View Full Version : Anti-Anxiety Drugs, Dexedrine, Quitting Smoking?

abooth3
03-14-11, 02:29 AM
I'm taking Dexedrine (30mg Spansule AM; 10mg IR PM) and it has been great in treatment of my ADD.

However, I recently started smoking again due to bouts of anxiety that hit me in the evening. Smoking is the most theraputic thing I know of (which was why I started in the first place), and after 2 months cigarette free, I fell off the wagon and started smoking again.

What's a good Anti-Anxiety med for this issue? I know some people take Welbutrin, but these are more isolated incidents and I'm not depressed. Xanax or Klonopin seem like they might help, but I don't want cognitive impairment or addiction associated with them. Beta-blockers help with physical problems, but they don't really help emotional anxiety, right?

I'm lost in the woods here, any tips you guys could give? I know you're not doctors, but I'm just curious to know what options are out there that have given you success with ADD. I get anxious and can't sleep or focus. Cigarettes take that edge off, but I'm hoping there's another option. Thoughts?

murphy12
04-01-11, 11:58 AM
Hello,
I also want to quit my smoking habit. I am using these tips to quit. I think it will also helpful to you.
In the quits that failed, I was only half into it. I told myself I wanted to quit, but I always felt in the back of my mind that Iíd fail. I didnít write anything down, I didnít tell everybody (maybe my wife, but just her). This time, I wrote it down. I wrote down a plan. I blogged about it. I made a vow to my daughter. I told family and friends I was quitting. I went online and joined a quit forum. I had rewards. Many of these will be in the following tips, but the point is that I fully committed, and there was no turning back. I didnít make it easy for myself to fail.

When the urge comes, your mind will rationalize. ďWhatís the harm?Ē And youíll forget why youíre doing this. Know why youíre doing this BEFORE that urge comes. Is it for your kids? For your wife? For you health? So you can run? Because the girl you like doesnít like smokers? Have a very good reason or reasons for quitting. List them out. Print them out. Put it on a wall. And remind yourself of those reasons every day, every urge.

Bovinepart
04-22-11, 02:11 PM
Does anyone know if slow release DEX (D20) help with the peaks and valleys of D5 DEX because I am wondering if I can get my Doc to put me on them, will it help me in my quest to quitt smoking

I smoke and find that when I have a day without my meds I can go through the day easily without hardly thinking about having a smoke

But with the with the peaks and valleys I often have when I am on my meds I am itching for a smoke especially if I have left it a bit too long my next dose of DEX mainly due to my brain flittering (for want of a better word) and when I do have a smoke I find it levels me out so I can operate normally especially I am buzzing a bit

Also I find it hard with my work, dealing with customers removing myself to have my next dose when I should which kinda doesn't help me to have a level headed day :confused:

kinda sux because I have tried going of DEX for a while so I can quitt smoking and was reasonably successful (3 months) but not operating very efficiently and when I went back on the DEX the smokes came back too...

Macavity224
05-24-11, 08:17 PM
I'm actually in the same boat as you - I've been on SSRI's before and they made me feel horrible, and I'm not the biggest fan of benzos (Xanax, Klonopin, etc...). My therapist recommended a drug called gabapentin to me last time I spoke with her. From what I've read, it's used for nerve pain, as an anticonvulsant, and to help combat anxiety. I don't know a ton about it, but I'm going to talk to my pdoc about it when I see him later this week. Look into it.

cread408
05-28-11, 08:22 AM
wellbutrin is rx'd for smoking and anxiety.. wellbutrin is actually a nicotinic antagonist if i can correctly so it should help your smoking happit.. talk to your doc. and good luck on kicking the habit.. i for one know it tough.

jennyjay
06-07-11, 03:27 PM
Xanax. Very helpful because it kicks in quickly and does not last that long.

Mesaana
06-07-11, 03:39 PM
i smoke too, unfortunately... but i have more than one anxiety disorder, so unfortunately, i have to take large amounts of xanax.

i am also on prozac, however, even though i am not depressed, for my ptsd. it helps level me out and control my anxiety and anger. SSRI's are not for everyone, though. i reacted very badly to other SSRI's, Prozac was the only one that worked for me, and of course, the last one i tried...

i also take abilify, which helps the prozac work.

hollywood
06-07-11, 03:53 PM
I know that anxiety with adhd alot of times comes with stress overload. So, the mind often will pick something to obsess on and thats all you think about until another worry thought comes and replaces the existing worry. It kind of has it's own hierarchy. Well, this is how it works in my head atleast. I tried intuniv to see if that wouldnt calm it down and I'm not sure I ever really gave it a good chance , but hey when your worried your mind doesn't think with logic it just follows a sequence of the disorder that is preventing your true self from acting like who you really are. So the disorder or anxieties become generalized and you become just a mask behind it's evil that plays in your head. Anyways, I've been taking cymbalta here for a week and even on low dose it really does work rather quickly. I guess I wish I could remember things that I want to do today but maybe the side effects of not remembering what your interested in or what to do will fade... Forgetting and no memory aren't things you exactly want riding shotgun with adhd.