View Full Version : Are you forced to look for alternatives?

Asylum
03-14-11, 06:59 AM
How many are you are not on meds because you can't get them, thanks to the utter bull**** tied up in add meds in Oz, not to mention the limited choices if you are unemployed, and have you found anything else that helps?

Do any of you belong to support groups? I've found no evidence of support for people in Oz who have add, but i live in a backwater city. I don't think i've even met anyone who believes in it.

tudorose
05-15-11, 08:37 AM
How many are you are not on meds because you can't get them, thanks to the utter bull**** tied up in add meds in Oz, not to mention the limited choices if you are unemployed, and have you found anything else that helps?

Do any of you belong to support groups? I've found no evidence of support for people in Oz who have add, but i live in a backwater city. I don't think i've even met anyone who believes in it.

It's hard in Oz coz there are so many people to abuse it. I'm not sure how much of a problem this is elsewere in the world.

Basically there is no support that I know of (that is accessible) for ADHD. In Perth we have LADS but they're in Subiaco and if you live south of the river it's not easy to get to.

That's why I come here. Although it would be good to have this Australian section more visible. The activity level is low here coz we can't see the posts from the main screen. And sometimes I wish I could talk to more Aussies coz things I say often get misinterpreted coz we have a different was of communicating in Oz to other parts of the world - more blunt, take the pi$$ out of ourselves and others...even the language.

I wonder how many people could translate this sentence "Bazza and Shazza listened to Acca Dacca on their way to Maccas". Not many I reckon.

Lunacie
05-15-11, 08:48 AM
I live in the other Oz - Kansas. I don't have any health insurance to get a diagnosis or meds so I take supplements. Luckily for me, the Omega 3 (fish oil) really helps me. I tried one of my granddaughter's Concerta pills one day out of curiousity and couldn't tell that it did anything for me that the Omega 3 does.

There are no support groups for ADHD in my area. There are a couple in Kansas City I think, but that's a 3 hour drive, each way. Like tudorose, I find my support and information here in this forum.

dsvlil1
05-15-11, 09:40 AM
I wonder how many people could translate this sentence "Bazza and Shazza listened to Acca Dacca on their way to Maccas". Not many I reckon.

No waccas, makes perfect sense to me:cool:

As for support groups, pffft, they're all too disorganised or largely useless. Though ADDult was invaluable at locating an appropriate professional to take me seriously when I was first looking into add.

kathiepeterson
05-19-11, 08:10 PM
I live in the other Oz - Kansas. I don't have any health insurance to get a diagnosis or meds so I take supplements. Luckily for me, the Omega 3 (fish oil) really helps me. I tried one of my granddaughter's Concerta pills one day out of curiousity and couldn't tell that it did anything for me that the Omega 3 does.

There are no support groups for ADHD in my area. There are a couple in Kansas City I think, but that's a 3 hour drive, each way. Like tudorose, I find my support and information here in this forum.

lol @ another Oz-- Kansas. witty!

im not too big on alternative meds too but when my aunt asked me to do some research on alternative medicine for ADD, i had to do a lot of my own reading about alternative meds. i came across omega 3 alleviating symptoms of mood disorders so we got some fish oil capsules from maxalife. so far, so good. i think i want to take some myself because i have a heart condition, hypertension, and severe dry eyes. =(