View Full Version : Insomnia cured: Philips GoLite Light Therapy Device

MacMan
03-15-11, 07:58 AM
Thanks to everyone who commented on my last thread about the insomnia I was experiencing.

I found something that got rid of it :)

I've been wanting to try light therapy (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/light-therapy/MY00195) for some time now as it has been proven to help with seasonal affective disorder and is also being studied for ADD, insomnia, circadian rhythm disorder, and other mood & sleep related issues.

After reading "the four hour body" and hearing Tim Ferris rave about "the philips golite" I decided to order one from Amazon and give it a try.

I used it twice, for a total of 40 minutes yesterday. There are 3 intensity settings (I was using low). I felt more energized during and after the first treatment (which is why I did another later in the day). I used to live in Florida and I would compare it to walking outside on a BRIGHT and SUNNY day.

It definitely gave me an energy boost when my Adderall wore off. This I'm sure of. Coincidentally I was able to sleep great last night; which would be the first full nights sleep I've gotten while on over 10mg of Adderall (I took two 20mgXR's yesterday).

So either this light helped with my insomnia or it was a coincidence. I don't think it was a placebo effect, I honestly forgot about it and it was the last thing on my mind during the night. We'll see if it works again tonight. I slept in yesterday until 11AM (took Adderall at this time) and went to bed @ midnight (I didn't take Adderall on Saturday so I was able to sleep in Sunday). Usually it would be impossible for me to fall asleep having gotten up so late; add adderall into the equation and it really seems like this light helped.

The one thing I am certain it does is give me an energy boost. Again, it's like walking outside in Florida on a really sunny day.

I'll update this and let everyone know whether it helps tonight or not.

MacMan
03-15-11, 08:45 AM
You do get a minor headache if you use it too long. I just found that out. I used it for 35 minutes this morning on Medium setting (while I was composing that last post) and I have a very minor headache--the kind you get from light. It's not that bad though. Tomorrow I'll shorten the duration.

Jester
03-15-11, 09:03 AM
Just don't go blind watching the light

MacMan
03-15-11, 12:26 PM
Just don't go blind watching the light

haha. I should have mentioned that you don't actually look directly at the light. It sits 1-2 feet away from my left side.

tipoo
03-15-11, 01:33 PM
I was looking into these a while ago, it seems like a good idea. Its expensive though. Any similar alternates?

Jester
03-15-11, 04:15 PM
I was looking into these a while ago, it seems like a good idea. Its expensive though. Any similar alternates?

Convince your girlfriend to buy it. Come up with sexual motives. She'll never suspect a thing.

MacMan
03-15-11, 07:21 PM

Did you see the cheaper one (http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hf3321-60-Golite-White/dp/B003XN9ZQQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1300230842&sr=1-2) on Amazon? I got the $99 version. The one going for $149 is pretty much the same w/ a few un-needed extras. You could also try the Nightwave sleep assistant (http://www.amazon.com/Nightwave-Sleep-Assistant-Nw-102-Original/dp/B0036FJ7AU/ref=pd_sim_hpc_3). It's $56 on Amazon - It projects a blue dot on the ceiling and you synchronize your breathing with it for 7+ minutes. It's supposed to be relaxing enabling you to fall asleep.

It's been all over TV the past few months. I first heard about it in the four hour body but Dr. Oz recommended it too. Tim Ferriss was on the view a few months ago promoting his new book & he briefly demonstrated it. You can see the episode on his blog. I was going to order both but I wanted to experiment w/ one at a time first.

surferdude123
03-15-11, 07:59 PM
Great news.

I am all for alternative medicine and this looks pretty good.

let me know how it goes.

eyentp
12-22-11, 02:05 PM
This is alternative medicine that is backed by science. It's great for helping you re-align your circadian rhythm and alleviate symptoms of SAD.

45 minutes might be overkill though, it's mostly recommended within an hour of waking up for about 20-30 minutes on the most intense level.

I found an excellent pre-Phillips light machine (Phillips bought this company and now markets it as their device) on eBay for less than $50

Unknown13
08-10-13, 04:52 AM
I'm interested in Philips Golite and I read that if you are suffering from a bipolar disorder or eating psychotropic medications and also medications which provides photosensitive reactions.

I wonder if anyone using Concerta, Ritalin or taking other like that.

I take a medicine called Tetracycline Meda that is a bacteriostatic drug. It belongs to a group of antibiotics called tetracyclines and contains the active substance tetracycline. Tetracyclines are known as broad spectrum antibiotics. This means that they appear in many different kinds of bacteria.

Tetracycline MEDA are used for treating certain lung infections and vaginal infections. The medicine may also be used for sinusitis when not usual penicillin has helped. Although Lyme disease and acne can be treated with Tetracycline Meda.

I wonder if is safe to use Philips Golite? Have no clue if the drugs are psychotropic :S