View Full Version : Help! Alternative medication!

eccentric
03-17-11, 12:49 AM
Hello,
Is anybody taking alternative meds and has been suggessful with it.
I have been on WELLBUTRIN and almost lost all of my hair. Since I have stopped, my hairlose is almost nil. So thats why I would like to try some none chemical alternative.

hollywood
03-17-11, 08:52 AM
probably male pattern baldness.

Lunacie
03-17-11, 10:01 AM
I'm not really familiar with Wellbutrin but did a google and it seems that hair loss can indeed be a side effect of this medication. Two of the commonly prescribed stimulant meds, Vyvanse and Concerta, also list the possibility of hair loss.

However, no studies have been done to prove that any of these meds caused the hair loss rather than genetics or illness or some other factor.

If you would seriously like to try an alternative to the usual meds for ADHD, the only thing that has any studies to show a possible benefit is for Omega 3 (fish oil) supplements.

I've seen some suggestions that along with promoting bone health, Vitamin D3 may promote hair health. A lot of people are deficient in Vitamin D3, that might be worth trying as well.

AbsentMindProf
03-17-11, 11:50 AM
Just a quick comment -- ALL medications are chemicals. Alternative, natural nutritional supplements are chemicals. People that sell alternative medications often use the word "chemical" to describe mainstream medications because the word calls to mind horrific images of drinking household cleaners or something like that. :D In reality, though, it's a misuse of the word. WATER is a chemical (H2O).

The distinction, I guess, is between manmade chemicals and natural ones, with the (often unspoken) implication being that "natural = good and safe". I should emphasize, however, that "natural" does not necessarily equal "safe". For example, there are wild mushrooms that are **HIGHLY** poisonous. Some things you find in the woods will flat-out kill you if you eat them -- yet they are 100% all natural.

On the other hand, many of the synthetic medications are designed to closely mimic the actions of compounds that naturally occur in the brain.

I know this sounds a bit pedantic but I think it's important to keep in mind that we shouldn't assume that natural = safe or that synthetic = unsafe. The important issue, in my view, is whether or not there is convincing evidence that a given supplement or drug is safe and effective.