View Full Version : Could this be dyscalculia?

hypergirl96
03-14-11, 12:13 AM
So, I was reading some posts earlier on the forum and someone mentioned dyscalculia somewhere down the line and I did some research on it and realized that a good number of the symptoms fit me. So I was just wondering if any of you out there who do have dyscalculia could take a look and give me some feedback. So here are the symptoms that I fit:

sometimes have trouble with + or - and confuse them. Even + and x
Had a hard time learning my times tables and still have trouble with them. Sometimes it takes me a long time before I can remember one.
I am really bad with mental math.
I will transpose, add in, or take out numbers sometimes when writing them down or recopying a problem.
I am really bad at judging time.
I am bad at percents and sometimes fractions, like if sometihing's on sale for 13% off, it will take me a looooooooooooong to to figure it out, and then I usually end up with the wrong answer anyway due to very poor mental math skills.
I sometimes have trouble keeping score during games and stuff, even if tallying.
I am bad at estimating when it comes to time, money and distances.
I am very bad at judging distances.
I have a hard time reading analog clocks.
I have truble addig and subtracting time.
sometimes have trouble counting things and usually have to count them a few times before I can be sure I got it right.
Reasons I don't think I have it:

I'm good at algebra (level I) and actually find it fun.
I was in the high math classes in grade and middle school (i am now a freshman in high school)
So, do you think I may have dyscalculia? Feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading. :)

Nitz
03-14-11, 01:03 PM
So, I was reading some posts earlier on the forum and someone mentioned dyscalculia somewhere down the line and I did some research on it and realized that a good number of the symptoms fit me. So I was just wondering if any of you out there who do have dyscalculia could take a look and give me some feedback. So here are the symptoms that I fit:

Had a hard time learning my times tables and still have trouble with them. Sometimes it takes me a long time before I can remember one.
I will transpose, add in, or take out numbers sometimes when writing them down or recopying a problem.
I am bad at percents and sometimes fractions, like if sometihing's on sale for 13% off, it will take me a looooooooooooong to to figure it out, and then I usually end up with the wrong answer anyway due to very poor mental math skills.
I sometimes have trouble keeping score during games and stuff, even if tallying.
sometimes have trouble counting things and usually have to count them a few times before I can be sure I got it right.

I was in the high math classes in grade and middle school (i am now a freshman in high school)

So, do you think I may have dyscalculia? Feedback is appreciated. Thanks for reading. :)

Some of the sympthoms mentioned above are part of an ADHD sympthom, as far as I know.

I have problems copying large numbers correctly and usually transpose them, mix + and - but not any other combination. As far as I know, Theyr'e part of my ADHD, as I have this problem in written words, numbers, and sometimes even speaking.
When it comes to the others, I don't know. :confused:

anonymouslyadd
03-14-11, 01:37 PM

Hypergirl!!!!!! The ADD brain has a poor concept of time. I'm the same as you poor at estimating distances. However, I'm fairly quick at figuring out how much change I'll get from a cashier.

A lot of what you spoke up there was just general ADD. I don't know anything about dyscalculia mind you.:)

hypergirl96
03-14-11, 07:36 PM
yeah, that's what I thought, but I wasn't sure.

Here are two links I found with the symptoms:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/dyscalculia-symptoms.html

http://www.learninginfo.org/dyscalculia.htm

A lot of them fit me (eve some i forgot to write down) but some seemed to overlap with ADHD symptoms. So I was just curious and wanted to know what everyone else thought.

Fortune
03-14-11, 07:51 PM
I don't think this sounds entirely like ADHD. I mean, I am almost entirely the opposite (except when it comes to estimating time and distance) of Hypergirl's list, and otherwise have pretty apparent ADHD symptoms.

Hypergirl,

If you think it's worth it to get tested for dyscalcula, then it probably is.