumers' Self-Help Clearinghouse
1211 Chestnut Street, Suite 1207
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: 215-751-1810
Fax: 215-636-6312
Toll-free: 800-553-4KEY (539)

The National Empowerment Center is a Technical Assistance Center run by mental health consumers/survivors. The Center's mission is to carry a message of recovery, empowerment, hope and healing to people who have been diagnosed with mental illness. The Center provides information and referrals to consumer/survivor resources nationwide and offers technical assistance to individuals and groups involved in consumer empowerment activities. The Center distributes recovery-related publications and sponsors education and training activities. For information on consumer/survivor activities in your area, contact:

The National Empowerment Center
599 Canal Street
Lawrence, MA 01840
Toll-free: 800-769-3728
Fax: 978-681-6426
(TDD): 800-TTY-POWER (7693)

The Consumer Organization & Networking Technical Assistance Center (CONTAC), funded by the Center for Mental Health Services, is a resource center for consumers/survivors and consumer-run organizations across the United States. Services and products include informational materials; on-site training and skill-building curricula; electronic and other communication capabilities; networking and customized activities promoting self-help, recovery, leadership, business management, and empowerment. For more information contact:

Consumer Organization & Networking Technical Assistance Center (CONTAC)
P.O. Box 11000
Charleston, WV 25339
Phone: 888-825-TECH (8324)
Fax: 304-345-7303

Other Sources of Information
There, which is generally a part of the local government, may be useful. Other branches of your city or county government also may be able to help. For example, the education office might have information about help for children, and the agency for the aging might know about services for senior citizens. In addition, your family physician or area hospital may be able to make referrals. For legal advice, contact your local bar association. Also, your local library and telephone yellow pages may have resource lists for sources of help in your community.