View Full Version : ADHD, NVLD, Asperger's, Depression or just stupid & spoiled?

Nitz
03-17-11, 06:44 PM
That's it, I'm completely & utterly confused by my diagnoses and the daily problems causing them...And I know I should know what IS exactelly my problem in order to get more specific help...So I need some advice...

My reasons to suspect that I have...

ADHD because:
-I have a short attention span. A REALLY short one.
-I'm impulsive.
-I'm disorganized.
-I have nearly every inattentive, disorganized and impulsive sympthom in the criteria, most of them pretty badly.
-My preteen sister has the classic ADHD & dysgraphia.
-2 of my cousins also have it.

NVLD because:
-I don't understand social cues unless verbally said.
-I have problem understanding written questions correctly.
-I take things the way they are - I hate key words, metaphores, hiddem meanings or anything similar.
-It's always been hard, and at a younger age even impossible, to understand a joke.
-My mom says so, and she took me for many diagnoses because of that.
-My social life is made of a few guy friends with ADHD+Depression, some kind of not caring about anything but programming and things related to it, a phillosopher who's younger brother has PDD(high-functioning), and a fiance'e with PDD+Asperger's.
-I have no idea if I have been tactless. Improved by verbal feedback from the enviroment over the years.
-I have a monotonous voice. I've learned to fake tones within the years.
-I don't speak "girl language". I'm even more boy-ish in that way than boys.

Asperger's because:
-I don't understand social cues unless verbally said.
-I take things the way they are - I hate key words, metaphores, hiddem meanings or anything similar.
-It's always been hard, and at a younger age even impossible, to understand a joke.
-My social life is made of a few guy friends with ADHD+Depression, some kind of not caring about anything but programming and things related to it, a phillosopher who's younger brother has PDD(high-functioning), and a fiance'e with PDD+Asperger's.
-I HAVE to obsess over something. I can't help it in any possible way.
-At a younger age, I had some rituals and/or a routine, pretty inflexible from what I heard.
-I need someone to tell me that I'm boring, unless I won't get it.
-I have no idea if I have been tactless. Improved by verbal feedback from the enviroment over the years.
-I have a monotonous voice. I've learned to fake tones within the years.
-I don't speak "girl language". I'm even more boy-ish in that way than boys.

Depression because:
-I have a really really low self-esteem, and for some reason others say that I look like a monster just to myself, and at some few days I even believe them.
-I find it impossible to forgive myself.
-I have cut myself 5 times by now, and tries to avoid it because I know others will be sad from it.
-I often think about how to commit suicide.
-The only reason I don't commit suicide is because my fiance'e & family will be broken apart mentally as a result.
-I often hate the previous reason, and ask my fiance'e why won't he find any other girl who is smart, beautiful, loving, and SANE?!
-Ever since I stopped using my antidepressants, I get a bad mood from the most minor things, and it ruins my ability to somehow focus, stay completely awake, fall asleep, some times even talk more than just short yes-no answers and short sentences, and sometimes even think.

Just a stupid & spoiled brat because:
ADHD is:
-Extremely over-diagnosed in my country.
-Often diagnosed below the age of 10, while I was diagnosed at age 15.10 .
-Often causes problems before high school.

NVLD is:
-Also a problem with visual memory. My visual long-term memory is my best one.
-Also a problem with every visual cognitive quality, while my visual cognitive qualities are better than my verbal.
-Also a problem with math. I just need to do my homework to pass medium difficulty math testes, and if I'd study & listen & do my homework last year, I'd excel in the highest math testes.

Asperger's is:
-Often diagnosed with childhood, and the only thing the psychiatrist found when I was a child was emotional difficulties and problem related to the line between real & imaginary. I was NOT diagnosed at the expected age.
-A part of it is also fearing changes & a strict routine. I only hate last-minute changes, get bored when put on a routine, and therfore dislike it.
-Also being unable to change your sympthoms. I eventually followed the explained social cues, faked tones, stopped talking nonstop only about my obsessions, forced myself to change them & tried to mask them, & stop myself when someone says what I'm doing is inappropriate.
-I want someone to discuss things of interest, usually my guy friend with the PDD brother.
-I eventually wanted to have same-sex friends, usually as a barrier to defend myself from bullies.

Depression is:
-A chemical imbalance in the brain. Not what happens to spoiled brats when they open their eyes.

