View Full Version : So many questions...

m1trLG2
03-18-11, 04:26 AM
I have a lot of questions about tourettes and really hope I don't offend anyone.

The first thing I'm wondering is if there are different degrees of it? My understanding is that it's like having these uncontrollable urges. Like you HAVE to do something, your tic. So what I mean by degrees of it is lets say you have this urge to say a word but you can prolong needing to say it for like 10 seconds (this may be too long idk) but another person can only prolong it for like 1 second. Would this be like a variation in the intensity of the disorder?

Sorry if this question makes no sense or is thought to be offensive. I don't really feel I understand a lot about this. I'm trying to figure out a few things. Mostly, I have been diagnosed with OCD tendencies and I'm wondering how OCD differs from touretts. There are some things that I can prolong like tapping things etc. But then I have these urges to clench or roll my shoulders or most recently grind my teeth. I find it very hard to not do these things. In fact clenching is impossible to not do. The confusion I have is OCD is supposed to be compulsions which to me indicates repeating the same "ritual" but mine change. It's also not associated with luck or anything but more like I can't have peace until I do things. Like my head will literally explode if I don't satisfy this 'need'.

Anyway, can anyone help clarify this? I have had some vocal 'urges' in the past (more when I was younger) where I felt like I couldn't de-loop until I had said a specific word but none in the last few years. Now it's mostly physical things like clenching fists or shoulders etc. I guess I'm just wondering if this could be a less severe form of touretts or if it's an all or nothing or if I'm like totally way off.

Once again, sorry if my ignorance to this topic is offensive to anyone.

Don S.
03-18-11, 10:20 AM
Your question is most interesting as well as astute. In brief, I hold that TS is nothing other than a distinct variation of OCD. Instead of bizarre rituals, those with TS manifest their symptoms as tics, verbal and physical.

In regard to degrees of the affliction, it ranges from mild to severe (debilitating in relatively rare cases). The definition of TS has been greatly expanded over the years, partly, to be frank, for economic reasons. (That is, to lift it from “orphan disease” status in an attempt to generate more governmental funding.). There has been a downside element to this as well, though.

When I have more time, later today or tomorrow, I shall give you a more comprehensive answer. In the interim, you might want to read my recent post entitled "An alternative view of TS.”
<O:p</O:p
Cordially,
</O:p
Don S.

m1trLG2
03-18-11, 12:47 PM
Thank you so much for the response and I will! I look forward to hearing more.

daveddd
03-18-11, 02:06 PM
in the psychoanalytical world it goes along with the defense mechanism labeled "undoing"

just another point of view

i was actually just thinking about this yesterday, the relation with what you mention and self injurious behaviors and impulse control disorders

studies and things suggest the person feels a uncontrollable tension , before committing self-harm or different impulse control behaviors

i wonder if there is a relation

i couldnt find anything great right away on undoing , but ive read a lot about it

here is a basic link if interested
http://books.google.com/books?id=idkA0fC4UO8C&pg=PA196&dq=undoing+defense+mechanism&hl=en&ei=-JyDTds77oXRAdnFmdMI&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CDUQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=undoing%20defense%20mechanism&f=false

m1trLG2
03-18-11, 02:09 PM
I'm not familiar with the term "undoing". Do you know who's theory it is? Your post sounds very much on target for what I'm wondering. I was also a self-injurer when I was younger. I felt these strong urges to cut myself or I thought I'd explode. Very much an impulse thing again. I'm interested in "undoing".

daveddd
03-18-11, 02:12 PM
I'm not familiar with the term "undoing". Do you know who's theory it is? Your post sounds very much on target for what I'm wondering. I was also a self-injurer when I was younger. I felt these strong urges to cut myself or I thought I'd explode. Very much an impulse thing again. I'm interested in "undoing".

freud...

daveddd
03-18-11, 02:32 PM
i have a impulse control disorder order, doing it relieves tension of some sort

i have what i would call a very occasional vocal tic

after awhile i noticed it would happen while i was ruminating on a stressful event, usually one that was perceived a lot more negative than it actually was (because of social anxiety)

i start to involuntarily ruminate and it starts to really start causing psychic distress , that is when the "tic" occurs , at that point the distress seems to cease

m1trLG2
03-18-11, 02:48 PM
Interesting. Embarrassingly I am not well versed in Freud's work because I tend to take a more cognitive stance to psychology but this is interesting. It definitely fits with TS or a lot of 'impulse driven' problems. Thank you.

daveddd
03-18-11, 04:05 PM
i have a impulse control disorder order, doing it relieves tension of some sort

i have what i would call a very occasional vocal tic

after awhile i noticed it would happen while i was ruminating on a stressful event, usually one that was perceived a lot more negative than it actually was (because of social anxiety)

i start to involuntarily ruminate and it starts to really start causing psychic distress , that is when the "tic" occurs , at that point the distress seems to cease

it didnt phrase this correctly

i have an impulse control disorder, plus here and there i have vocal tics because of the situation above