View Full Version : Can I be good in school AND have ADHDI?

kerbycheyenne
03-15-11, 02:23 AM
So I went onto many websites and discovered that I have almost every sympton of ADHD inattentive, and these symptoms are both present at home and at work, but at school they aren't present. I'm a very good student and always have been. Is it possible to be a perfect(well very good) student and still have ADHD inattentive? http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://www.addforums.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1045223)

Parrot1
03-15-11, 12:48 PM
Yes. The maximum possible grade where I went to high school is 20.00. I had 19.87. I even got scholarships. So that isn't possible to use as a negative corollary. However, if you are worried, and feel that you have troubles in life stemming from this I strongly urge you to see a psychiatrist.

lingslp
03-15-11, 02:18 PM
Yes! I get really good grades and have ADHD!

tipoo
03-15-11, 06:56 PM
I did great in high school, its not a requirement to do badly. 'Course, I later ran into a brick wall with university.

mctavish23
03-15-11, 09:40 PM
Yes. Definately.

Academic achievement is only one part of the "equation."

Excellent question btw.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

hypergirl96
03-15-11, 09:50 PM
Yes. I've had good grades my whole life and I'm combined-type (yes, infiltrating the innatentive foruum again, but this question was too good to pass up ;)). And my dad, ADHD-I (but he's more of the overfocused type) had an over 4.0 GPA in high shool, got scholarships in college and went to Carnagie Mellon University (major nerd school for those who were wondering) to study engineering and graduated on a scholarship with great grades and got his masters. We also call him the walking encyclopedia because he seems to know just about everything. This dued's uber-uber smart, ya know. So, yes, it is definately possible.

Nitz
03-16-11, 09:34 AM
Yes it is, many ADHDers here in my country are diagnosed after forgetting TO DO THEIR HOMEWORK but scoring 90% and more of the maximum score possible in each school test(a passing grade is 55% and up).

Padme
03-16-11, 08:18 PM
Definitely! I'm obviously not a teen (lurking for my teen) but I saw this and had to comment.

I have a master's degree and ADHD. I didn't really hit the wall until I got my first job and was in charge of a house and a checking account. I always loved learning and I think that's what allowed me to fly under the radar so long. Looking back there were signs but basically, yes, you can do well in school and have ADHD.

Oh and I got diagnosed thanks to my son. We took him back to the psychologist because school became too tough after he was moved to gifted classes. He gets 100's on tests and 0's on homework. He's a chip off the old block!

Spaced_In
04-11-11, 04:43 AM
yes you can have adhd and do really well in school. most adhd people are naturally book smart i think, (well almost every sinlge person i know with adhd are quite smart) they just need to concentrate and focus to get to their full potential. Maybe you just have strong willpower at school to not let it affect you

stef
04-11-11, 05:59 AM
certainly, I had almost straight A's in high school and a 3.5 in college.
The rest of my life, however, was an unorganised disaster (room/locker/backpack/ any kind of organisation, etc) ; I "hit the wall" as everyone says here, at 39.

ADDspacecadet
04-11-11, 10:14 AM
I also agree that you can do well in school and have ADD. I was fine up until high school when my anxiety started to skyrocket and mild depression set in...that tended to complicate things for me. However, I still did alright in highschool, but I was miserable and running around at the last minute a lot. I'm getting off track, but yeah I'd say you can do well in school and still have ADD. It really depends on the person and what they tend to focus on. However, often if you have ADD you'll tend to do schoolwork and learn a little differently than your peers. At least that has been my experience.

Billy79
04-11-11, 11:02 AM
yes again. I was in top two of all the classes, ( at least when until I was 17- later I choose a simpler kind of study, (art) but later when I reached more adult life I often felt like a dumb insecure child with all a lot of wierdness in the head. I have pondered about this sometimes and share your questioning. I think some of the reason is that the school as a lot of bounderies which limits the chaos; the length of a school hour, you get some paper on the desk and you just must do it. A lot of the school is quite passive, and therefore it dissolves a lot of the choices and impulses you would else had would allowed to play out. I also was a competetive student. I never did homework, (the horror, the horror) :) except I read the subject the day before an
task. ( I doubt if I could do that now) Very often if they say we should go through a subject which we should read home, I just read superfast in the book at the same time as the teacher asked open questions to the class.
I also think since we are lazy, we look for the big picture and developed a skill to what they would ask for in diff task and so on