Sometimes I wage the chances that after all, I'm just a stupid, spoiled brat that has no idea how to live on her own(shining example: London Tipton from Zach & Cody), depends on others, and uses some neuro-psychological difference to use it as an excuse.

daveddd
03-17-11, 06:51 PM
go to the doctor for cutting yourself

thats actually most commonly associated with borderline personality disorder

along with the impulsiveness , and mood/depression issues

not diagnosing , but it fits that better. adhd and learning disorders dont often involve self injury

Nitz
03-17-11, 07:04 PM
go to the doctor for cutting yourself

thats actually most commonly associated with borderline personality disorder

along with the impulsiveness , and mood/depression issues

not diagnosing , but it fits that better. adhd and learning disorders dont often involve self injury
I ALWAYS have low self-esteem, self-worth and mood. I don't have unstable relationships.

daveddd
03-17-11, 07:15 PM
I ALWAYS have low self-esteem, self-worth and mood. I don't have unstable relationships.

sounds like me

i have chronic bipolar depression and some types of anxiety

depression treatment(meds) helped some with my self esteem issues, for me, they are mostly caused by dwelling on/ ruminating about negative or perceived negative moments

cutting yourself is also related to chronic depression, impulse disorders, and eating disorders

out of curiosity , when you engage in self injurious behavior does it result in a relief of a tension or high anxiety like feeling (not trying to diagnose , i asked for personal reasons)

Nitz
03-20-11, 09:42 AM
sounds like me

i have chronic bipolar depression and some types of anxiety

depression treatment(meds) helped some with my self esteem issues, for me, they are mostly caused by dwelling on/ ruminating about negative or perceived negative moments

cutting yourself is also related to chronic depression, impulse disorders, and eating disorders

out of curiosity , when you engage in self injurious behavior does it result in a relief of a tension or high anxiety like feeling (not trying to diagnose , i asked for personal reasons)
It results in relief and a distraction from the emotional pain.

fracturedstory
03-21-11, 06:22 AM
Not everyone gets diagnosed with ADHD and AS in childhood. AS is a relatively new diagnoses. I'm a text book case of high functioing autism even though when I was younger my symptoms where more severe than most kids that have a diagnoses of high functioning autism and have ABA therapy.

Also I'm not sure why your friend has both AS and PDD. PDD is atypical autism, Asperger's is high functioning autism without speech delays and a strong verbal IQ. You can't have both.

I don't know why you think you are a stupid spoiled brat. I fail to understand what the word stupid even means. It's usually used to insult a person because they have a lack of knowledge in just one area and is not reflective of your overall intelligence.

Personally you could have AS, ADHD and depression. Those NVLD symptoms could just as well be AS.
And what's this about not being able to change your symptoms? If I couldn't change my symptoms I would still not talk to anyone apart from basic words, I'd not be able to buy my own things and I'd definitely not be able to write a post like this. Symptoms can be overcome.

Anyway, hope you work it all out.

Nitz
03-22-11, 09:37 AM
Not everyone gets diagnosed with ADHD and AS in childhood. AS is a relatively new diagnoses. I'm a text book case of high functioing autism even though when I was younger my symptoms where more severe than most kids that have a diagnoses of high functioning autism and have ABA therapy.

Also I'm not sure why your friend has both AS and PDD. PDD is atypical autism, Asperger's is high functioning autism without speech delays and a strong verbal IQ. You can't have both.

I don't know why you think you are a stupid spoiled brat. I fail to understand what the word stupid even means. It's usually used to insult a person because they have a lack of knowledge in just one area and is not reflective of your overall intelligence.

Personally you could have AS, ADHD and depression. Those NVLD symptoms could just as well be AS.
And what's this about not being able to change your symptoms? If I couldn't change my symptoms I would still not talk to anyone apart from basic words, I'd not be able to buy my own things and I'd definitely not be able to write a post like this. Symptoms can be overcome.

Anyway, hope you work it all out.

My fiance(more than a friend) has an autism spectrum disorder for sure, suspected AS, but is now diagnosed as PDD. Living with the sympthoms is not simple for both of us, but somehow we're not so different(the differences are that he never learned to keep quiet, I dislike chitchat more than he does, dislikes being around people and unlike me is not underweight so tight clothes bother him(they're just not tight to me...>>)). He is now finding out about his diagnoses in order to go to some high school graduaters on the autistic spectrum summer camp of testing high-tech products.

I know that if I was 100% sure I have ADHD and/or AS it'll be because when my mom took me to a psych at age 6 for talking only about the Teletubbies, strict rituals/routine, and having no friends, I'd be diagnosed as having both or either. I was diagnosed as having DCD(a motor skill disability) at age 14, AD/HD at age 15.10, and got antidepressants for cutting myself and being in a generally crappy mood for over 6 months at age 16.2.
The thing that makes me question the last one is that I got into that mood for realizing I'd never be a doctor, painfully giving up anatomy for good, and forcing myself NOT to suffocate my ex. It resulted in me seeing TV shows about the overdiagnosed ADHD in my country, suspecting I'm not so different than my preteen sister(with "tigger-ish"/mainly hyperactive ADHD type), and resulting in my neurologist suspecting I have either DCD+ADHD+LD; NVLD or AS, and lecturing my mom for mot realizing I have a severe Attention Deficit Disorder. She then admitted some other suspected it, along with NVLD, Psychosis, Asperger's and more.

P.S: Is it common for ADHD kids to talk at a later age (but still under the norm)?